Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 04:02 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I can see that you're very biased towards rural, inland environments. While I can understand what you're saying to some extent, I think it's foolish of you to think of Miami as black and white. Not everyone is obsessed with decadence; you can surely find down to earth types out of the sea of people who live there. My preference is to be near the beach in an urban environment and although yours is different, it doesn't mean it's superior. There are decent people everywhere, you just have to known where to look. To each their own.
I agree but where are they in Miami. I am having an awfully hard time finding them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 04:39 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
Perhaps they are 'few and far between' in Miami..... I just don't think that the glitz and glam of 'Miami' necessarily attracts down to earth people.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:22 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,137 times
Hmm, well it attracts me and I wouldn't consider myself pretentious/decadent/morally deprived/etc.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 PM

169 posts, read 309,944 times
The down to earth element is usually found in the rougher neighborhoods where people get by on a day to day basis.
Like parts of liberty city, little haiti, overtown

Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
Ughhh...hispters are a problem, a serious one. Ask anyone in New York City.

On a serious note, Miami is experiencing the hipster craze like the rest of the country. They're not really confined to Williamsburg and the Pearl District anymore. If you haven't seen much of them around here it means you don't know what you're looking for. You can see them sitting outside their parent's home in Hialeah and Westchester listening to beautifully ironic music. You can catch them drink their favorite cheap beer in several bars throughout town, from Churchill's in Little Haiti to Mamushka's in Midtown. There's also Wood Tavern in Wynwood. These are all pretty different places and there's plenty more, you just gotta see where you fit in best. But they're all super casual, low key and down to earth places with good beer, good music and cool people.

There's also night clubs like Grand Central and Peach Fuzz in Downtown Miami. These places are literally popping up over night all over the city.

You should also probably try to get acquainted with the music venues down here and their calendars. You just gotta pick the right artist and you could end up in a sea of PBR cans. Some of my friend's might slip into that categorization of hispters, so I know this stuff. Miami is what you make of it. Just stick to places in the urban core of the city, from Little Haiti down through the Design District, Midtown, Wynwood and Downtown. What do you call that urban core? Biscayne Corridor?...maybe?

Brickell isn't really a casual or down to earth place. It's really nice and can be entertaining on its own but it's more of a professional crowd that likes to dress up, spend money and flash it. Just stick to the northern banks of the river Downtown.
Pretty much. Those areas are like a conglomeration of mid-gentrifying and fully-gentrified neighborhoods and artsy wearhouse and wholesale clothing, fashion, retail districts. Those neighborhoods are pretty much Little Haiti, Liberty City(Model City), Allapatah(ALOT of wholesale retail), etc. They're still close enough to the ghetto to be edgy. Churchhills in Little Haiti in particular is at the edge of the hood. Those areas are the hipster core, but some places in those areas tote the line between edgy-hipsterdom, and edgy-chic, as more and more people want to build more lavish restaurants, while keeping an arty edge. There seems to be a balancing act in Miami.

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-04-2013 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Please don't use red.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,137 times
Do feel like venturing out to these areas (ex. Going to churchils for live music) is a genuine safety concern? I have been to miami enough to realize that it's not necessarily a waking city, you have to be pretty aware wherever you go.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,235 times
Quote:
Do feel like venturing out to these areas (ex. Going to churchils for live music) is a genuine safety concern? I have been to miami enough to realize that it's not necessarily a waking city, you have to be pretty aware wherever you go.
Never really felt unsafe, although it's good to generally be aware of your surroundings.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Pretty much. Those areas are like a conglomeration of mid-gentrifying and fully-gentrified neighborhoods and artsy wearhouse and wholesale clothing, fashion, retail districts. Those neighborhoods are pretty much Little Haiti, Liberty City(Model City), Allapatah(ALOT of wholesale retail), etc. They're still close enough to the ghetto to be edgy. Churchhills in Little Haiti in particular is at the edge of the hood. Those areas are the hipster core, but some places in those areas tote the line between edgy-hipsterdom, and edgy-chic, as more and more people want to build more lavish restaurants, while keeping an arty edge. There seems to be a balancing act in Miami.
^^^ That. And have a lot of common sense and be careful to not end up inadvertently within the Liberty City or Overtown neighborhoods.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM

313 posts, read 647,294 times
Quote:
It's in a pretty sketchy area but it's on a major road and I've never really felt in danger, just don't get lost in the neighborhood. lol

Old 02-05-2013, 07:17 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Do you understand the demographics of Miami-Dade?

It's 18% white and dropping. Factor out retirees and the wealthy and you're left with far less. The remaining whites are mostly people that moved here from somewhere else. There is no native white population here any more. What kind of people move to Miami, with its high cost of living and glamorous image? Not the down-to-earth element.

In short, there are quite a few down to earth people in Miami, but they are overwhelmingly Latino immigrants (or second-generation).
So if i am understanding your properly. Unless you have a white population you are not going to get people who are "down to earth" and "hipsters"? Is this what you are trying to say? You wouldn't say that Midtown would fit what he/she is asking for? Have you ever gone to the artwalk on the second Saturday of the month? That place is full-up with hipsters and it doesn't seem to be very pretentious at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami