U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:15 PM

94 posts, read 405,221 times

Advertisements

Well, after loving the Miami life for almost 20 years. It saddens me that I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! Anyone else feeling the same? The rat-race, the traffic, taxes, taxes and more taxes, insurance, poor customer service, too many people.....and not to forget: taxes. They call those from the Northeast who moved all the way down to Florida, and now on their way up to the mid-east "Halfbacks". Insight and opionions welcomed!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 07:17 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,918,932 times
You think taxes are bad here? LOL, you are in for a rude awakening in NC.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:18 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,806,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseymiami View Post
Well, after loving the Miami life for almost 20 years. It saddens me that I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! Anyone else feeling the same? The rat-race, the traffic, taxes, taxes and more taxes, insurance, poor customer service, too many people.....and not to forget: taxes. They call those from the Northeast who moved all the way down to Florida, and now on their way up to the mid-east "Halfbacks". Insight and opionions welcomed!!!
Yeah, everyone except for me . For now .

I think the "taxes, taxes, more taxes" comment is downright hilarious, because in NC, not only is your property taxed, but your groceries are taxed AND your INCOME is taxed. Talk about taxes, taxes and more taxes. Oh, and your CAR is taxed for OWNERSHIP, even MORE taxes. .

Definitely go for Raleigh over Charlotte. Charlotte's crime rate as a metropolitan area, is literally only one level behind Miami-Dade County, and I have sat in more traffic there visiting than I do in 6 months in Fort Lauderdale.Schools pretty much suck too. A grossly overrated place. Raleigh is a nice place to live, assuming you can take the boring factor, because traffic is low, schools are good, crime is pretty low, and it's not crowded.

WakeGOV.com - Vehicle Taxes

I noticed you were considering Cary and Apex. Both good choices but if you have a family, beware that the schools suck on the eastern half and have a high proportion of free/reduced lunch students. The west half has serious drug issues in the schools. All and all a good, if bland place to live though. To tell you the truth Cary seems no different from living in Coral Springs or Cooper City vs Miami.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 10-21-2007 at 07:31 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 07:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,823,786 times
North carolina is not the place to be unless you're retired it seems. If I leave Florida Alabama is on my list, but if I get really frustrated, maybe Iowa.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,551,184 times
"You think taxes are bad here? LOL, you are in for a rude awakening in NC."

compared to miami taxes? absolutely nothing. paying 1000/yr for a 200k house in western nc is expensive? how much do you pay in miami?

well for you all that maybe be going to nc after living in fla via ny, please dont turn nc into another fla as you turned fla into ny a long time ago. that is just straight up. not trying to hurt anyone's feelings but there are a lot of floridians that moved to nc and want to keep nc the way it is, like what fla used to be. the really dont want ppl changing it.

your money will go a hell of a lot further in nc than it will in miami. a nice house in cary or raliegh may cost you 200k-250k. what is that house in miami gonna cost you? a 4/2 ba home on half an acre... seriously? in miami? 500k? atleast?

paying taxes on groceries and property tax on your car? property tax on cars are a couple hundred bucks for a nice car. and the sales tax on food is nowhere near the cost of homeownership and property taxes in miami. not even close guys, honestly.

in cary/raleigh, a combined income of 100k (just making up a number) will get you much further than in miami. much further. easily. this isnt even comparable.

and this doesnt even include the "sanity factor" when comparing the two. raliegh is a good, nice, friendly place to live. i love my state of fla, but i dont care to even step foot in miami.

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-22-2007 at 08:28 PM..

Old 10-21-2007, 09:48 PM

2,209 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
"You think taxes are bad here? LOL, you are in for a rude awakening in NC."

compared to miami taxes? absolutely nothing. paying 1000/yr for a 200k house in western nc is expensive? how much do you pay in miami?
You'll pay on whatever you earn in NC are you kidding me?

A move to NC would cost us 15K a year minimum. Plus the much higher health insurance costs and all the other taxes that the illustrious government of NC thinks is a good idea for it's servants to pay.

There's no comparison although the gap has shrunk somewhat in the last couple of years. WAIT till Jethro decides he needs to build all new infrastructure, schools etc up yonder. Hahaha the best is yet to come. Pretty countryside but you'll pay.

I'm not in Miami. I'm on the west coast of Fla about 2 1/2 hours north

Old 10-21-2007, 10:07 PM

15k a yr? well you may make that much more in salary, depending on which city in nc you choose. the sanity factor is worth atleast 10k though. lol.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:43 PM

518 posts, read 1,997,746 times
Tennessee may be surpassing North Carolina as the No. 1 destination for Floridians. There's no state income tax in Tennessee, although the sales tax is 9 percent, I think.

Most of the Floridians who have homes in western North Carolina are retirees or rich folks who live there part-time and remain Florida residents in part because they don't want to pay that North Carolina income tax (and they do like the winter weather here). As much as I like western North Carolina, and as hard as it can be for families to make it here, I'd probably advise younger people/parents who are looking to leave South Florida not to move to WNC unless they already have a job lined up. Even in Asheville, the job market doesn't exactly seem like it's booming.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:29 AM

94 posts, read 405,221 times
I should have clarified- PROPERTY TAXES are absurd here in Miami. We pay 8K for a 500K house 3/2. That is absurd!

The houses in Raleigh are half that amount, taxes in Raleigh area for a 250 house are less than 2k. The Cary area has been voted in top 10 in the country for several years. Schools seem to be great - although they seem to want to go to a "year-round" system. I am not ready to retire and I am not rich, but the thought of a more sirene life, not as much rat-race and less congestion remains tempting.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:44 AM

jerseymiami, raleigh/cary is so much better than living in miami... are u kidding? you should do it. but remember what i said in my earlier posts. what already happened to florida is upsetting to many native floridians. many floridians moved to nc for a better life and to appreciate the lifestyle up there. they dont want nc changing and becoming like the place they left. that is just a friendly reminder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or