U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 PM

8,287 posts, read 10,490,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
These extra tolls shouldn't go towards building more roads. They should go towards improving & expanding mass transit.
That would be a way of expanding Metrorail if use they some of the millions they get in tolls. MDX should be folded into Miami Dade Transit and become one agency. I believe that's how they do it in NYC but somebody can correct me on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 05:52 PM

2,076 posts, read 5,347,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Tolls are annoying but we have it pretty easy here compared to other cities. Tolls in NYC or Boston are a lot worse. Two cities which don't have much or any tolls though which I can think of are LA and DC. Lots of highways in LA and some of them are state highways but not many tolls. And D.C. Being all federal roads there are zero tolls.
Tax crazy CT will at some point join the crowd.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 PM

239 posts, read 272,182 times
After spending so many years in the West I got irritated by tolls when I returned. More than two axles really adds to the bill. A few years ago I pulled my camper up the Eastern seaboard. A damn bridge in the Baltimore area set me back something like 35 bucks.

In Miami I like to creatively avoid the toll roads the same way I handicap the best time to buy gas. The football stadium is annoying as heck. I despise that place because it's two tolls coming and going. Cha ching. I might try an alternate route next season.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:14 AM

530 posts, read 1,807,747 times
The Truth About Tolls from Commissioner Xavier Suarez | Move Miami-Dade

Suarez says it as it should be said.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:16 PM

8,287 posts, read 10,490,765 times
^ gbugmiami thanks for the link to the above website which deals with transportation issues in Miami Dade county. After browsing the website i was amazed that the premise I proposed above about merging MDX & MD Transit into one agency has been thought about besides me. One of the best ideas about merging both agencies is using toll revenue to expand mass transit throughout the county.

The Problem With Transit in Miami | Move Miami-Dade

Any thoughts?

Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 PM

6,968 posts, read 14,148,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ gbugmiami thanks for the link to the above website which deals with transportation issues in Miami Dade county. After browsing the website i was amazed that the premise I proposed above about merging MDX & MD Transit into one agency has been thought about besides me. One of the best ideas about merging both agencies is using toll revenue to expand mass transit throughout the county.

The Problem With Transit in Miami | Move Miami-Dade

Any thoughts?
I think thats a darn good idea.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 AM

151 posts, read 155,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I think thats a darn good idea.
No I think it's a darn bad idea. Leave it as it is. I don't want those toll roads to look like crap because the toll money I'm paying is being used to finance public transportation instead of mantaining those roads. I will stop using the service if that is the case. Why pay for a service I am not gonna get? If you want money then charge higher fares or implemement a tax that every citizen pays.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:18 AM

9,255 posts, read 21,668,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem Shake View Post
No I think it's a darn bad idea. Leave it as it is. I don't want those toll roads to look like crap because the toll money I'm paying is being used to finance public transportation instead of mantaining those roads. I will stop using the service if that is the case. Why pay for a service I am not gonna get? If you want money then charge higher fares or implemement a tax that every citizen pays.
Too bad they are working to make them look like crap now. I am going to take a pic of the low quality work they have done with the bridge over Sunset, something i have to look at from now on when at my mom's home. Disgusting!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM

151 posts, read 155,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Too bad they are working to make them look like crap now. I am going to take a pic of the low quality work they have done with the bridge over Sunset, something i have to look at from now on when at my mom's home. Disgusting!
Well better than abandon them altogether. If toll money is set aside they will build more useless bus lanes. We couldn't even build a train to Homestead when the space was already there No one here wants a noisy train in their neighborhood. This ain't NYC. If the city of Miami wants to upgrade their urban core then the city can tax its citizens, not the county suburbs who are never gonna use that service. Why should the suburbs be punished?

Please people I'm a democrat but you are really waking up my inner republican with this nonsense.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 PM

525 posts, read 467,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem Shake View Post
Well better than abandon them altogether. If toll money is set aside they will build more useless bus lanes. We couldn't even build a train to Homestead when the space was already there No one here wants a noisy train in their neighborhood. This ain't NYC. If the city of Miami wants to upgrade their urban core then the city can tax its citizens, not the county suburbs who are never gonna use that service. Why should the suburbs be punished?

Please people I'm a democrat but you are really waking up my inner republican with this nonsense.
Many people in the suburbs, like myself, would like to use mass transit as well rather than sit in traffic for 2 hours to go to Brickell, downtown, or South Beach and then have to worry about parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami