Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,170,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
I used to be all into electronic music in the late 1990s (when it was popular!) but I've never actually attended Ultra because I always associated the festival with commercialized "trance" music. I remember when the first couple of Ultras came along; people who were into the rave scene at the time said that Ultra was for commercialized Power 96 type of crap.
Hahhaha, I know what you mean. I personally wouldn't want to see my underground (unknown) bands exposed to the public mainstream so easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 PM

313 posts, read 645,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
I used to be all into electronic music in the late 1990s (when it was popular!)
Electronic music has never been more popular than it is now.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:38 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,979,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I pretty much ignored it.

I doubt there is much positive effect on the LOCAL economy. If you're a housekeeper at a hotel that's charging twice as much as usual, or a restaurant worker, you're not getting paid double. I doubt 7-eleven clerks get extra commissions due to the increased sales. If you're a professional, you might lose business because it's a headache for clients to get to your downtown office or for you to get out of the office to meet clients. I suppose if you're a drug dealer it would be a boon for your business! Most of the extra money probably goes to the corporate owners and event organizers and promoters outside of the local economy. Same with superbowls, by the way...
If those companies don't make money than those hotel maids, clerks, waiters, bartenders don't have jobs. How about people who own resturants? How about cab drivers? How about the extra money from hotel taxes and sales taxes? To think Super Bowls, BCS games and large events like Ultra don't have an impact on the local economy is just wrong.

It brings in more tax dollars, it brings in more money to the companies so that they want to hire people and I am sure plenty of people worked overtime. Many of the bars and resturants are not huge corporation owned along with some hotels. It certainly has a plus effect on the economy. From the airport to the person selling water bottles from costco.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,415,276 times
I think this is great for businesses in downtown. They made a lot of money the last two weekends from all these people in town or going to area. My guess is the people that work int he offices were inconvenienced on both Fridays and the people living around it who didn't attend weren't to happy. I suspect next year those that live near by that don't want to deal with the craziness will leave town those weekends. Like people in South Beach do for Memorial Day weekend.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:06 AM

92 posts, read 456,615 times
I went Friday for the Heat game, anticipated the craziness and went early. We walked around and enjoyed the people watching. If it was Saturday when Deadmau5 was playing, I probably would have stayed to find a way in. Crowds don't bother me and I always drive my beater ('95 accord - finding tight parking spots and weaving in and out of traffic is alot easier than in my Silverado) when going into DT. Being a fan of EDM since the 90s, it was exciting to see, although being a bit older, I'm not sure if I can do all day music fests anymore. Heck, I'm old enough to say that I saw Nirvana at that amphitheater, before most of the attendees were born. Jeez do I sound old!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,826,709 times
From the perspective of the City of Miami and its residents, I would imagine it is certainly preferable than say Urban Week. Crowd can be annoying, but it's not as if you feel unsafe or bothered while walking around. Yes, there are drgs and underage drinking, but it provides a totally different atmosphere vs. urban week and other events. I imagine it brings quite a nice sum of change to the city and its occupents. I was down for 8 or 9 days...while I didn't step foot at ultra, I was down b/c it was music week, spending money in the area. For an area largely dependent on tourism, it seems like good value for the money you make vs. problems caused.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:33 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,927,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
If those companies don't make money than those hotel maids, clerks, waiters, bartenders don't have jobs. How about people who own resturants? How about cab drivers?
Tell me if you're a business owner and I'm wrong about this, but I doubt many businesses hire extra people JUST for Ultra weekend. It's more likely they call in the existing employees to work more hours. Sure, it's a boost to their incomes for the event, but this is a tiny amount of money in the scheme of things. Events like Ultra can give a momentary boost, but they can't really drive business, because to support your employees' pay, what you really need is steady business, repeat customers, not just a big crowd for a weekend or two.

Let's be real: I seriously doubt the local restaurant owners, cabbies, and the guy selling water actually see the "upwards of $79M" that Miami Herald reported is "pumped" in to South Florida. Most of that money is going to the big corporate interests outside of the local area. Say the Hotel Intercontinental is able to charge $400/night instead of $200, promoters will claim that $400 went into the local economy, but in fact it's only $200 "extra," and most of that "Extra" $200 is going to IHG headquarters, though the housekeepers and servers may see a few bucks more in tips and get to work a few extra hours. Still, you're talking a few Starbucks latte's here, not the real money.

I will say, however, that big events bring more national and international attention to Miami, which means more tourism in general year-round. I just don't think the mega-event weekend itself contributes nearly as much to the LOCAL economy as promoters would claim.

Quote:
How about the extra money from hotel taxes and sales taxes?
Probably squandered by politicians without much positive impact on the overall economy, and at any rate it's a small fraction of total annual revenue. Don't forget that the event also COSTS taxpayers in the form of extra policing and traffic management, and clean-up and rehabilitation of the grounds, as well as lost time and business due to congestion.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,979,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Tell me if you're a business owner and I'm wrong about this, but I doubt many businesses hire extra people JUST for Ultra weekend. It's more likely they call in the existing employees to work more hours. Sure, it's a boost to their incomes for the event, but this is a tiny amount of money in the scheme of things. Events like Ultra can give a momentary boost, but they can't really drive business, because to support your employees' pay, what you really need is steady business, repeat customers, not just a big crowd for a weekend or two.

Let's be real: I seriously doubt the local restaurant owners, cabbies, and the guy selling water actually see the "upwards of $79M" that Miami Herald reported is "pumped" in to South Florida. Most of that money is going to the big corporate interests outside of the local area. Say the Hotel Intercontinental is able to charge $400/night instead of $200, promoters will claim that $400 went into the local economy, but in fact it's only $200 "extra," and most of that "Extra" $200 is going to IHG headquarters, though the housekeepers and servers may see a few bucks more in tips and get to work a few extra hours. Still, you're talking a few Starbucks latte's here, not the real money.

I will say, however, that big events bring more national and international attention to Miami, which means more tourism in general year-round. I just don't think the mega-event weekend itself contributes nearly as much to the LOCAL economy as promoters would claim.

Probably squandered by politicians without much positive impact on the overall economy, and at any rate it's a small fraction of total annual revenue. Don't forget that the event also COSTS taxpayers in the form of extra policing and traffic management, and clean-up and rehabilitation of the grounds, as well as lost time and business due to congestion.
I do own a start up business but it has nothing to do with this type of industry. I agree the money goes to corporations. Not all of them are huge national companies.

Anyway my point is that events like these make Miami a good place for hotel chains to hire people, make it a good place to have a cab company or tour bus company etc.. It is not just one event but a bunch of events together which make Miami a good spot for some businesses. Ultra only helps. Money whether through taxes or extra pay for workers to dollars going to cab drivers and bartenders does come in more from ultra than it would if there was no ultra there is no way to argue that point. Is it an actual $79,000,000? Probably not. But it is something and Ultra is only becoming more and more popular especially in the international community which is always a good thing.

Look at a place like Louisville. Hotels there can charge $500 a night for a 2 star room during Kentucky Derby weekend. A sherton 3-4 star two bed room goes at over $1,000 a night. How many people do you think stay at these hotels besides for big race weekends which is a few a year? Not too many. Big events give these places the extra revenue they want and need to be in business and stay in business which means jobs for the people in the area.

I agree its stupid to think $79,000,000 in cash goes to the people of Miami but part of that does and even the cash that does not it helps businesses stay in Miami whether the money is going to Delaware or China they still have people being paid and working in Miami.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,969,345 times
I came down there with my wife for ultra weekend 2 from Chicago. We mainly drank the entire time, but yes there is drug use. But where isnt there drug use? A lot of the younger edm fans, think its cool to take drugs and go there, but from a more mature point of view is is quite a taboo. Anyways, I ran into people from England, Australia, Brazil, Mexico and every other part of the USA. I was using the restroom by the Miami heat stadium and heard some guys in their 40's explaining how "ultra" is a freak music show and how much they disliked it cause it was causing a problem for them going to the heat game. I actually cut into their conversation and explained that every hotel was booked in a 5 miles radius and that every restaurant , bar, club, and so on was packed all week. What about all the alcohol sales at the festival? food sales? liquor license? With people spending money non stop from morning til night. Not to mention all the liquor tax revenue that the city uses to pay its police fire and so on. The man looked at me and said I have to go to the bathroom now, and had no response for me. Bet he felt dumb. Anyways, Ultra was great, Miami was awesome! thats what keeps me coming back every year! You people got to be crazy if you dont think that the economy doesnt get a boost from it. Ive been to miami to certain/same restaurants bars etc during a different time of year other than ultra and they were not busy at all. Actually they were dead....

Old 03-28-2013, 10:38 AM

745 posts, read 1,578,449 times
It's amazing and anyone who thinks differently is a loser really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami