Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:45 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunandsand View Post
You can't judge what other people like, dislike, or find boring. I lived in Chapel Hill and spent a lot of time in Raleigh and hated it. I found the people mostly bland, even at the pro hockey games they sat there like they were watching the opera. Growing up a Flyers fan, I couldn't relate to them.

And we are beach people. We enjoy outdoor sports year round, tennis, golf, swimming, scuba, snorkeling, hot weather, the beach, etc. So for our family the Raleigh area was boring as it does not allow for the activities that we like the best.

Those that like Raleigh, go for it. But saying it is above any Florida city is not accurate for everybody, because no one can judge other people's priorities. For us, what Florida provides vastly outweigh the negatives.

maybe everyone has their own opinions, but i am saying in an overall quality of life sense, the triangle area is superior to any major florida city, such as miami, ft lauderdale, orlando, jax, tampa or clearwater, etc...

we have beaches yes, and i love the beaches. i moved to florida from nc (florida born though)... and i can tell you that when you weigh the quality of life aspects, raleigh is superior to any major fla city comparable in size to raleigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 06:33 PM

199 posts, read 219,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
maybe everyone has their own opinions, but i am saying in an overall quality of life sense, the triangle area is superior to any major florida city, such as miami, ft lauderdale, orlando, jax, tampa or clearwater, etc...

we have beaches yes, and i love the beaches. i moved to florida from nc (florida born though)... and i can tell you that when you weigh the quality of life aspects, raleigh is superior to any major fla city comparable in size to raleigh
Again, your quality of life issues are totally different than ours. Raleigh has nothing that we want so there is no quality of life there for us.

Like I said we love the beach, swimming, tennis, golf, scuba, snorkeling, and activities like that. Our kids go to a nice school, we can go to a movie, go out to dinner. We have lots of friends who like these things also. So there is nothing as far as quality of life that Raleigh can improve for us or our friends.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:37 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
It is in my opinion that Raleigh gives you more for your money. Raleigh is more like a Toyota Camry, South Florida (well, Palm Beach/Broward anyway) is like a Corvette. It's somewhat expensive (although we aren't talking Ferrari prices), somewhat restrictive, but it can adapt to you more than you think, and you can have a blast nonetheless.

Look at it this way. What does Cary offer that Weston doesn't offer? Cooper City? Boca Raton? Absolutely nothing, except for more affordable real estate. But that factor is very, very important. You can go as high or as low as you want to go down here, quality of life wise. The issue is how much you are paying, because it is true that you can go that high somewhere else for less. For some, living in a dynamic, multicultural region with a tropical climate (yes guys, some people don't hate that)and more to do than go "clubbin" is worth the cash.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:15 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Bye Bye Florida,
Congrats on your sale and impending move to Asheville! You'll have to pop over 26 to JC and say hello. I moved here from S. FL over 10 years ago and have never looked back and love it! I travel to Asheville at least once a month, nice town. Good luck with the move and enjoy the mountains.
And the other posters are right in a way, not everywhere is right for everyone but to find the place in this world that when you wake up every morning thankful for finding the place that makes you happy while maintaining the necessities in life ie: work, transportation, paying bills, social life etc., it is a wonderful thing. Life is to short to be miserable.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
"Life is to short to be miserable"

Amen to that mbmouse!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:35 PM

"Look at it this way. What does Cary offer that Weston doesn't offer? Cooper City? Boca Raton? Absolutely nothing, except for more affordable real estate."

c'mom man. i know you like weston, but comparing it to cary, a town that wins best place to live a lot, c'mon now... ppl in cary are (overall): more educated, nicer, driver better, dont have to worry about being close to miami and ft lauderdale, speaking english 97% of the time, get paid better, and have less of a mortgage... those are a few things i can think of off the dome peice... lol.

i could se ppl leaving south fla (even if they lived in weston) to move to cary, but not the other way around. sure weston is nice, but do you think ppl would leave cary to move to weston?

Old 11-03-2007, 08:14 AM

199 posts, read 219,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
"Look at it this way. What does Cary offer that Weston doesn't offer? Cooper City? Boca Raton? Absolutely nothing, except for more affordable real estate."

c'mom man. i know you like weston, but comparing it to cary, a town that wins best place to live a lot, c'mon now... ppl in cary are (overall): more educated, nicer, driver better, dont have to worry about being close to miami and ft lauderdale, speaking english 97% of the time, get paid better, and have less of a mortgage... those are a few things i can think of off the dome peice... lol.

i could se ppl leaving south fla (even if they lived in weston) to move to cary, but not the other way around. sure weston is nice, but do you think ppl would leave cary to move to weston?
Depends what you are looking for. To us, the air quality is very important as one of our family members is sensitive.

Cary has a low air quality, with only 55% of days with good air quality...source, Money Magazine Best Places Profile. Weston...same source...91% good air days. Why? because North Carolina is very heavy into chemical manufacturing. My dad started his own chemical business 50 years ago, most of his materials are made in Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham. NC was not the best environmental regulation state back in the day and that attracted some nasty industries. And don't think that manufacturing plants in Charlotte don't effect Cary, air pollutants travel hundreds of miles.

Another stat from Money's Best places profiles...property crime incidents per 100,000 people. Cary, NC...2000, Weston, FL. 1100. I understand both are low violent crime areas, but still...property crimes are a pain in the butt.

I understand those that would like Cary, I've been there many times, nice place. But breathing air is just about the most basic quality of life issue on the planet and 55% good vs 91% is a huge, huge difference for many people. Same with the annoyance of property crime, Weston has half what Cary does.

Education? Cary has a math and reading score of around 7 for each, compared to the Money Best Places average of 13. Weston is 31 for reading and 50 for math. Even when you adjust for the average NC school being higher, Weston's scores still trump Cary's schools. Obviously Weston has some great schools.

Also, Cary does not have a higher median income that Weston. Of course the cost of living is less and money goes much further in Cary, but for the purpose of accuracy, Weston's median income is higher.

So depending on what quality of life issues are most important, Cary would be to many people not nearly as good as Weston. You give me a choice with my 3 kids...deal with problems living in Weston or have them breathe the air in Cary their entire lives? No brainer, my kids stay in Weston. You have nothing if you don't have health and that is a risk I won't take.

Last edited by Sunandsand; 11-03-2007 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-03-2007, 09:18 AM

sunandsand, definitely stay in weston, especially if it is better for health reasons.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:25 PM

22 posts, read 796,161 times
I wouldn't put Cary and Cooper City in the same paragraph

I could see how the nice parts of Boca Raton and Weston could be compared to Cary.

Still, the housing prices are rediculous in Boca and Weston (compared to what you'd get in Cary)

Old 11-03-2007, 10:24 PM

i am not refering to all of florida as not being close to what nc offers, but i am talking about most of south fla. sure there are some nice areas where the attributes may be similar to cary's, but at what price? south fla is too expensive, and it has lost (imo) it's appeal. i like jupiter/palm bch gardens but i couldnt afford to live there. but they are nice places to live if you have the money, or bought a home before prices got too high in those areas i mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami