Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:51 AM

6 posts, read 4,639 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a potential job opportunity in north Miami (near Oleta), but as an educational professional, cost of living is looking to be a challenge. I currently have a nice place in an awesome neighborhood in Denver and am worried about what kind of area I can afford in Miami. For a 30+, single, professional woman interested in walkability, safety, culture, the ocean, etc., where would be a good place to look? With student loan payments, 50k a year doesn't seem to offer many options for fun living in this city, but I know some folks must make it work. Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 AM

I've been looking at the Design District, Sunny Isles, Morningside, and even South Beach...

Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 AM

318 posts, read 624,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scokco View Post
Hi all,

I have a potential job opportunity in north Miami (near Oleta), but as an educational professional, cost of living is looking to be a challenge. I currently have a nice place in an awesome neighborhood in Denver and am worried about what kind of area I can afford in Miami. For a 30+, single, professional woman interested in walkability, safety, culture, the ocean, etc., where would be a good place to look? With student loan payments, 50k a year doesn't seem to offer many options for fun living in this city, but I know some folks must make it work. Suggestions?
Walk-ability is an alien concept in South Florida.

You need a car, or you will not survive.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:47 AM

529 posts, read 1,144,741 times
I've survived all my years here without a car. You guys just need to lower your standard of living. 50,000 for a single person is more than enough IMO. You just have to be smart.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:36 PM

No worries, I have a car. It's just nice to live in a neighborhood where you can walk to some local cafes and bars--a place with a little character (and sidewalks). Thanks!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_zed View Post
I've survived all my years here without a car. You guys just need to lower your standard of living. 50,000 for a single person is more than enough IMO. You just have to be smart.
yep no wasteful or frivolous spending.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:54 PM

984 posts, read 4,314,480 times
Well, 50k is enough generally for a single person, even in Miami. But with loan payments, you gonna have to go somewhat frugal, but it's fine. Also as the job would be in North Miami-Dade, you could consider living in Broward (Hollywood Beach for example - it's walkable, not expensive, and nice and safe) for cheaper rentals. Here in Miami-Dade, maybe Midtown/Edgewater, Bay Harbor Islands - which is conveniently located (to your job, and overall as well), even Miami Shores or neighboring Biscayne Shores (just to its northeast). Note that the two latter areas aren't walkable - you'd have to use the car a lot.

Also if you could give us a rental/housing budget would be very useful to lead you to specific neighborhoods in your case that would be within budget.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
Well, 50k is enough generally for a single person, even in Miami. But with loan payments, you gonna have to go somewhat frugal, but it's fine. Also as the job would be in North Miami-Dade, you could consider living in Broward (Hollywood Beach for example - it's walkable, not expensive, and nice and safe) for cheaper rentals. Here in Miami-Dade, maybe Midtown/Edgewater, Bay Harbor Islands - which is conveniently located (to your job, and overall as well), even Miami Shores or neighboring Biscayne Shores (just to its northeast). Note that the two latter areas aren't walkable - you'd have to use the car a lot.

Also if you could give us a rental/housing budget would be very useful to lead you to specific neighborhoods in your case that would be within budget.
I'm glad you know what your talking about because i'm absolutely useless when it comes to NE Dade.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 PM

Awesome advice! I hadn't thought about looking at Hollywood. Will do.

I'm thinking around $900/month for rent--$1000 max. Prefer at least one bedroom. What do you guys think about the Design District? Thank you...

Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 PM

984 posts, read 4,314,480 times
That's a kind of tough budget for regular sized 1bd/1ba, but probably doable. And okay for a studio.

About Hollywood, I'd suggest the area around (and preferably east of) the Young's Circle for something within budget, which is reasonable, walkable, mostly safe, but it does have some homeless/panhandling issues and a few prostitution/sex offenses problems as well. Or Hollywood Beach like I said, but it will be difficult in that budget, maybe a studio or a small 1bd/1ba for about $1,000-$1,050 possibly. Plus Hallandale Beach which is just to its south. You may be able to find something east/near the US-1 or in the Golden Isles area.

About the Design District, it's mostly an up and coming area, decent enough and mostly walkable - but it does have a relatively high crime rate, mainly in its west end and bordering Wynwood. Something near NE 2nd Ave in its east end would be something I'd recommend in that budget. Another area I forgot to mention is the Eastern Shores section of North Miami Beach; quite nice, plus there's a few shops, a Winn-Dixie and a few restaurants within walking distance. But I don't know if it's within budget, possibly is. I've had an acquaintance who lived there and liked the neighborhood a lot, paid something like $1,300 at the time for a 2bd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami