U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:43 AM

975 posts, read 3,436,625 times

Advertisements

isn't that the direction NC cities are heading? Atlanta didn't used to have the traffic and sprawl problems they have now, until everyone started heading there in the last couple decades. Now they may even run out of water (temporarily, anyway). What measures are the NC elected officials taking to contain uncontrolled growth and sprawl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
You know, for someone who lives 2.5 hours North on the West side of Florida, you sure have a lot of guts making "Jethro" comments.

For the rest of this board....there is a "comparison".
I own homes in Both Raleigh and Miami Beach. Let me take an opportunity to talk about the differences in costs and life in general for those who are interested in a balanced report on the differences:
The overall cost of living anywhere in NC will be lower if you are comparing apples to apples: a comparison of 2 people who are moving to each place simultaneously. That's an important distinguishing factor as many current Florida homeowners enjoy significantly lower taxes due to their homestead exemption. If you have owned a homesteaded home for a long time in Florida and have a high income, you will not find NC less taxing. However, if you are a new homeowner in Florida or don't currently own a home in Florida but plan to buy, you will find North Carolina much cheaper.
NC receives its greatest proportion of income from income tax. However, property tax rates are much lower than, say, MiamiDade.

If I were going to compare Raleigh to Miami for those considering establishing a life in either, I'd compare them as follows:

Incomes in Raleigh are almost double the average of Miami. Additionally, Wake Co. average household incomes are almost 20K higher than MiamiDade Co. averages. As a core city, Raleigh incomes are among the highest in the nation while Miami's are among the lowest.

Housing prices in Raleigh are probably half of what they are in Miami. Like Miami, the prices in Raleigh will fluctuate based on location.

Rents in Raleigh are lower since taxes aren't higher on properties owned by landlords. Remember, those RE taxes are passed on to renters in FL!

Schools are MUCH better in Wake County than Miami/Dade.

Crime rates are much lower in Raleigh.

NC taxes cars annually but the cost of taxes+insurance rates combined are much lower than the insurance costs alone in Miami/Dade. Of course, if you drive a Bentley in NC, you are going to pay out the nose in taxes. But, for those who drive "lowly" Hondas, Toyotas, Volkswagens, etc., you will find that owning a car is cheaper in NC.

local tax on food is 2% at grocery stores in NC. I think that some of the basics like milk, eggs and bread are not taxed....but, I am not really sure about that one. Harris Teeter grocery stores are open 24 hours and make Publix look like a pile of crap, especially in the produce department.

State sales tax rate is 6.75% in NC compared to 7% for MiamiDade.

Cablevision and Internet access are cheaper in NC

Gasoline is cheaper in NC than Miami

Utilities will be higher in NC in the Winter because, well, they have a Winter.

Hard liquor alcohol sales are state contolled in NC and are typically more expensive due to lack of competition. Sales on bottles are hard to come by. However, mixed drinks in restaurants and bars are cheaper. Who knows????

Insurance on your home will be lower in most parts of NC. I imagine that costs will be similar to FL on the NC coast due to hurricanes coverage.

Raleigh has one of the most highly educated populations in America...so much for those "Jethro" comments. Its share of college educated and advanced degreed adults is consistently among the top 3-5 in the Nation with the likes of Seattle, SF, DC and Boston. Its creative class percentage is the highest in the nation.

Raleigh is an educated, polite, progressive city with real jobs and careers. It's mayor is a Democrat. NC's governor is a Democrat. The NC legislator is controlled by Democrats. NC is not in a crisis over property taxes, housing costs and insurance rates like Republican run Florida. NC is growing like weeds because it's pro-business, cost effective and pleasant. It's not an extreme bible belt state that panics over gay rights or immigration. However, religion is integral to the lives of most Carolinians. While it's not as international as Miami is certainly isn't a slouch either. Most of the major universities in NC are in the Raleigh area. It had a real performing arts center well in advance of Miami. Its diversity is less Latin but more Asian and Indian. Its racial distribution most closely resembles Maryland. Its Summers can be hotter but less humid. Its Winter can be pleasant or cold, sometimes changing on a dime depending on the competing weather of the North and South.

If you have tons of equity in your home, it's possible to move to NC and pay cash for a similar house. But, you will pay income taxes...but most likely on an income higher than you have now.

Florida is a great place to live if you are ultra wealthy and/or have owned your home for a long time. If you fall into that category, by all means stay in Florida and buy a second home in the NC mountains like everyone else. But, if you are struggling to make ends meet, buy your first home or start a career, NC is going to be your better choice financially. Just don't go there thinking it's the land of free milk and honey.
And, by all means, if you go there, learn to enjoy a more relaxed lifestyle where politeness and good service go a long way. If you are basically polite, you will most often receive the same in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:16 AM

2,227 posts, read 7,551,675 times
like i said, raliegh/cary and miami comparison isnt even fair. raliegh is so much better than miami, it isnt even funny.

look, i have family here in fla and i enjoy spending time with them, and that's a big plus for me here in fla. but when comparing the two, i'd have to say nc is better overall than fla. and this is coming from someone who couldnt wait to move back to fla. we picked orlando, and that's part of our problem.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:19 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,838,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
isn't that the direction NC cities are heading? Atlanta didn't used to have the traffic and sprawl problems they have now, until everyone started heading there in the last couple decades. Now they may even run out of water (temporarily, anyway). What measures are the NC elected officials taking to contain uncontrolled growth and sprawl?
That's a real concern for any city growing today (Raleigh, Charlotte, Austin, etc.) is to not fall into the trap of just endless surburban sprawl. While older cities grew on a more urban model like Chicago, New York, Philly, etc., newer cities like Houston, Dallas, Phoenix and Atlanta grew in a suburban model. Hopefully, the newer emerging cities will learn from their misery. However, efforts to install mass transit in cities like Raleigh are having their federal funding cut. Nonetheless, Raleigh is urban planning its future to incorporate the density nodes necessary to make that sort of plan work in the future. We will have to see what the future holds.
That said, Raleigh and surrounds are nowhere near the size of Metro Atlanta. In total, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill CMSA has almost 1.5 million people. I think Atlanta has surpassed 5 million. It would take decades and decades of accelerated growth to be like Atlanta. That said, Raleigh has no desire to be Atlanta like Charlotte does. Both Raleigh and Durham are focusing on their downtowns now instead of waiting for the metro area to burgeon to millions and millions before re-discovering it's city core like other metro areas did over the last half century. But, in the end, how Raleigh and other cities around America grow will be dependent on massive cultural change and expectations for our lives and how we define success. If it continues to be about huge homes on large cul de sac lots, we are all doomed to live in suburban hell.
South Florida has the advantage there. We can't keep pushing out because there isn't any more "out" in which to push.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM

546 posts, read 1,924,821 times
Live in Raleigh and as a 20 something year old....too boring for me. If you go there from Miami just for lower cost of living I recommend you spend a good week up there to get a feel for the city. I resided there and it is a very clean place. Everything is pretty new (strip malls and malls) but I found it to be slow and lacking personality.

Different strokes for different folks. A pleasant , great place to live for families who like it mellow. Nothing more, nothing less in my opinion.

Your dollar will go ALOT further in Raleigh than in Miami. You can buy 2 houses up there for the price of one down in Miami and that's no exaggeration.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:29 PM

458 posts, read 457,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
Live in Raleigh and as a 20 something year old....too boring for me. If you go there from Miami just for lower cost of living I recommend you spend a good week up there to get a feel for the city. I resided there and it is a very clean place. Everything is pretty new (strip malls and malls) but I found it to be slow and lacking personality.

Different strokes for different folks. A pleasant , great place to live for families who like it mellow. Nothing more, nothing less in my opinion.

Your dollar will go ALOT further in Raleigh than in Miami. You can buy 2 houses up there for the price of one down in Miami and that's no exaggeration.
Agree 100% We lived in Chapel Hill for a year and spent lots of time in Raleigh. It was nice, nothing really exciting about it, nothing horrible about it.

Went to some sporting events, fans acted like they were sitting at home, no passion. Except of course for college hoops.

That perhaps is the best description of Raleigh, nice, no passion. You have to go there after living for a while in Chicago, Philly, NY, Atlanta, Miami etc to understand what that means I guess.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:30 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,809,091 times
Raleigh is the Toyota Camry of cities. It does everything well for a reasonable price, but a little too well.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:54 PM

458 posts, read 457,034 times
Research Triangle Park also has something to do with it. Lots of very intelligent scientists and engineers there. Very smart, but very boring socially. I was a chemistry major back in college, we might have thrown some of the dullest parties Villanova has ever seen!

Old 10-25-2007, 03:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,826,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Raleigh is the Toyota Camry of cities. It does everything well for a reasonable price, but a little too well.
I need to find the 1969 Dodge Charger of cities. Low priced, long lasting and all American!

Old 10-25-2007, 03:30 PM

440 posts, read 1,369,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I need to find the 1969 Dodge Charger of cities. Low priced, long lasting and all American!

Sounds like Detroit or one of its suburbs is the place for you ... it is very low priced , been around for ever and is very American !!!

Old 10-25-2007, 03:57 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,809,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Nashville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or