U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:21 PM

548 posts, read 393,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Are you sure you moved here? If you have real estate to sell, check out the classified ads section. Or at least do some sufficient research before you pose as a Miami resident. I see you mentioned the lack of Ethiopian food (picked that one up for blksophsticado), "Chains" (picked that one up from the Orlando forum) and large Mexican population (where the hell did you get that one from?).
Nice post. You could tell that person never lived anywhere near Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,056 times
Quote:
Are you sure you moved here? If you have real estate to sell, check out the classified ads section. Or at least do some sufficient research before you pose as a Miami resident. I see you mentioned the lack of Ethiopian food (picked that one up for blksophsticado), "Chains" (picked that one up from the Orlando forum) and large Mexican population (where the hell did you get that one from?).
Unfortunately, unless this is a bad dream that I hopefully will wake up from soon, all evidence points to yes, I do live in Miami. My zip code is 33133 (no it's not Overtown, but it's still no paradise for sure). My morning walk to the metrorail is no casual stroll, with all the honking horns, people in cars yelling, spanish billboards, and big fat homeless guy laying on the sidewalk by the metro station (not the mention all the garbage, lack of sidewalks, and unpleasant aromas in just a couple of blocks). Crossing US-1 is just what everyone needs to start off the day, as you have 2 seconds to make it across four lanes and still get flicked off by the person on the cell phone who can't wait til their light turns green and tries to run you over. And that's just to make it to the morning train. Never mind what happens when you try to do something as simple as go to the market.

Perhaps, my previous post (directed to the person who wanted to leave Miami for NC) was not clear. Let me clarify it for you:

1) I still own real estate in NC. I don't want to sell it because in NC, I will make a profit. If I buy a house in Miami, for the short time we're here, there's a substantially chance I will lose money or barely break even.
2) As far as I can tell, there is one Ethiopian restaurant in downtown Miami. If you know of more, please let me know.
3) Chain restaurants- yet again, my own observation. It was easy to find a locally run fantastic restaurant in Chapel Hill, with great service, for less than $25/person at dinner. Sure, this is Miami and everything costs more. I'd be willing to pay more, if the food and service were good. When I asked my friend (who's lived here all her life) what her favorite restaurant was in the Grove, she said Chesscake Factory.
4) The large Mexican population: that is in Chapel Hill, surely not Miami! They wouldn't be welcomed here! Which is most likely why there is no good Mexican food in Miami. If you know an authentic Chinese or Mexican restaurant, please enlighten us! We're still looking.

And finally, if I'm not living in Miami, then why am I surrounded by people who have the attitude, 'if you don't like it leave', 'you're what's making it bad', etc? I WANT TO LEAVE thanks to all the "overwhelming friendly" long time Miami die hard residents who've made me feel "so very welcome here". When my job is done, I will do so happily! If Miami is so great, tell me exactly what is so great! I'm obviously not seeing it, despite trying.

My attitude is live and let live. You have the right to think your "city" is fantastic, and I have the right to agree with the person in the original post, that it can be a living nightmare. Why all this negativity from the people who want to defend Miami and are so willing to ATTACK those who disagree? Instead, tell us exactly what's so fantastic, if we're all so wrong. Some of us ARE willing to listen.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 AM

440 posts, read 1,369,830 times
Quote:

Man you are good ....... kudos and Happy Thanksgiving !!!

Ethiopian food ... WTF ..... sounds like an oxymoron ?

Old 11-21-2007, 09:40 AM

8,376 posts, read 27,815,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post

Ethiopian food ... WTF ..... sounds like an oxymoron ?
Actually Ethiopian food is delicious and an amazing experience. The only one is in Little Havana, not downtown.

But thank you , and happy thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or