Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times

Advertisements

I'm checking out careerbuilder and I searched for "Tax" in Miami and 176 listings came up. About all of them were from staffing agencies like Robert Half and I have heard enough horror stories about them.

One of these job ads on careerbuilder by a staffing agency is riddled with horrible grammar. I can't believe this is a legit staffing agency:

Staff Accountant Jobs in Miami, Florida - SNI Financial

Professionals: How do you find decent jobs in Miami? How did you find your current job?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 PM

16 posts, read 24,852 times
If you don't have a good network of people or 'contacts' to rely on, Staffing Agencies are your next best option.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFloridaMan... View Post
If you don't have a good network of people or 'contacts' to rely on, Staffing Agencies are your next best option.
Another possibility is to target specific sectors and specialities, identify companies or public agencies that have significant operations in them, gather intelligence about those companies or agencies, identify heads of departments, including the head of human resources, and write a good old fashioned letter with resume (not email).

Years ago I gathered intelligence through specialty magazines and other publications, and it worked for me in a city where I had no network or contacts, then, years later, through personal contacts.

Nowadays tons of information also floating around the internet, but I think that actually makes it harder, increasing the competition.

No substitute for a good network of people or "contacts", but first you have to know what you want and be able to articulate it in a way that is useful to people with the ability to pay you. Then be creative in using "who you know".

Good Luck!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
TecSystems

Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 AM

231 posts, read 462,544 times
When I got serious about job hunting I updated my résumé and my careerbuilder profile and applied to 10 jobs a day. Now I'm coming from DC and mostly applied for to spots here, but I realized I wanted to move elsewhere so I would targets a city per day. Honestly the day after I targeted Miami, I got two responses back, one which became an interview and a job offer. I am current in the process of moving down for it.

I come from an IT systems background, results may vary for other professions.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:13 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
Got on the internet, it's freelance in the IT field - self-employed. The pay rate is worse than hell, but you make your own schedule, have no boss, no company issues/bureaucracy. Better than nothing with the shoddy economy/unemployment rates.

Besides that I've worked volunteering for local P.D., will probably end up soon becoming a full-time Police Officer somewhere.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFloridaMan... View Post
Seriously? Which ones are respectable? I know some people in Miami but none of them are in my field as I'm a recent grad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Another possibility is to target specific sectors and specialities, identify companies or public agencies that have significant operations in them, gather intelligence about those companies or agencies, identify heads of departments, including the head of human resources, and write a good old fashioned letter with resume (not email).

Years ago I gathered intelligence through specialty magazines and other publications, and it worked for me in a city where I had no network or contacts, then, years later, through personal contacts.

Nowadays tons of information also floating around the internet, but I think that actually makes it harder, increasing the competition.

No substitute for a good network of people or "contacts", but first you have to know what you want and be able to articulate it in a way that is useful to people with the ability to pay you. Then be creative in using "who you know".

Good Luck!

yes, the internet will help me target companies. It seems like quite a few of the smaller firms require Spanish and English fluency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
TecSystems

Huh? What is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityScape0322 View Post
When I got serious about job hunting I updated my résumé and my careerbuilder profile and applied to 10 jobs a day. Now I'm coming from DC and mostly applied for to spots here, but I realized I wanted to move elsewhere so I would targets a city per day. Honestly the day after I targeted Miami, I got two responses back, one which became an interview and a job offer. I am current in the process of moving down for it.

I come from an IT systems background, results may vary for other professions.
Thats great to hear. I'm in public accounting. I am not yet a CPA and only eligible to work entry-level public accounting jobs. Usually, people spend their first two years in CPA firms without actually being certified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
Got on the internet, it's freelance in the IT field - self-employed. The pay rate is worse than hell, but you make your own schedule, have no boss, no company issues/bureaucracy. Better than nothing with the shoddy economy/unemployment rates.

Besides that I've worked volunteering for local P.D., will probably end up soon becoming a full-time Police Officer somewhere.
Yeah, I don't think I would enjoy making "worse than hell money" ....not really sure who would? Thanks tho.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:24 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
I do know IT companies that pay reasonably though - worked for them, much better than my current gig - they don't ask many requirements, they give training material - easy - the work is done via Internet, but they usually employ on a temporary contract basis (like a 6 month term, or a 12 month one, variable). If this would be of interest, just post asking here and I can PM with more info.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM

16 posts, read 24,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Seriously? Which ones are respectable? I know some people in Miami but none of them are in my field as I'm a recent grad.

[SIZE=3]I should have qualify that statement with “If you have marketable skills”.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Staffing Agency usually have existing relationships with the hiring managers so if you have marketable skills, they can quickly get you an interview with a company that is looking for people with your skillset.[/SIZE]

Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Finance industry, transferred down here. Luckily for me, I wanted to go and no one else wanted to live in Miami; there is a cost of living adjustment, but not near enough to make up the differences, so no one wanted to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: