Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:36 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times

Advertisements

Doral-Weston commute could actually be easier than the Pinecrest commute during peak times because local and highway traffic is minimal. With no accidents, it typically would be as short as 30 minutes if working right by 106th street and the turnpike, but as long as an hour if the office were at some place like 36th street and 87th Ave. The commute from Pinecrest would be better if the office is closer to the Palmetto, while the commute from Weston would be better if it was closer to the turnpike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 12:44 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyork47 View Post
I will be selling my home up in NY suburbs, so I will have a budget of 800-900K. NOTE: all my info is coming from the internet and real estate sites. I hear there has been a big migration of English speaking families to the northern suburbs. I was thinking about private schools because I heard the public schools in SouFl are questionable. Weston does seem cookie cutter but the homes seemed cheaper and the communities appear more family oriented and safe. Pinecrest seems to have more diverse architecture. Seems closer to Doral (where the job is at) But does Pinecrest or the surrounding neighborhoods have a family-community environment? Moving down to Fla will be a big change for my family and I want them to be able to fit into the community. While some may think it is cookie cutter, Weston seems to be family oriented. Does Pinecrest have that vibe where neighbors know each other? Would be nice to have a commute under 45 minutes though I heard traffic is a nightmare.
You're correct that a lot of public schools down here are questionable, but Pinecrest is zoned to a good system.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:46 PM

984 posts, read 4,314,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Doral-Weston commute could actually be easier than the Pinecrest commute during peak times because local and highway traffic is minimal. With no accidents, it typically would be as short as 30 minutes if working right by 106th street and the turnpike, but as long as an hour if the office were at some place like 36th street and 87th Ave. The commute from Pinecrest would be better if the office is closer to the Palmetto, while the commute from Weston would be better if it was closer to the turnpike.
Yeah, that's actually a good point - taking the Tpke. Also there's the stress factor - driving on the Tpke. on that stretch from Doral to Miramar is a doddle. But there'll probably be bottlenecks near the I-75, and on the I-75 itself near the Miramar Blvd and Pines Blvd exits. But to Pinecrest is fine too, even if it's near the Tpke., in the Palmetto there'll be (dreadful) bottlenecks near/after the Dolphin and also near the Don Shula, after that it's a breeze.

And something else I should say, the OP should think which would be the major priorities and which would be the minor - after reviewing the neighborhoods people talked about here, see what's best taking the main priorities into account. That can help a lot avoiding a possibly regretful decision.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:05 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times
Anyone have $$$ figures as to the HOA fees in Weston? Something to take into consideration as well. BTW, I think Weston is a very nice cookie cutter neighborhood too. But it still doesn't hold a candle to Pinecrest to me if money wasn't an issue, which unfortunately it is and that's why I live in West Kendall.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:09 PM

318 posts, read 624,656 times
Weston and Doral have the same demographics, both are called Doralzuela and Westonzuela.

Doral is a better option, it is closer to your work location.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:23 PM

229 posts, read 533,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
Weston and Doral have the same demographics, both are called Doralzuela and Westonzuela.

Doral is a better option, it is closer to your work location.
Uh, where do you get your info from? Both have tons of Venezuelans, but Weston has a large white population wheras Doral does not. Weston is around 45% Hispanic while Doral is 79.5% Hispanic... Both are good, but a white person that is not Hispanic might feel out of place in Doral compared to Weston.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Anyone have $$$ figures as to the HOA fees in Weston? Something to take into consideration as well. BTW, I think Weston is a very nice cookie cutter neighborhood too. But it still doesn't hold a candle to Pinecrest to me if money wasn't an issue, which unfortunately it is and that's why I live in West Kendall.
It depends on the neighborhood. Usually the larger the development, the smaller the HOA fees.

I used to live in Savanna, which is probably the largest development. The HOA fees were (and still are) $320 per Quarter.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:14 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,823,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCounty View Post
Uh, where do you get your info from? Both have tons of Venezuelans, but Weston has a large white population wheras Doral does not. Weston is around 45% Hispanic while Doral is 79.5% Hispanic... Both are good, but a white person that is not Hispanic might feel out of place in Doral compared to Weston.
FWIW I have seen Spanish flight from Pembroke Pines and Miramar to Weston. They told me it was becoming too Spanish for them over in PPines and Miramar

Old 05-05-2013, 06:52 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Pine Crest School - Fort Lauderdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyork47 View Post
I will be selling my home up in NY suburbs, so I will have a budget of 800-900K. NOTE: all my info is coming from the internet and real estate sites. I hear there has been a big migration of English speaking families to the northern suburbs. I was thinking about private schools because I heard the public schools in SouFl are questionable. Weston does seem cookie cutter but the homes seemed cheaper and the communities appear more family oriented and safe. Pinecrest seems to have more diverse architecture. Seems closer to Doral (where the job is at) But does Pinecrest or the surrounding neighborhoods have a family-community environment? Moving down to Fla will be a big change for my family and I want them to be able to fit into the community. While some may think it is cookie cutter, Weston seems to be family oriented. Does Pinecrest have that vibe where neighbors know each other? Would be nice to have a commute under 45 minutes though I heard traffic is a nightmare.
Check out Coral Ridge in Fort Lauderdale. Lot of families. Close to Pine Crest School - also check out Sea Ranch Lakes (gated) and The Landings (Fort Lauderdale) - all of these are close to Pine Crest School and your children will have friends nearby.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:12 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Most gated communities are built that way not for safety., but to get around minimum lot sizes and setbacks. By avoiding public roads, developers can really cram in the homes on the land they paid way too much for. The kind of thinking was rejected in decades past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami