Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,393,446 times

Advertisements

They have children. If they didn't have children, I would totally say Miami is a great place to be, because its a great place to be as a young person. Plenty of bars, clubs, night life, great art scene, etc... Just not a great place to raise a family anymore. Broward from what I'm told is getting pretty bad as well. That's why I was suggesting Palm Beach. Close enough to see family in Miami, yet far enough from Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,965,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
They have children. If they didn't have children, I would totally say Miami is a great place to be, because its a great place to be as a young person. Plenty of bars, clubs, night life, great art scene, etc... Just not a great place to raise a family anymore. Broward from what I'm told is getting pretty bad as well. That's why I was suggesting Palm Beach. Close enough to see Miami in family, yet far enough from Miami.
I don't know how great Palm Beach is either. They have their fair share of problems up there. If it was between Palm Beach and Broward I don't see the advantage of being up in Palm Beach so far away. There are plenty of nice areas in Broward. There are also plenty of very nice areas in Miami-Dade.

I understand the family thing though. But sometimes that has to do more with the parents than the city. What huge advantage does growing up in a Chicago suburb have over a Miami suburb. Both places the kids would be in private school for the hypo as they would for the OP.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 PM

56 posts, read 68,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I can agree with that. At the same time I think this could be the case of any city. I was raised here the vast majority of my friends were raised here. It's been great. There are some great neighborhoods in Miami.

As to Surf&Turf if violent crime is your concern I can imagine it must be very bad in Chicago the gang activity there is really bad. Miami has its share of gang problems too but from my experience the gangs stay in their areas and the vast majority of those areas are not anywhere the average Miami resident needs to go to unless they are a police officer or medic.

As for going to Broward that is up to the person. Broward still has its problems with crime and traffic maybe not as bad as Miami-Dade but it isn't much better. But you can live in a nicer suburban neighborhood in Broward for less money than it would cost in Miami. But you really need to like suburbia. I don't mind going up to Broward to the mall and eat something once in a while but I can't imagine living up there. But I think if you have a family it's a little bit different.
Well, gangs are pretty much confined in the south and west sides of the city, but often they venture well into downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. For the past two summers, there have been several episodes where a bunch of no-good-gang-related thugs had beaten the crap out of totally random strangers right in the heart of touristy downtown Chicago, organized in flash mobs...just for kicks!!! Scary!!!!! Not to talk about people beaten up on the subway and getting their iphones and ipads stolen. Pretty scary stuff...

Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf&Turf View Post
Well, gangs are pretty much confined in the south and west sides of the city, but often they venture well into downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. For the past two summers, there have been several episodes where a bunch of no-good-gang-related thugs had beaten the crap out of totally random strangers right in the heart of touristy downtown Chicago, organized in flash mobs...just for kicks!!! Scary!!!!! Not to talk about people beaten up on the subway and getting their iphones and ipads stolen. Pretty scary stuff...
Yea. That isn't a huge problem down here. Maybe we see that in South Beach but that has more to do with alcohol than gangs. And some might say it is because our mass transit isn't any good so they can't get to downtown or Miami beach etc.. When really mass transit is pretty good in some of the worst neighborhoods of Miami.

Don't get me wrong Miami has plenty of violent crime. But IMO from my actual experience living in Miami it's not bad for the average resident. I've been near or seen much worse situations when I lived in D.C. or Barcelona Spain.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,370,590 times
I don't think OP is crazy--sounds like a lot of Miami's shortcomings are things you'd also be dealing with in Chicago. Granted, I think one tends to naturally downplay some of the bad while living away from here (doesn't mean it necessarily outweighs the good, though)--I was initially happy to move back to a warm locale after living in Colorado, but I started to question that a bit once the oppressive summer heat set in!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM

38 posts, read 72,745 times
Move back to Miami! You'll love it! Some of the people commenting negatively about Miami on this board really tick me off. Miami has no more problems then other big cities, only in different forms. Sure Miami has a lot of Spanish speaking people, but that's what makes it unique, It's not suppose to be like the other big cities, or even like the United States!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 PM

73 posts, read 193,658 times
Don't Do It !!!!

I've lived in east Ft. Laud for about 3 years. I had resided in Long term Hotels before that in Coral Gables, and all over Miami - Dade. I'm even a Floridian, and I'm planning on moving up to Jupiter or beyond after my traveling days are over. It's been an ordeal remodeling my small Condo. So much scamming going on here, and I blame this on the influx of so many immigrants coming here from their poverty stricken corrupt countries. I'm single, no children even! If I had kids ... Heck NO! Miami is a great place to live if you don't work, you are in your early 20s, you have no kids, and you can afford to live on the Beach in a $1M Condo, and you speak good Espanol. Another words, if you're not a spoiled Latin Trust Fund kid from Venezuela ( corrupt money ) then forget about it.

A lot of folks come here thinking it's a great place .... but these people don't live here.

Imagine the richest Latins of all South America, and they are all owning 2nd and 3rd homes in Miami, and they are only here because money allows them to live high on the hog here. They can drive around in expensive cars and nobody cares, but if they did this in their poverty stricken, trashy country, they'd be kidnapped and left for dead.

In America, we value people who show off and act like fat cats .... and how sad is that ..... ?!?!?!?

My two cents worth opinion / Best of luck

Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49_Retired View Post
Don't Do It !!!!

I've lived in east Ft. Laud for about 3 years. I had resided in Long term Hotels before that in Coral Gables, and all over Miami - Dade. I'm even a Floridian, and I'm planning on moving up to Jupiter or beyond after my traveling days are over. It's been an ordeal remodeling my small Condo. So much scamming going on here, and I blame this on the influx of so many immigrants coming here from their poverty stricken corrupt countries. I'm single, no children even! If I had kids ... Heck NO! Miami is a great place to live if you don't work, you are in your early 20s, you have no kids, and you can afford to live on the Beach in a $1M Condo, and you speak good Espanol. Another words, if you're not a spoiled Latin Trust Fund kid from Venezuela ( corrupt money ) then forget about it.

A lot of folks come here thinking it's a great place .... but these people don't live here.

Imagine the richest Latins of all South America, and they are all owning 2nd and 3rd homes in Miami, and they are only here because money allows them to live high on the hog here. They can drive around in expensive cars and nobody cares, but if they did this in their poverty stricken, trashy country, they'd be kidnapped and left for dead.

In America, we value people who show off and act like fat cats .... and how sad is that ..... ?!?!?!?

My two cents worth opinion / Best of luck
And here is a good example of the replys some of us mentioned earlier.
Only trust fund kids from Venezuela can live here well. That is not an exaggeration at all

I enjoy Miami. I will be the first one to point out its flaws. I am no trust fund kid from Venezuela and my Spanish is not fluent either.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:11 AM

9,310 posts, read 14,216,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf&Turf View Post

We miss the weather ... And we have also come to the realization that many of the things that drove us away from Miami, are indeed part of any other big American city. ... Housing is comparable ... Cost of living ... The list could go on and on, but my point being: many of the things we really hated about Miami, we have found them in Chicago to one degree or another as well.

So: are we really crazy moving back to Miami, or has the city really made improvements from 6 years ago?
Miami offers an abundance of warmth and water, that's what sets it apart from all other US cities, and relatively clean air, otherwise it is pretty much the same (even New York, for example, is in the hurricane path, perhaps even more so than Miami, no one can deny it after the events of the past two hurricane seasons). It is also located in one of the relatively few states that do not have a state income tax, and that by state constitution.

It is not nearly as economically and culturally deep as, say, New York and Chicago, nonetheless it is a major nexus on the international trade circuit, serving as capital for a major region.

Of course in your case, family is the factor that tips the scale.

If you are gainfully (self-)employed in international trade and marketing, logistics/supply-chain management, including maritime shipping and air transport, real estate, finance, insurance or law related to the foregoing, tourism, or health care, and/or have independent wealth, you should do fine in Miami.

To be sure, the financing of new housing and infrastructure was chaotic in the mid-2000s and much work still needs to be done and is ongoing.

Recently, there is a new metrorail stop serving MIA and there is also other ongoing major infrastructure work at PortMiami, MIA, and downtown/Brickell.

Miami will prosper going forward if international trade and investment, and global exchange in general, keep expanding, especially hand-in-hand with Latin America, it will languish if globalization, and the region in particular, sputters.

An ongoing problem is a dearth of quality housing even in Miami's best neighborhoods: you pay a premium for many single family homes that are outdated and require high maintenance, and well designed family-size condos are as rare as hen's teeth, and you pay a premium for those as well. Of course you pay less for varying quality the further west, or the further from the southern leg of the metrorail corridor, that you go.

I don't think that the education problem is different than anywhere else. Actually I think it is better for children to grow up in an environment that is socially challenging and offers at least some global opportunity, they can decide later if they want a less dense environment, but at least you give them that exposure, that edge: it's a sick and dangerous world out there, but also full of wonder and beauty, and they have to know them both.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 01-12-2013 at 05:33 AM..

Old 01-12-2013, 10:12 AM

73 posts, read 193,658 times
Don't do it !!!!!!!!!!

Miami is not South Beach !!!!!!!!

After 6 months you'll want to kill yourself !!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami