Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
Hey FlyMIA, thanks for the support. And yes, that issue only happens with the map maker (when you're editing it, or taking a look at it while logged in the Google system. For all other people (besides the creator) it appears normally, with all the areas at once.

I did the update on the Baypoint area, definitely agreed. And Miami Lakes is the normal standard green. Hialeah I made a few changes, but I still left only a few specific areas in the orange - I worked in all of Hialeah for a while, as a salesman. The number of people doing criminal stuff (that includes things people don't see on the street) was mind blogging - mostly in the industrial areas, I've even helped with P.D. to try to put some of them in jail.

Downtown and Midtown I mostly did the changes you said, take a look and see if it's correct now.
I agree, Hialeah is the Medicare fraud capital of the country. So you have a point there. I think you did a good job with the Hialeah ranking. Will take a look later and check out the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 07:41 PM

313 posts, read 647,202 times
These are almost impossible to do perfect, but I think you've done an excellent job. I can argue all day about different shades of certain areas but I don't see anything too off....yet!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 PM

984 posts, read 4,315,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Um. Maybe you forgot to hit save or misunderstood what I was talking about

"Midtown (Central Section)" with the exception of around the Midtown Miami development should be recoded as yellow, as should a great deal of "Midtown (East)/Edgewater" (I would leave "Wynwood (SW End)" and "Overtown/Most of Culmer" alone.

Basically start at the MacArthur, and mark everything west of NE 2nd Ave and south of NE 31st Street (with the exception of the two I believe can stay as orange and red) as yellow. East of NE 2nd Ave (and west of Biscayne Bay) should really be blue up to the JTC.

The Midtown development could be light green (NE 32nd street north to the JTC (really should be NE 36th street but the JTC will do) east of N Miami Ave and west of Biscayne.
Now I do understand what you're on about You're definitely right. I made the changes, besides two minor observations: I used actually NE 29th St as a border on the Midtown development, as it has about two empty fields which may become nice bldgs. or somethin'; and the east end of Midtown (Edgewater mostly) I changed to light green (the 1st one above blue), as it's a up and coming area, has a large number of nice bldgs. and it's well located, so I think it deserves a little more than the blue.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
don't agree with most of your ratings of Homestead
I'm changing a few things there as I write this. I will look into the area further and talk with a friend that lives there. And please specify, with more details and what you think should be done, so I can make the changes there properly; I'd be very thankful.

And everybody else, real thanks for the support and input here!

Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM

367 posts, read 940,877 times
Quote:
I've made - remembering Crisp444 properly useful map - a new map with updates/adjustments covering all neighborhoods and Cities within Miami-Dade County rated by general quality of life/desirability.

The link to it is at the end on this opening post. This should be useful to a great number of people relocating or thinking of relocating to Miami-Dade.

Notes: Input/comments to make further updates soon on the map are very appreciated. It's a Beta project.

Additionally, if you can't see all the areas in the map at the same time on the link at the end of the post, just Copy (right click on the link and Copy) and Paste the following link on the Google Maps Search and click on Search (or click Enter - both ways work): https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...237cd0fd254811 (Only click on this link itself if you wish to download the map in KML format, this way you can also see it on Google Earth) Otherwise, you can just go through the pages and see the neighborhoods page by page, by clicking Previous and Next down in the Map Description.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...237cd0fd254811

Lake Lucerne is NOT safer than Western Carol City! Yet you made it yellow and all of western CC, red, even 57th ave?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdread View Post
Lake Lucerne is NOT safer than Western Carol City! Yet you made it yellow and all of western CC, red, even 57th ave?
Just modified somewhat the area based on what you said; if there's further changes to be made, please tell what you think I should do.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,956 times
Quote:
Now I do understand what you're on about You're definitely right. I made the changes, besides two minor observations: I used actually NE 29th St as a border on the Midtown development, as it has about two empty fields which may become nice bldgs. or somethin'; and the east end of Midtown (Edgewater mostly) I changed to light green (the 1st one above blue), as it's a up and coming area, has a large number of nice bldgs. and it's well located, so I think it deserves a little more than the blue.
Looks better

I think part of the problem is that you really can't say an area is nice yet if something isn't built there and it's just something like an empty lot. Unless construction has started it's just hope, not reality.

But we'll have to agree to disagree on the light green/blue. While the area is getting better, it still has a long ways to go. The area by the Grand, Opera Tower, Hilton, Publix, Omni etc. could possibly be light green, but the rest of the area is solidly reasonable and has some decent aspects, but in no way is it above average. The cannibal attack was right there not even a year ago.

Also, "Downtown (East Side and Brickell Border)" should be light green (possibly blue) as there are still a lot of unsavory characters out and about, especially at night. Some guy tried selling me drugs right by Freedom Tower not too long ago and there's still homeless throughout the area, although not as bad as it was just a few years ago.

"Brickell - Metrorail Area" should probably be redrawn. Mary Brickell Village and the Brickell CityCentre site are way underrated if "Brickell- East End" is dark green.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM

Coconut1, I basically think the same way actually, but I can't let my personal bias/thoughts stray much into the map.

I gotta go with facts, statistics, the community's consensus, and general opinions also; try to make it as good as it can be - later take it out of being classified as a Beta project - and possibly making this into a Sticky Thread (as it can help a lot of people coming/considering coming here). Remembering though that perfection is impossible - as obviously each people's feelings about certain areas may differ quite a bit.

I mostly did the changes about Brickell you told about, thanks, and also enlarged the light green area of Downtown, but retained the more eastern/southern areas as normal/standard green.

Last edited by JacobMAX; 03-28-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 03:25 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,666 times
First of all, congratulations on a very good effort, and thanks for extending Crisp444's very useful map.

I have a couple of suggestions after a quick review:

(1) I think you need to change the color for the south of fifth section in south beach to all one shade, e.g. dark green. Currently you have the section between 2 street and 5 street a lighter shade. There is no reason for this in my view. That section is certainly better than the West Ave corridor, which you have in a dark green.

(2) The use of blue color to denote a mid-range area is misleading. At first glance it looks purple, or a very dark shade of red. Perhaps a pale yellow or orange, or lime green might be better choices?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the input r_k! Did the (1) change as you said, I can agree to that, definitely. The (2) issue is more complex, I've had a hard time at first choosing what color would be the average - the mid-range; but blue really seems to be the best of them, I considered those other colors you cited as well but it was worse. I was thinking maybe of changing it to a lighter, bright blue (maybe a baby blue?), is it a good idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami