Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:16 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
So you don't think Andrew was a big one?? What rock did you live under? Maybe you didn't live in an area that actually go demolished..
As far as I'm concerned Andrew was "the big one" which was only 1 of 3 hurricanes in the Category 5 status to ever make landfall in the US. Up until Katrina in 2005 hurricane Andrew was the costliest natural disaster in US history. Over 100,000 residents fled Miami in the weeks following the storm and some relocated to SW Broward hence the explosion of Pembroke Pines during the 1990's.
It's ironic this question is being asked since Andrew occurred about roughly 20 years & 6 months ago and as others have said Miami has bounced back from hurricanes time and again. This isn't New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM

313 posts, read 647,294 times
South Dade and Homestead were stagnant boondocks for pretty much an entire decade after Andrew, it wasn't till a couple of years ago that the area really recovered with new businesses and new growth. New Orleans is recovering nicely, there's still ways to go but the city is coming back strong.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,961 times
Well they did. Communications were down so no one really knew no water, no food, no service of any kind, no electricity. After one week some help did appear.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 PM

53 posts, read 93,317 times
You want to trade town leveling tornadoes with next to no notice , if any, for your hurricane concerns? I really do wonder which concern is worse...I know tornadoes suck.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingresearcher View Post
You want to trade town leveling tornadoes with next to no notice , if any, for your hurricane concerns? I really do wonder which concern is worse...I know tornadoes suck.
It is true, just a while back I was reading an article on the NOAA site of new methods to predict the severity of tornadoes. Last week there were some nasty thunderstorms in the area, quite some wind also.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:49 PM

53 posts, read 93,317 times
Might have asked this befiore....i think flymia hit on it a bit once....but how many tornado warnings does miami get per year would you say? And is it true if miami gets a tornado it's usually an F0 or F1? Thanks.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Tornadoes are relatively rare in Miami, the most famous was about 10 years ago downtown. Yes, they are never over F1 and rarely hit anything interesting.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
Well from an insurance standpoint, tornadoes are not going to have nearly as much risk as big hurricanes, though both will destroy your house, and tornadoes have 30 minutes of warming if you're lucky, hurricanes generally have 3-5 days warning. An strong tornado will level most houses, stripping them to the basement. But chances are your neighbors' homes are still in one piece, so the insurance payout for any one tornado outbreak is under control. Now a cat-5 hurricane is going to cause catastrophic damage to an entire section of the city, with lots of moderate damage surrounding this swath. That's a huge payout that insurers have to make all at once. Also, hurricanes can hit more than one city in one shot, especially in Florida. That's why our insurance rates are so much higher--several times the cost per square foot of home--than in tornado alley, despite us having the highest building standards in the country.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Thankfully it is possible to build a tornado and hurricane proof home. I doubt I will get to see my homes tested fully in my lifetime.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,641 times
To be honest because of my grandfather my family is always ready. when he was in Cuba he went through 2 major hurricanes that washed out his brother 2 sea and killed one of his sisters ever sense then his become paranoid about hurricane season and so he makes sure that we have at least 2 weeks worth of food, gas, meds,etc at any given time. he also got our family to install hurricane windows in our houses so we are pretty much set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami