Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:58 PM

44 posts, read 168,153 times

Advertisements

I need information on people who have left S. Florida (Miami) and
have moved into Central Florida. Has the move for you been for
the better? or have you decided that it was not worth it.

Regarding: Crime, Lifestyle, Quality of life, Economics, Schooling
basicallyt anything you can tell.

We have been planning on moving for the last year but now we
are much closer to making the move, hopefully within a few months.

Thank you all for the information you can provide.

Ana M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 04:25 PM

302 posts, read 1,046,890 times
I've only lived in Central Fl. for almost three years now and it seems every night on the news there is always someone getting shot or someone is missing. Scholls are so-so. I've never been to Miami, so I can't compare them both. I hear alot of people say that here in Central Fl. it is actuallly hotter because of no breezes. As I'm sure you are aware it is congeston here as well. The whole state is just growing too fast and the public officials just can't keep up with the growth.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:38 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,325,558 times
ana--where in central Florida are you planning on moving?
My Dad lived in Lake Worth for close to 20 years. He left and moved up here because he didn't like the "concrete jungle" (as he called it) anymore. We are about an hour away from Orlando. It's pretty quiet here compared to much of Florida. Definitely a more relaxed lifestyle. He has often said he would never go back. I think the lifestyle and schools appear pretty nice around the Winter Haven area. I don't have kids in school, so it's hard for me to say. Good luck with your decision!

Old 10-02-2006, 07:30 PM

566 posts, read 2,052,080 times
Great post & I hope someone answers...
I'd love to hear from someone from Miami that has moved up there see how they feel about the transition, etc..

There's an article that came out in the Herald last year that is fantastic about a couple that lived in S.FL and are living in Ft.McCoy next to the forest, which I think it's a bit further up. Anyhow, I couldn't resist & I tracked her down and wrote her. To my surprise, she wrote back. She surely misses the Sushi bar in Broward & the shopping malls but that they are extremely happy living amongst 30+acres in an A frame house, they track wildlife & have a koi pond on the premises - they drive to get supplies and things 1-2 week. They were escaping the very same things that most of us are..the taxes, ins., high real estate, traffic, not enough room...etc. Anyhow, she said that it takes some adjustment to get used to but not in a bad way - she says they don't regret it at all & have never been happier. The best part was she said she would never ever go back to city life.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:53 PM

75 posts, read 268,767 times
hi lulu
Where did this person move to?? Lake Worth???? sounds like a really
neat place... thanks
Kat

Old 10-02-2006, 11:39 PM

44 posts, read 168,153 times
Thumbs up grammy164

grammy164:

We are thinking around the kissimmee area probably Celebration. We just
wanted to know if it is really nice there. It seems to be really nice, I
would like to know if the area is good for kids 6 & 10 year old boys?

Thanks on any information you can provide.

Ana

Old 10-03-2006, 08:44 AM

566 posts, read 2,052,080 times
Kat, I don't know the area or exactly where it's at, but she said that her property was flush w/the Ocklawaha river...they raise quail, grass-fed carp, pick blueberries & grapes. I saw the photo of her property and it looks really nice. The funny thing is she says that in their old life they had a lawn to mow, but now they have an "ecosystem..."
What's interesting is these people, in their early 50's, had led city folk lives in a W. Palm Beach suburb w/cushy jobs & all. Anyhow, if they adjusted to this lifestyle & are happy...imagine if we would move there. I'd probably think I had died and gone to heaven...

Old 10-03-2006, 10:54 AM

75 posts, read 268,767 times
thanks lulul for the info....it just sounds so nice...I had to ask-----
I live in Kissimmee and have been wanting to move for a couple of
years now....just can't seem to sell my home....who knows....
I do love Florida as I am from here...I just want to find somewhere
else that isn't so congested....anyways,,,thanks again...
Kat

Old 10-03-2006, 12:29 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,158,847 times
People either love Celebration or hate it. It is a large "quaint" looking village type subdivision near Kissimmee. There are a number of similar type enginered communities around, but Celebration was the first and probably the best. The schools in Celebration are good; the hospital is excelent; it has its own downtown area; the neighborhoods are nice looking and well kept.

The restrictions on what you can / cannot do with your home and land are enormous! Basically, if you purchase an existing house in Celebration, you get exactly what you paid for. What you don't get is the right to paint it how you want, the right to add on to it, the right to mow your grass or trim your hedges whenever you want, the right to park on the street, etc. Do what you want on the inside of your house, but don't do ANYTHING different to the exterior. The Assoication and the Neighbors don't want to see any individual expression of "beauty" when it comes to the look of the community.

Like I said, it all depends on what you're looking for. Some people really find this appealing not to worry about having to live next to someone who thinks glossy black is a nice color for a house, and that having a Plumber's van parked in the front yard provides a needed service to the neighbors. However, others find this to be a $500,000 prison nightmare.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:41 PM

5 posts, read 19,103 times
Smile Central Florida

We live in the Tampa area, and it's an awful place to live (my opinion). It's crowded sprawl, congested, education ranks in the bottom of the nation, way overbuilt up, and the traffic is horrible. We drive over an hour each way to take our children to school, and on top of that, house prices have tripled in less than seven years. Forget about insurance - our homeowners insurance went from 900 a year to almost 4K! I'm trying to convince my husband to leave, to raise our children someplace greener, smaller, with neighbors who know each other. Tampa used to be that way, 25 years ago, and I miss it. But there have to be better places. Can you live in NC on 50K a year? Any small city suggestions? I see Cary is nice but looks expensive; anyone have suggestions? Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami