Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:47 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

Did this with a few other prospective cities. just wondering if anywhere in miami u could get by w/o a car??? possibly brickell? bike around... commute to downtown easily? thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 12:52 PM

65 posts, read 232,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Did this with a few other prospective cities. just wondering if anywhere in miami u could get by w/o a car??? possibly brickell? bike around... commute to downtown easily? thoughts?

Cars are king in Miami, not to mention I've discovered they're cheaper up north. If I was you I'd purchase a car online and have it shipped when you move.

Bon chance

Old 10-26-2007, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 17,130 times
Absolutely not..I had to learn how to drive when I moved here...need a car for sure. Only way to do it is to live and work on South Beach and even then you would probably want a car to go anywhere else.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:02 PM

152 posts, read 572,316 times
Quote:
Impossible! Brickell are is nice but dead after 6 PM so you will need to get a car to go anywhere.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:09 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
I would say Miami Beach or Aventura.....anywhere on the east near the Beaches you can make it without a car...my father works in law enforcement for one of the state agencies in Florida down there and he is about 56 years old and has lived over near Bay Harbor Islands in a studio and then moved to another small apartment near Sunny Isles right on the west side of the intercoastal (i stayed there with him for a little while and we didnt have a car) and he only has a bicycle and has been living without a car for about 10 years down there now.....and doing fine....i guess it depends on your situation though...maybe if you had kids living with you it might be different

Old 10-26-2007, 02:57 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,543 times
Quote:
I have to agree and say no as well.
Try out this webiste: Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.
It may help for other prospective cities.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:30 PM

150 posts, read 426,311 times
Default Miami without a car??

I would agree that in South Beach this could be possible. If you were planning to work in Downtown Miami, you would have to live in Downtown Miami, not Brickell, but north of the River. They are building a bunch of new apartments in Downtown Miami. And the housing bubble is surely about to burst and the housing prices fall. But elsewhere in Miami, never happen, without a car. Miami's public transport has to be one of the worst in the country for such a large city (Never been to any other big cities, though, except NY, LA, DC and NO, Something about the two initial thing, hmmmm) especially considering the poverty in Miami.

Good luck

Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
There's no way you can live on the mainland without a car. On Miami Beach you could get by without one, but what a limited life that will be. Mass transit is a joke and shuts down mostly late night. Florida was built around the car.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:18 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,858 times
Between April and October you just step outside for a minute and you're drenched in sweat,I've seen co-workers come in after waiting 20 minutes for their bus to come and then walking and before starting their workday they look like they need to go back home and take a shower.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:17 AM

18 posts, read 59,209 times
I think it's possible in a few areas, maybe with a bike as a backup. South Beach, Coconut Grove would probably work. Depends on where you live and where you want to go. The Metrorail system is pretty good but unless you live next to it, you'd have to get to it. It takes forever to get around using bus transportation, but they do have bike racks; and I think bikes are allowed on the Metrorail also, as long as it's not rush hour. Don't forget, it's mighty hot and steamy in summer, besides the unpredictable rain showers, so walking/biking in summer may not be your favorite thing to do.

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami