U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:49 PM

28 posts, read 152,497 times

Advertisements

Well, if this thread shows nothing else, it shows that we each have our own opinions, so I'll offer mine for a moment.

My father used to tell me "It's not the place, it's the person". What that means to me is that you can be happy (or find a way to be happy) no matter where you live.

A few years ago I moved from Greensboro, NC to FtLauderdale Florida.

Each place has it's positives and negatives. Some of mine are below, for your consideration.

Greensboro NC Negatives.
__Higher property crime rate than FtLaud, FL.
__Narrow minded (often called "red neck") attitudes (also read "less progressive".)
__Less active social life
__State income tax
__Ever increasing vehicle tax and inspection regulations.
__High and ever-rising cost of living (yes, just as high as Broward, except for property ownership)
__Traffic (yes, get on I-85/40 during rush hours and you're in 8 lane hell, similar to I-95.)
__Poorer overall job market in most specialties.
__Poor air-quality (caused by metro areas like NY and DC to north or ATL, CLT to south, depending on wind direction.)
__Water shortages getting worse each year.
__Backwards attitudes in city government.
__More limited health-care in Metro area.
__Cold winters (yes, 0-20 at night and ice-storms occur pretty much each winter.)
__HOTTER summers (overall, the heat and heat-index in GSO is generally higher than for the same high-temp periods in Broward county. In other words, when it's 85 in Ft.Lauderdale, it's 90 in Greensboro with the same humidity, although,in all fairness, it is shorter lived.)

Greensboro NC Positives
__Less violent crime stats than Broward
__Lower housing costs (about 30% lower considering taxes and prices.)
__Less crowded, depending on area.
__Less school violence (although school quality is not much better.)
__Shorter summers (althought hotter in general than S.Florida, see above.)
__Generally nicer attitudes (less of the NY "get outta my way" attitude you find in S.Florida.)
__Better drivers than S.FL.

Broward Postives and Negatives I won't be-labor here (see other posts above, SOME of which are accurate.)

For me, I am enjoying this time in S.Florida. I love the sand, the beach, the night-life, my network of friends. I love sitting by my pool having dinner or talking with friends in November and December.......is it harder to live here? Yes. Generally more expensive? Yes. But the trade-offs for me are worth it, even if I do have to work longer hours to enjoy it.

Will my opinion change if kids are in the picture, or if I was retiring? Probably, yes... but you have to weigh where you are, where you're going, and what's important to you.

That's different for EVERY person in here.

Wishing us all luck in our choices, FL, NC, or otherwise. I think if you're happy with WHO you are, you'll be happy with WHERE you are, no matter where that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 01:04 PM

9 posts, read 4,867 times
Tall blonde guy FL,

You are right in most things you mention, atleast to me. I have never lived in Ft L, but I agree with most of what you say, as I have lived in both NC and FL.

I disagree with a couple of your Greensboro "negatives" but agree with all you your "positives" --- especially the last couple. BIG difference in the last 2.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:19 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,804,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallblondeguyFL View Post
My father used to tell me "It's not the place, it's the person". What that means to me is that you can be happy (or find a way to be happy) no matter where you live.
I wouldn't take this statement to the bank. I just took a road trip through the south (GA,SC, NC) basically to include or exclude the south from our list of places to move from South Florida. Greenville SC was a place that we had heard some good things about, so we spent a few days in and around Greenville. And I can tell you that there is no way that I would be happy living in Greenville for an extending time period. Greenville is just too little and too sleepy for someone thats young and that grew up in Miami, IMO. You know if I was retired Greenville and places just north of it would be a nice place, and I could be happy. But I am not retired and not close to it.

We stopped and spent a few days in Charlotte, and we just felt there was nothing special about it. Like if you could call Charlotte, Louisville or Indianoplis adn no one whould know the difference, where Chalreston and Savannah had their own unique feel.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 PM

440 posts, read 1,368,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallblondeguyFL View Post
Well, if this thread shows nothing else, it shows that we each have our own opinions, so I'll offer mine for a moment.

A few years ago I moved from Greensboro, NC to FtLauderdale Florida.

Each place has it's positives and negatives. Some of mine are below, for your consideration.

Greensboro NC Negatives.
__Higher property crime rate than FtLaud, FL.
__Narrow minded (often called "red neck") attitudes (also read "less progressive".)
__Less active social life
__State income tax
__Ever increasing vehicle tax and inspection regulations.
__High and ever-rising cost of living (yes, just as high as Broward, except for property ownership)
__Traffic (yes, get on I-85/40 during rush hours and you're in 8 lane hell, similar to I-95.)
__Poorer overall job market in most specialties.
__Poor air-quality (caused by metro areas like NY and DC to north or ATL, CLT to south, depending on wind direction.)
__Water shortages getting worse each year.
__Backwards attitudes in city government.
__More limited health-care in Metro area.
__Cold winters (yes, 0-20 at night and ice-storms occur pretty much each winter.)
__HOTTER summers (overall, the heat and heat-index in GSO is generally higher than for the same high-temp periods in Broward county. In other words, when it's 85 in Ft.Lauderdale, it's 90 in Greensboro with the same humidity, although,in all fairness, it is shorter lived.)

Greensboro NC Positives
__Less violent crime stats than Broward
__Lower housing costs (about 30% lower considering taxes and prices.)
__Less crowded, depending on area.
__Less school violence (although school quality is not much better.)
__Shorter summers (althought hotter in general than S.Florida, see above.)
__Generally nicer attitudes (less of the NY "get outta my way" attitude you find in S.Florida.)
__Better drivers than S.FL.

Broward Postives and Negatives I won't be-labor here (see other posts above, SOME of which are accurate.)

For me, I am enjoying this time in S.Florida. I love the sand, the beach, the night-life, my network of friends. I love sitting by my pool having dinner or talking with friends in November and December.......is it harder to live here? Yes. Generally more expensive? Yes. But the trade-offs for me are worth it, even if I do have to work longer hours to enjoy it.

Will my opinion change if kids are in the picture, or if I was retiring? Probably, yes... but you have to weigh where you are, where you're going, and what's important to you.

That's different for EVERY person in here.

Wishing us all luck in our choices, FL, NC, or otherwise. I think if you're happy with WHO you are, you'll be happy with WHERE you are, no matter where that is.

Great post man ..... I wish we saw more like these on this forum .... people here take it to extremes both the bashers and the wearers of "Rose Colored Glasses " when it comes to South Florida and especially Miami . I know people who have moved to North Carolina and Georgia and love it and will also bash South Florida when ever they get a chance and yet I know others who bashed South Florida when they lived here , moved to the aforementioned places and now are bored out of their wits there and want to come back !!!

Again it depends on what makes you happy and how you define quality of life ... I live in Boca Raton , single and make good money , travel all over the country for business and I have to say I love it down here .... would I feel the same if I was married and had kids .... probably not .

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I wouldn't take this statement to the bank. I just took a road trip through the south (GA,SC, NC) basically to include or exclude the south from our list of places to move from South Florida. Greenville SC was a place that we had heard some good things about, so we spent a few days in and around Greenville. And I can tell you that there is no way that I would be happy living in Greenville for an extending time period. Greenville is just too little and too sleepy for someone thats young and that grew up in Miami, IMO. You know if I was retired Greenville and places just north of it would be a nice place, and I could be happy. But I am not retired and not close to it.

We stopped and spent a few days in Charlotte, and we just felt there was nothing special about it. Like if you could call Charlotte, Louisville or Indianoplis adn no one whould know the difference, where Chalreston and Savannah had their own unique feel.
Doggiebus another good post , I feel the same way you do ... in the Carolinas only Asheville would appeal to me and of the big southern cities only Atlanta would "float my boat " ..... Charlotte , Louisville and Indianapolis all do feel very similar and "wooden" in my opinion .

Last edited by mbmouse; 11-21-2007 at 08:38 PM..

Old 11-19-2007, 02:45 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,783,562 times
Quote:
Like if you could call Charlotte, Louisville or Indianoplis adn no one whould know the difference, where Chalreston and Savannah had their own unique feel.
I thought I was the only one!!!I think Charlotte is a nice, clean startup city for a young family. It's the Hyundai Sonata of cities, nothing wrong with it for a family for a good price, does the job very well, but bland. It's not really a place to idolize because it's one of the highest crime metros in the country and the traffic kind of reminds me of a mini-Atlanta. Personally I'll take Raleigh over Charlotte any day. It's bumping up to a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry. South FL is...something else, LOL, but it would definitely be a two door, expensive, and with a small trunk and bad gas mileage. But with it's own advantages, and if you had to, can be adapted for a child.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-19-2007 at 02:53 PM..

Old 11-19-2007, 03:17 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,804,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
I thought I was the only one!!!I think Charlotte is a nice, clean startup city for a young family. It's the Hyundai Sonata of cities, nothing wrong with it for a family for a good price, does the job very well, but bland. It's not really a place to idolize because it's one of the highest crime metros in the country and the traffic kind of reminds me of a mini-Atlanta. Personally I'll take Raleigh over Charlotte any day. It's bumping up to a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry. South FL is...something else, LOL, but it would definitely be a two door, expensive, and with a small trunk and bad gas mileage. But with it's own advantages, and if you had to, can be adapted for a child.
Nope you are not the only one, actually when we told a few people we were going to look at Charlotte we heard the same statement. We kinda ignored those statements and went to look anyways, and when we left we both looked at each other and said, yep they were right. I liked your analogy, I got a little chuckle out of it.

I agree, I thought Raleigh was kinda bland, but compared to Charlotte, Raleigh isn't as bland as I thought.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:11 PM

548 posts, read 391,818 times
Quote:
Nope you are not the only one, actually when we told a few people we were going to look at Charlotte we heard the same statement. We kinda ignored those statements and went to look anyways, and when we left we both looked at each other and said, yep they were right. I liked your analogy, I got a little chuckle out of it.

I agree, I thought Raleigh was kinda bland, but compared to Charlotte, Raleigh isn't as bland as I thought.
Bland, thank you. That was the word I was looking for when people ask me what it was like to live in Charlotte and Raleigh. I always tell people who ask that the air quality was poor, and we were bored there.

But bland is exactly the description I was looking for!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,053 times
Default NC is heaven compared to Miami

As to taxes in NC, yes you pay them on your house, income, and car, but it is really a small price to pay for living in a nice place! (There are plenty of other states that have similar taxes that are much higher.) Everything else there is cheaper, housing (1/4-1/3 of what you pay here), insurance (1/3 of Miami), food, gas, just to name a few. We actually kept our house there, because unlike most places in the US, real estate values continue to rise at least 5%/year. We could sell our house right now in a couple of weeks there for three times what we paid if we wanted. Salaries are quite proportionate (if not better in some fields there) than in Miami. And most of the nice places have already thought about infrasture and sprawl. Which is where your taxes go, not into a crooked politicians pocket like Miami. Chapel Hill has an entirely free bus system, with new buses, and NO crime compared to Miami. As a native Carolinian, the triangle, Wilmington, Asheville, and even areas around Charlotte, blow Miami away!

We were forced to move to Miami: my work moved from IL to here-and thank God we're not here for long. I lived much better in NC on a quarter of my current salary than I do now in Miami. Not to mention, had much less daily stress (people don't flick you off when THEY do something wrong). Both my husband and I have really tried to like Miami, but it just seems to make even the most well balanced person into unhappy, "more rude that we'd ever thought we'd be" people. So get out while you can, you'll love it there if you don't like what you see here. Wish we could go too!

If you think there's nothing to do in NC you are wrong! We feel deprived for art, music, and culture here in Miami. We thought it was a real city. We were wrong. (Only one Ethiopian restaurant in the whole of Miami-Dade, and forget about authentic Chinese or Mexican food). It's really a shame that such a large "place" is so lame compared to a little town like Chapel Hill, NC. That is, unless you're looking for Salsa music every night, too many "chain" restaurants, almost everyone you meet being rude, fake, inconsiderate and selfish all rolled into one, lots of racism (believe me I never REALLY experienced racism/genuine hate on such a grand scale until we moved to Miami). But don't get me wrong, they do have Salsa on the weekends, quite a large hispanic population (mostly from Mexico & South America), a few chain restaurants if you get bored with the really good food, and the occasional traffic jam on the 40 during July 4th weekend.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:45 AM

548 posts, read 391,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever tarheel View Post
As to taxes in NC, yes you pay them on your house, income, and car, but it is really a small price to pay for living in a nice place! (There are plenty of other states that have similar taxes that are much higher.) Everything else there is cheaper, housing (1/4-1/3 of what you pay here), insurance (1/3 of Miami), food, gas, just to name a few. We actually kept our house there, because unlike most places in the US, real estate values continue to rise at least 5%/year. We could sell our house right now in a couple of weeks there for three times what we paid if we wanted. Salaries are quite proportionate (if not better in some fields there) than in Miami. And most of the nice places have already thought about infrasture and sprawl. Which is where your taxes go, not into a crooked politicians pocket like Miami. Chapel Hill has an entirely free bus system, with new buses, and NO crime compared to Miami. As a native Carolinian, the triangle, Wilmington, Asheville, and even areas around Charlotte, blow Miami away!

We were forced to move to Miami: my work moved from IL to here-and thank God we're not here for long. I lived much better in NC on a quarter of my current salary than I do now in Miami. Not to mention, had much less daily stress (people don't flick you off when THEY do something wrong). Both my husband and I have really tried to like Miami, but it just seems to make even the most well balanced person into unhappy, "more rude that we'd ever thought we'd be" people. So get out while you can, you'll love it there if you don't like what you see here. Wish we could go too!

If you think there's nothing to do in NC you are wrong! We feel deprived for art, music, and culture here in Miami. We thought it was a real city. We were wrong. (Only one Ethiopian restaurant in the whole of Miami-Dade, and forget about authentic Chinese or Mexican food). It's really a shame that such a large "place" is so lame compared to a little town like Chapel Hill, NC. That is, unless you're looking for Salsa music every night, too many "chain" restaurants, almost everyone you meet being rude, fake, inconsiderate and selfish all rolled into one, lots of racism (believe me I never REALLY experienced racism/genuine hate on such a grand scale until we moved to Miami). But don't get me wrong, they do have Salsa on the weekends, quite a large hispanic population (mostly from Mexico & South America), a few chain restaurants if you get bored with the really good food, and the occasional traffic jam on the 40 during July 4th weekend.
Chapel Hill? We lived there and the downtown is beyond lame. Franklin Street seems to get worse every year. Besides the college campus, Chapel Hill is awful.

NC has some nice spots. But overall the air quality is rated very poor and the cities are exactly like one poster described, bland.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:56 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,783,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forever tarheel View Post

(Only one Ethiopian restaurant in the whole of Miami-Dade, and forget about authentic Chinese or Mexican food). too many "chain" restaurants, almost everyone you meet being rude, fake, inconsiderate and selfish all rolled into one, lots of racism (believe me I never REALLY experienced racism/genuine hate on such a grand scale until we moved to Miami). But don't get me wrong, they do have Salsa on the weekends, quite a large hispanic population (mostly from Mexico & South America),
Are you sure you moved here? If you have real estate to sell, check out the classified ads section. Or at least do some sufficient research before you pose as a Miami resident. I see you mentioned the lack of Ethiopian food (picked that one up for blksophsticado), "Chains" (picked that one up from the Orlando forum) and large Mexican population (where the hell did you get that one from?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or