Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:01 PM

9 posts, read 88,564 times

Advertisements

Hey, can anyone tell me the name of a character from a kids' show that started when Channel 6 first came on the air (1968?) as an independent? He was a superhero type in a white costume with mask and cape. I'm pretty sure he was Captain ...something, but I'm drawing a blank on the name. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 06:28 PM

I'm still not sure, but I may have found an answer to the superhero question. I think I was wrong about the "Captain" part of his name. Does "White Baron" ring any bells with anyone out there? The "mask" he wore may have been more like an old aviator's helmet and goggles. It seems to me that the character was more than just a kids' show host. When Channel 6 first signed on as independent station WCIX (I see now that it was in 1967, not 1968), he was heavily featured in the station's promos, acting as a sort of mascot for the new channel.

Hoping for confirmation or further info from someone out there. Thanks.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:19 AM

224 posts, read 1,001,090 times
Big Wilson is a blast from the past!

To me it will always be the Centrust Building (now the Bank of America building).. hahha.

I don't remember the White Baron at all... My family moved to Miami in 1976 so that was a little later then when Channel 6 started...

I do remember when Power 96 came on the air, I think it was called 96X and all they did was play the top 10 songs over and over...LOL... Very different format than it is now...

Old 04-24-2008, 04:04 PM

3 posts, read 15,550 times
Default White Baron

I think The White Baron was a popular serial segment that appeared on the Skipper Chuch show in the late 60's and early 70's in Miami. He was a somewhat blundering tongue-in-cheek superhero type as I recall. I grew up in Miami and as a child had the 45 record of the theme song. I can remember some of the words, which are no doubt mangled, and can still hum the tune and hear the chinsy surf guitar in the background:

(chorus) The White Baron .... The White Baron.... THE WHITE BARRRRRRRONNN!
Look out, it's the White Baron
Dressed in white from cloak to boot
Zoomin in, it's the White Baron
He can ride his finest, finest (?rhymes with suit)
But he never gets a spot ....
On his pretty white suit!!

There were some children who got lost in a cave
couldn't find there way out, it was (something something) grave
The White Baron blah blah blah
blah blah blah
etc.
They found their way out .... just by the light of his smile!!!

(chorus)

Flying in a figure eight upside down,
he spotted a tornado blah blah blah the ground
blahblahblabhlabha
fell into a tank with a splash and a thud!
When the episode was over he was perfectly clean,
'cause the tank he fell in ...
was filled with vanilla ice cream!

(chorus)

If anyone remembers more lyrics or details, chime in. This song has been an earworm for me for 40 years, which is why I looked it up on the Internet and found this entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasolt View Post
Hey, can anyone tell me the name of a character from a kids' show that started when Channel 6 first came on the air (1968?) as an independent? He was a superhero type in a white costume with mask and cape. I'm pretty sure he was Captain ...something, but I'm drawing a blank on the name. Help!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:20 PM

100 posts, read 502,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
Big Wilson is a blast from the past!

To me it will always be the Centrust Building (now the Bank of America building).. hahha.

I don't remember the White Baron at all... My family moved to Miami in 1976 so that was a little later then when Channel 6 started...

I do remember when Power 96 came on the air, I think it was called 96X and all they did was play the top 10 songs over and over...LOL... Very different format than it is now...
And that wasn't the first incarnation of 96X either. They had been on the air previously on the 96.3 frequency as 96X from October 1975 until Valentine's Day 1981, when they were shut down by the FCC, primarily due to some issues with questionable contest giveaway policies.

Check out this great link to get a bit more info.: 96X Miami

Old 04-24-2008, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the info, Iowa. As for the theme song, I definitely remember "Look out, it's the White Baron", but I could never have come up with more than that.

You may be right about the Skipper Chuck connection - I was in my early teens by that time so I didn't really follow "kid's shows" that closely. In my mind, though, I still associate the White Baron with Channel 6, and as more than a kid's host. I seem to remember him appearing in parades, at store openings, and all kinds of promos for the station. I think Skipper Chuck (was it Chuck Zink?) was on Channel 4 - he also did weather reports. Of course my memory may be faulty, or those station affiliations may have changed after I moved away in 1972.

You're right though - he wasn't a serious super hero. He was played for laughs, along the lines of the "Batman" craze of the time. I'm glad to know that someone else remembers. Thanks again.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Wow. I can't believe someone brought up Big Wilsons Night Owl Theater. I have been on so many other forums asking if anyone remembers this and have never gotten a response. I was just a little kid but I would sneak into the tv room to watch his show and I remember all of the JouJou jean ads coming on every commercial cycle. I was such a strange little kid lol.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 15,550 times
Default White Baron

Somebody else also wrote to me privately and said that they thought the White Baron hosted a kids cartoon hour that came on after school, maybe a spin off from Skipper Chuck? That jogged my memory, I recall cartoons like "Prince Planet", "Kimba the White Lion" and "Batfink" from that era.

Yes it was Chuck Zinc. He was a much loved childrens' host in Miami when I was growing up and remained an advocate and philanthropist until his death a few years ago. The obituary mentioned that he was also brave enough to integrate children on his show when that was unheard of in the 60's. I didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasolt View Post
Thanks for the info, Iowa. As for the theme song, I definitely remember "Look out, it's the White Baron", but I could never have come up with more than that.

You may be right about the Skipper Chuck connection - I was in my early teens by that time so I didn't really follow "kid's shows" that closely. In my mind, though, I still associate the White Baron with Channel 6, and as more than a kid's host. I seem to remember him appearing in parades, at store openings, and all kinds of promos for the station. I think Skipper Chuck (was it Chuck Zink?) was on Channel 4 - he also did weather reports. Of course my memory may be faulty, or those station affiliations may have changed after I moved away in 1972.

You're right though - he wasn't a serious super hero. He was played for laughs, along the lines of the "Batman" craze of the time. I'm glad to know that someone else remembers. Thanks again.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 5,881 times
Default Big Wilson

Hey, does anyone remember the name of the pizza sponser of Big Wilson's night owl theatre?

Old 06-17-2008, 07:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
I remember one time seeing big Wilson caught eating those little mini doughnuts after a commercial break. He swept the box into his lap and tried to play it off as if nothing happened. "Well we're back... and now let's return to <insert name of movie here>". It was so funny. After that we always called him Pig Wilson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami