Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 AM

389 posts, read 1,083,949 times

Advertisements

Let us not forget that hurricanes contain within them widespread tornado's at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 09:32 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
^^^Very true, good point.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
South Dade and Homestead were stagnant boondocks for pretty much an entire decade after Andrew, it wasn't till a couple of years ago that the area really recovered with new businesses and new growth. New Orleans is recovering nicely, there's still ways to go but the city is coming back strong.
New Orleans is far from recovering. About 20% of the population never returned. When was the last time you drove through Gentilly or the Lower 9th Ward? A good 30% of the homes still sit as shells. The homeless population is more than 20% higher than it was pre-katrina.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Thankfully it is possible to build a tornado and hurricane proof home.
Possible, but very expensive to do in an attractive way. You'd really want a dome house, either a monolithic dome or one that can sway with the wind.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Possible, but very expensive to do in an attractive way. You'd really want a dome house, either a monolithic dome or one that can sway with the wind.
I did it twice, and have homes that never rot or need re-roofing or painting. You never want any structure to sway as it will weaken it. My homes are flat-roofed mid-century modern style. In my opinion it's more attractive than anything built in the last 40 years.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,518,260 times
First - Andrew was not the 'big one.' You can read Max Mayfield's posts on that. Even saw a nice presentation he made at the Deering Estate last year on that topic. Before I heard him speak, I thought Andrew was the 'big one' too...

Here's my take - when it looks like we are going to get hit Leave and get completely out of the cone. You may need to move the next day to continue to get out of the cone. Personally I have family in areas of the country that couldn't get hit, so I can always send the family there. Just remember that more people die or get hurt in the AFTERMATH than during the storm itself. I move my family out of harms way. (I get to stay because of work) and then when things get back to normal they come back. That could be a day or a month or 2 months as in Andrew's case. Andrew was a little easier as I was just renting and didn't own a house at the time, so I just found another place to rent. I know not everyone has that luxury, the county does have shelters, so use them.

If you think 2013 won't be a year that we could get hit from a major storm I want your crystal ball - and please have it send me the winning lotto numbers. Historically, MAY forecasts for the Atlantic Hurricane season by all of the major hurricane forecasting centers in the world are about as accurate as rolling dice. We don't know how the Bermuda High is going to set up until later and it has been known to move at the last minute and either save or anihilate us.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:47 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
New Orleans is far from recovering. About 20% of the population never returned. When was the last time you drove through Gentilly or the Lower 9th Ward? A good 30% of the homes still sit as shells. The homeless population is more than 20% higher than it was pre-katrina.
It will 10 years before New Orleans looks ok. It took Homestead 5 years to look ok and this was much smaller area than New Orleans and the other states that were hit. It took 10 years for Homestead look normal and 15 years to really not notice the storm came through.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
It will 10 years before New Orleans looks ok. It took Homestead 5 years to look ok and this was much smaller area than New Orleans and the other states that were hit. It took 10 years for Homestead look normal and 15 years to really not notice the storm came through.
I think it's going to take closer to 20 for NOLA--it's just a different mentality there.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
My hurricane predictions have been right for 25 years. Maybe pure luck, but I am not worried. Here in paradise inclement weather is no threat. I have lived in hurricane proof homes for 23 years, and now am not in an evacuation zone. It's really nice to have a new home built by myself and not have to worry about termites, rot, fire, floods and storms. But with my mom still living in dade county, I still have something to lose if I am wrong.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingresearcher View Post
Might have asked this befiore....i think flymia hit on it a bit once....but how many tornado warnings does miami get per year would you say? And is it true if miami gets a tornado it's usually an F0 or F1? Thanks.
I think You will be suprised to find out that Miami-Dade County average's 2-3 tornadoes per year with may and june being the most active months for tornadoes and severe weather in general. but it's true most of miami's tornadoes are F0 (70%) and vertually all are either an F0 or F1(92%) only 8% are F2 and <1% of tornadoes in south florida are F3( F4 and F5 tornadoes are impossible in South Florida). hope that helps you understand our severe weather better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami