Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:09 AM

7,725 posts, read 6,368,183 times

Advertisements

I been living here the majority of my life, and I've always had an intense fear of them. I don't mind looking at them, but the thought of touching them, or them walking towards me sends shivers down my spine! To make it worse, last month I had one crawl up my pants, I pretty much had a panic attack, and I'm a guy! How do other people with this similar fear deal with living somewhere where they pretty much are found crawling all over trees and walls everywhere you look? I have no real problem with snakes, spiders and even though I find frogs gross, I don't the have the same reaction as with lizards. ( The big black ones are the worst,)

Last edited by Pincho-toot; 01-19-2013 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,657,087 times
The only ones that bother me are the two-legged variety, especially when they emerge from white cars labelled Miami-Dade.

What would you do if a large iguana climbs on you? I have had them fall on me from trees and get in my truck.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 AM

529 posts, read 1,139,375 times
You will miss lizards if you ever go up north. I know I did. Lizards are so cool.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,151,962 times
I used to live in Honolulu, and my mom would get SO scared when a gecko or anole would get in the house. At age 2, I wasl capturing them and putting them back outside. I loved them. On my recent trip to South Florida, I loved seeing all the geckos and anoles everywhere. They don't have those in California, just other kinds, but I prefer those kinds of lizards, they look so much cooler.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:34 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,955,603 times
I really enjoy the lizards here. You really do notice not seeing them at all when up north. It think its awesome and don't mind them in the home because they eat bugs.

Anyway your fear sounds just like my girlfriend or mother so plenty of people have this fear. Not really sure what you can do about it. I find it out you are afraid of the least threatening animal compared to spiders, bugs, and even frogs. Lizards can't harm a person unless we are talking about iguanas or the Komdo dragon.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_zed View Post
You will miss lizards if you ever go up north. I know I did. Lizards are so cool.
I WILL NOT! Lol I have a PHOBIA! They're cool from a distance but I do not want to worry about them getting in my house or near me! The only thing I worry about up north is abundance of frogs and leeches, still, not as bad as lizards for me. And they're not found in Winter. Lizards are everywhere here even in Winter, minus a few cooler days.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The only ones that bother me are the two-legged variety, especially when they emerge from white cars labelled Miami-Dade.

What would you do if a large iguana climbs on you? I have had them fall on me from trees and get in my truck.
I am not sure what ya refer to with the two legged joke but on the topic of Iguana. I would probably scream so loud you'd think a TIGER was on me!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I really enjoy the lizards here. You really do notice not seeing them at all when up north. It think its awesome and don't mind them in the home because they eat bugs.

Anyway your fear sounds just like my girlfriend or mother so plenty of people have this fear. Not really sure what you can do about it. I find it out you are afraid of the least threatening animal compared to spiders, bugs, and even frogs. Lizards can't harm a person unless we are talking about iguanas or the Komdo dragon.

Well I don't really have bugs in my house, except the occasional roach which is too big for a lizard to eat. I'm not necessarily afraid of lizards for the threat they pose but on other factors. Their slithery cold skin, the way they move, their reptilian teture, their wriggly tails. Ugh! They may not necessarily be poisonous but they do carry salmonella, so it's SOMETHING

Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,151,743 times
There used to be a lizard in my room... it was my friend.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,151,962 times
Those Tegus and Nile monitors are something else though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: