U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 AM

2,227 posts, read 7,552,231 times

Advertisements

wow, what's nc gonna be like if all these ppl who move to florida now want to move to nc??? nc may lose some of it's southern, friendly, laid back lifestyle to starbucks' and tons of shopping malls like most of fla has become
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 06:10 AM

70 posts, read 200,631 times
Thanks all. We ARE lucky in that we are NOT retiring, but will be working full time the same as we do now. A lot of our work involves travel and internet so we wanted to have a place we loved to be when we are home and more space and cooler weather.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymiami View Post
Well, after loving the Miami life for almost 20 years. It saddens me that I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! Anyone else feeling the same? The rat-race, the traffic, taxes, taxes and more taxes, insurance, poor customer service, too many people.....and not to forget: taxes. They call those from the Northeast who moved all the way down to Florida, and now on their way up to the mid-east "Halfbacks". Insight and opionions welcomed!!!

Nope. Don't know anybody who is. Do know a few that have moved or are interested in moving to NYC, Chicago, DC, SanFran. The ones with a lot on the ball who can put their skills to highly-paid uses want out of low pay South Florida and into a "real" big city. Most here do love their little slice of American Caribbean in South Florida. But North Carolina--for what?

Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraptor12 View Post
Nope. Don't know anybody who is. Do know a few that have moved or are interested in moving to NYC, Chicago, DC, SanFran. The ones with a lot on the ball who can put their skills to highly-paid uses want out of low pay South Florida and into a "real" big city. Most here do love their little slice of American Caribbean in South Florida. But North Carolina--for what?
is this a joke? move to nc, for what??? ppl from ny are moving to nc like crazy now.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:12 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,952,209 times
rnc2mbfl has some great posts in this thread (and others on city-data as well). Very good comparison and very accurate.

I was born and raised in Miami and moved to Raleigh last year. I was one of Florida's own daughters who would never be able to afford to live the rest of her life there because I just couldn't live a reasonable lifestyle as a young professional with no equity. So I found a better job in Raleigh and a much better quality of life. It's not perfect (no place), but for someone in my position, it is a great place and I love it so far. I have met a lot of really great people here in such a short amount of time, I didn't know it was possible!

I just don't understand those that say Raleigh is boring. Do you require an Orlando nearby to entertain yourself? Were you looking for South Beach here? Not to rain on anybody's parade, but there is more to life than going to a club and paying $12 for a dixie cup full of ice and a few drops of whiskey at a hotel pool turned nightclub while women wander around with vacant looks searching for a "sponsor" for the evening. If you like that kind of thing then, yeah Raleigh will seem "boring" in comparison.

There are tons of things to do in Raleigh throughout the week and on the weekends, and most of these things are affordable for just about anyone. Most of the time, we have to decide what we want to do and what we have to miss out on because there are plenty of options. You can actually have a decent conversation with people you meet while you're out. Raleigh's downtown is really growing and reinventing itself, and has improved leaps and bounds just in the year that I have lived here. However, if you are looking for a glitzy, "look at me and what I'm wearing/driving/spending" type of people and nightlife, then Miami is your place.

I'm certainly not trying to "sell" Raleigh to anyone, but it just peeves me when people claim that Raleigh is boring. Now, Cary...well, it's basically a suburb, so it is what it is. Kind of like Kendall - lots of people live there, but that's about all it is. But if you can't find something to do here, well, I just don't know what to tell ya!

Old 11-02-2007, 01:28 PM

yup, i agree. raleigh is so far ahead of miami, and every other florida city, it isnt even comparable. and i've lived in both states, i am allowed to say it.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM

199 posts, read 168,953 times
You can't judge what other people like, dislike, or find boring. I lived in Chapel Hill and spent a lot of time in Raleigh and hated it. I found the people mostly bland, even at the pro hockey games they sat there like they were watching the opera. Growing up a Flyers fan, I couldn't relate to them.

And we are beach people. We enjoy outdoor sports year round, tennis, golf, swimming, scuba, snorkeling, hot weather, the beach, etc. So for our family the Raleigh area was boring as it does not allow for the activities that we like the best.

Those that like Raleigh, go for it. But saying it is above any Florida city is not accurate for everybody, because no one can judge other people's priorities. For us, what Florida provides vastly outweigh the negatives.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:08 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,811,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post

I just don't understand those that say Raleigh is boring. Do you require an Orlando nearby to entertain yourself? Were you looking for South Beach here? Not to rain on anybody's parade, but there is more to life than going to a club and paying $12 for a dixie cup full of ice and a few drops of whiskey at a hotel pool turned nightclub while women wander around with vacant looks searching for a "sponsor" for the evening. If you like that kind of thing then, yeah Raleigh will seem "boring" in comparison.
Yeah, because that's all there is to do in South Florida. Raleigh is so above that, being such a cultural mecca and all . You are right, there is more to life, but where is it in Raleigh?

Seriously, maybe you can't just spark up some conversation with people in most of Miami, but conditions aren't that bad in the whole region (yet). What's the most exciting place in the triangle? Probably Chapel Hill. And really, what do you think that is? It's a college town/bar scene, although Chapel Hill has something South Florida really lacks; a music scene.

It's true, the Triangle is, by most standards, a great place to live, and an excellent place to raise a family. Looking at most quality of life factors it indeed has Miami/Fort Lauderdale beat. Entertainment and culture would not be one of those factors.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-02-2007 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM

22 posts, read 779,981 times
Count me in the "Leaving to NC from Ft lauderdale" crowd

Lived in Miami/Ft Lauderdale area for 26 years (minus 5 for college up state)

Im heading off to NC after visiting it a few times and loving it.

Cost of living is too much for young people in South Florida.

Unless you love the beach (which I dont), south florida really isnt different than any other place.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:01 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,811,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikis View Post

Cost of living is too much for young people in South Florida.

Unless you love the beach (which I dont), south florida really isnt different than any other place.
These are all good points. This area is experiencing a drain of the 18-25 crowd. It's great for young professionals, but our economy isn't really driving them here. Doesn't help that we lack a real university and have an increasing crime rate too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or