U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:02 AM

569 posts, read 623,465 times

Advertisements

High impact windows or hurricane shutters?.....and what are the pros and cons for each?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,355,480 times
I would say high impact windows with hurricane shutters on top.

I'm not really sure which if you're just going to do one or the other, but I would think shutters would be better. Could be wrong but that is my guess.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:30 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,503,610 times
One thing hurricane windows have going for them is sound reduction. We're thinking of changing out our bedroom windows to help with the never ending barking dogs and they're also upstairs so harder for dh to put shutters on the older he gets.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:40 PM

3,757 posts, read 7,898,152 times
Im with Coconut but if I had to choose one, I would say shutters.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:08 PM

6,853 posts, read 20,620,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankhead View Post
High impact windows or hurricane shutters?.....and what are the pros and cons for each?
It depends on your lifestyle a little I say. If you know that you will out of town every summer, then High Impact Windows will be worth it. That way you won't have to worry about hiring someone to deal with shutters. High Impact windows do cut down on the noise like someone already mentioned. They are also good if someone tries to break in.

Now if you don't travel during the summer for weeks on end, then I would go with the shutters. Here is the thing with high impact windows, if something hits it, and it breaks. Your going to have to fix it. With shutters if something dings a shutter, you just replace that shutter, way less expensive than a high impact window.

Shutters are much better in my opinion, the high impact windows aren't worth extra cost.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 PM

102 posts, read 199,029 times
In my opinion the impact windows are better for a variety of reasons . First off they are tested extensively . They don't "break" (they can fracture) . In fact I saw an impact window in for a repair to the company that I hired where the the window was fine but the housing was bent . In short the burglar who was foiled tried to rip the entire frame after he failed to break the window and even that effort failed.

Personally I feel that if a storm is that strong it will blow the entire house down like Hurricane Andrew did in hardest hit locations . The windows might be intact but the rest of the house will go .

In terms of outdoor sounds the windows are very effective. Cosmetically they are beautiful. They arent cheap though and installation does come with DUST !!!

It's imperative to get a permit and choose a reputable company because every clown in the city claims they can do it cheaper and better.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,343,820 times
Depends what you mean by "better." In terms of the absolute strongest protection for the money, I'd say shutters. But in terms of convenience, aesthetics, and year-long head and sound insulation, the windows are better. Depends on the application. Now shutters can get expensive if you put in the automatic roll-up kind, in that cast, it would be better to get the windows.

Another factor to think of is if the shutters get damaged in a storm, you generally only replace a few of the metal panels. If windows get broken, you generally have to replace the entire window, not just the glass panels.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:21 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,503,610 times
I haven't been through a hurricane where shutters would've been better than hurricane windows since 1992. And then the roof went anyway so it's a wash. I'm not to hopeful about the roof I have now withstanding a Hurricane Andrew either. So while my shutters have sat in the corner of a garage all these years, I could've been sleeping better with the sound reducing windows. So I guess it depends on if you want something that will have daily benefits or once in a blue moon benefits.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 PM

4,715 posts, read 9,392,482 times
Pros of Shutters - They are cheaper to buy and install. If they get damaged or end user replaceable. You don't have to r&r your existing windows. That doesn't stop the 2x4 from bending the shutting enough to break the standard windows behind it. (yes, I've seen that) BTW, accordion shutters are easy to install (close) and most people put those on the high up windows.

Pros of Impact Windows - Not only are they 'up' all the time, provide better security than standard windows, they provide sound insulation, and heat insulation. Lower power bill... I needed new windows and doors anyways, if you replace a window or a door in Dade county and they are not impact rated you MUST have a Dade county approved shutter to go along with it. So the cost was about the same for me. I got insulated impact windows.

Another pro - I can SEE outside during a storm and I can OPEN a window or door should I need a new exit.
--
I agree the best is BOTH or at least shutters over some of the more prone to be hit windows. I like the escape route and being able to see. Yes, you can get see thru shutters - but the egress is still compromised and they are more expensive than steel shutters. Aluminum are more, but worth it in weight savings.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,687,502 times
I have been surprised at how flimsy the commercial hurricane resistant windows are compared to my homemade ones. A friend had his outboard engine backfire and blow the carbeuretor through the impact window like it was not there, while mine would stop a sledgehammer. I feel you are better off with shutters. As mentioed above, most homes would be devastated by a storm strong enough to blow out any window. A good friend of mine had unprotected jalousie windows during hurricane Andrew and had only a few break while the neighbor's home lost the whole roof. They had shutters which were unharmed, by the way and he has the flat concrete roof which saved the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami