Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:16 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,736,755 times

Advertisements

I've always thought of Wilton Manors as a place for an older crowd of gays. And I would assume that WM hasn't changed much in that respect. The article sort of touched on that: "The gay community has evolved and matured as people settled down in relationships and sought a quieter, family-friendly place to put down roots."

Make no mistake about it, despite the fact that South Beach has changed a lot over the years, there are still plenty of gays living there.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:14 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,872,161 times
Pretty sure there is a large gayborhood in Fort Lauderdale near the beach area. Fort Lauderdale is also cheaper than Miami (the economy there isn't as strong as Miami's) so you will get more bang for your buck in terms of rentals.

Not sure where to look specifically but the commute from Miami to Fort Lauderdale is a ***** if you're a student. I used to commute from Aventura (very northern part of Miami) to Davie for class 5 days a week and it was 30-60 minutes of driving.

Miami is more fun and young and diverse but commuting to presumably FAU will be a pain. You are from LA so maybe you're used to all the traffic

Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times
Miami is more for the recreational drug using, bug chasing club goers. Broward has more of the "gay community" that never took hold in the Miami area. Wilton Manors was a declining, darkening area but it was in the gay zone being close to the coasts and an older, initially cheaper area. South Beach was the same in the 80's and became homocentered in the 90's. If you live in the western suburbs you rarely encounter the openly gay. I have not seen obvious homosexuals in such a long time. I do remember many friends being "hit on" by gay guys on south beach in the 90's.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 PM

313 posts, read 643,104 times
I'm not up to date with the "gay scene" but in Miami it still revolves heavily around Miami Beach. A lot of it is spilling onto Biscayne boulevard and the Upper Eastside and Midtown. I was just a gay sports bar in Midtown a couple weeks ago, it's the only one in town apparently.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:18 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,280,371 times
You'll find gay people more along the coast compared to out west in the 'burbs.

You might check out Ft. Lauderdale beach. Close to Wilton Manors but not right in it.

Generally yes, Wilton Manors is the older gays whereas South Beach is the younger party gays. You might also check out Downtown Miami/Brickell. That will give you more white collar folks.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:28 PM

93 posts, read 309,681 times
Egello, what type of men do you like, masculine or the more feminine types? Chelsea boys? drag queens?

Old 03-13-2013, 08:09 AM

270 posts, read 701,129 times
Stay in Ft. Lauderdale. Traffic in Miami is the one of the worst.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times
I doubt that many gays like the feminine types. Sadly those are the easiest to spot.
The Making Of Village Pub Wilton Manors - YouTube

Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,914,918 times
I'm gay and give you the info. Wilton Manors is mostly older gay couples and back yard cookouts, but Fort Lauderdale is more of the liquor swilling and hook up drama queens trying desperately to look like they're in their 20s despite being in their 30s and 40s. You know, the ones that will qualify as bar trolls in just a few years! Miami (not Miami Beach) is more of a post-gay vibe. Yeah, I'm gay and date guys, but it doesn't define me and my friends are a mix- I don't need a gay plumber and to shop at the gay grocery store, etc. kind of people. Miami Beach are the hardcore party and circuit gays. They are plucked, tweezed, and implanted and spout off about being "bitchy" and "fab-u-lous" and love mincing around.

Of course, you can find people who differ from that, but those are the general vibes. I prefer Midtown/Brickell/Design district Miami. I do like FTL, but I tire of the endless drunkenness and debauchery that surrounds me when I'm there.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:22 PM

12 posts, read 17,414 times
Argghhh,,, so what is the consensus? Live by the beach in FTL and go down to Miami for clubbing? Yes, I am from LA, but I really HATE the LA traffic and it is something I am trying to get away from. Also, I am more into clubs that play good music as suppose to going to club to get drunk. I guess I am more of an alternative type kinda gay, lol, not a circuit queen, though I do appreciate and love good parties. Do people that live in FTL often go down to Miami on the weekend to party? or do they all stay up there and just hang out there? I was thinking maybe I should live in Hollywood so that i will be in the middle of FTL and Miami. What do you all guys all think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami