Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times

Advertisements

34%? That seems low.... and you say they reached the 40% mark during their heydays? never actually reaching 50%?

I thought Dade was at least 60% Cuban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 05:33 PM

313 posts, read 647,294 times
Yeah both Dade and the city of Miami have just 34%. I'm not sure when their share of the population peaked, I'd assume it was probably at some point in the late 80's or early 90's but I doubt it was ever near 60%.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 PM

12 posts, read 24,070 times
So do you think the best way to find the Cuban culture, the music, dance and art is just to meet people organically rather than to try to live in a place where there are more Cubans?

Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 PM

Thanks Chelito... That's helpful... I guess my main thing is I don't want to be driving a lot just to "seek" out the culture. I'd like to live in an area where there is music, art, dance and some culture around me in walking distance or atleast very close proximity so that i'm not always having to drive across town to connect. I guess I just need to come for another stay and check it out more and explore more. miami is a little intimidating, being so big, so these forums really help to just get an idea of where I should explore more.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:46 PM

I know they are not hard to find.. I found that when I was there also, and I grew up in FL so I know that truth. What I am looking for is a living experience that allows me exposure and interaction on a community based level without having to drive to "events" etc, but to be closer to a real life experience where I can both be of service with my work, and also be able to learn and continue my studies and growth and being around the energy that has become so dear to my heart as a way of living more in community, as family and with the energy that Cuba represents... I don't even know if it really exists in Miami or not.. It might not anymore..

I'm also curious about Tampa. I've heard a lot about Tampa being a good option.. I'm not really a big city girl by heart, more of a down to earth rootsy community lover... anyone know anything about Tampa and the Cuban population there?

Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
Chelito is correct, Cubans are 34% of Miami-Dade County, that's over 800K Cubans! Back in the day they were over 40%.

But if you look at the data, Cubans are most heavily concentrated in Hialeah and the area the Cubans call in spanish the southwest. It's the sw portion of Miami, west of I-95 and us-1. Everything between Flagler and Bird Road all the way past the turnpike. These are the only two regions of the county where Cubans are really the majority, their presence everywhere else varies pretty drastically in some cases, but they are not hard to find...please trust us.
The map is accurate for the most part but I would extend the SW section to at least sunset(72st) includeing all of Olympia and Glenvar Hieghts. here this is my way of figuring out which area is cuban or not(don't accuse me of being racist it works). These r the precent results of the 2008 election for prez if the area is green you know it's cuban(except for the areas in the redlands of Far SW Dade)
http://results.enr.clarityelections.....html?cid=0103

Old 04-17-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLunn View Post
I know they are not hard to find.. I found that when I was there also, and I grew up in FL so I know that truth. What I am looking for is a living experience that allows me exposure and interaction on a community based level without having to drive to "events" etc, but to be closer to a real life experience where I can both be of service with my work, and also be able to learn and continue my studies and growth and being around the energy that has become so dear to my heart as a way of living more in community, as family and with the energy that Cuba represents... I don't even know if it really exists in Miami or not.. It might not anymore..

I'm also curious about Tampa. I've heard a lot about Tampa being a good option.. I'm not really a big city girl by heart, more of a down to earth rootsy community lover... anyone know anything about Tampa and the Cuban population there?
it hardly exists in Tampa total Hispanic population is less than 10%, here in Miami-Dade it's 65%...

Old 04-18-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
The map is accurate for the most part but I would extend the SW section to at least sunset(72st) includeing all of Olympia and Glenvar Hieghts. here this is my way of figuring out which area is cuban or not(don't accuse me of being racist it works). These r the precent results of the 2008 election for prez if the area is green you know it's cuban(except for the areas in the redlands of Far SW Dade)
Dade - Election Results
I had limited my "Cuban" areas to locales with unusually high percentages of Cubans. Hialeah and the SW have 60-80% across the board exclusively. Looking back at the data, I should've included Olympia Heights but anything south of Miller Dr is a lot more diverse and a lot less Cuban.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLunn View Post

I'm really not sure if you'll be able to find what you're looking for. You can easily move to any of the areas we've specified and described for you. You'll live with them and you'll be fully able to enjoy their music, food and culture. Other than the rich culture they maintain with them, they won't be the same thing you probably saw on the island. These are people working hard and living quiet suburban lives in their own home for the most part. They are a large and spread out community.

Calle Ocho (SW 8th St) is still a hub of Cuban culture, so my advice would be to stick to that area within the city limits. Driving is inevitable in Miami, but you'll be close to all the activity. They have street festivals, restaurants, cigar shops, nightclubs and a theater.

You might also be interested with the both Cuban research institutes at the University of Miami and Florida International University.

FIU Cuban Research Institute

Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies

Old 04-18-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclealbertt View Post
I had limited my "Cuban" areas to locales with unusually high percentages of Cubans. Hialeah and the SW have 60-80% across the board exclusively. Looking back at the data, I should've included Olympia Heights but anything south of Miller Dr is a lot more diverse and a lot less Cuban.
true miller is a good stopping point but when u stopped at bird u cut me out of the map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami