Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 39,042 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I am interested in purchasing a house.

I currently live at home with my parents and have been saving for some time , I am now 24 and have saved about 8k. I have a gf and we dont plan on moving in together right now, but i want to purchase a home for the future most importantly before prices get higher. My plan is to maybe rent it out till i decide to move into it (in 2 years or so).

I have been reading about government assistance in florida and i see alot of programs for first time home buyers.. i see local programs from the city (hap) and county, and also from the state of florida (first time home buyer program). These consist in helping with the closing costs and down payment. I am in the process of contacting a real state agent and broker to begin the pre-approval process and my question is:

how long does it usually take for someone to get approved, for state or local assistance, if you fall within all of the guidelines (income limits etc). From what ive read its usually on a first come basis, but is it worth it?

btw i am looking for something within the 130-150k range within the north miami beach, miramar, pembroke area.

Thanks, james
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,956,509 times
I reccomend you keep saving if you need assistance to buy a home. Do you have a job that can pay for it if you can't rent it out or get a price which is lower than what you need?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:52 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,699,693 times
Do more research. All the programs you have interest in are for first time buyers who are owner occupants.

What you want to do is to be an investor. You won't qualify. You have to actually live in the home to qualify for the program. So just plan on living in the house. if you rent it out you're an investor and yes they do check up.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,781,602 times
It won't hurt to get pre-approved, at least you will know how much you can afford.

Besides, you have to get pre-approved anyway.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,916,764 times
Don't know about Miramar and the Pines, but as far as NMB you'd be looking at the crappy parts of town in that price range. Which means it's likely you won't get the best tenants. If I were you, I'd buy a home to live in before considering being a landlord, there are so many things that can go wrong!!! Besides, you're going to be limited to a FHA 3.5% down which requires you to live in the house (and you'd still be asking for a seller concession for closing costs and escrow...prepaid insurance and taxes are already a few $k in addition to down payment).

The Government programs for first time homebuyers generally have an income cap, which if you're under that cap, you probably should not be buying a home in the first place...especially when you account for our property taxes and insurance situation.

As far as condos, which are cheaper than houses, a realtor tells me most banks are not comfortable with HOAs over ~$200-300, and besides most condos are not FHA approved, which basically excludes all condos...

As suggested by ruski, contact a local mortgage broker and they will point you in the right direction. With most of them you can fill out a form and they contact you.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:49 PM

48 posts, read 179,065 times
Other people here are right that you need to buy a house that you are going to live in, not rent, as a condition of the loan. You also have to be able to afford the monthly payment on the house in order to qualify. You can still rent out rooms, etc I'm sure. I'm going through the process of buying a home now, and I do know you can buy a home with only 3% down, but the closing costs are around 8-10K. It's definitely worth it to speak with a real estate agent and lender to see if this is something that would work for you.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:50 PM

22,192 posts, read 29,169,063 times
You need to save more money

Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,409,574 times
save a little bit more money down the road get it to like 15k to 20k. Be patient. When buying a place you gotta time it right with more money in your hands you have more options

Old 05-11-2013, 06:43 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,378,347 times
I agree keep saving, you want to put 20% down when you buy something.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:47 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,658,813 times
Wait till the latest Fed pumped bubble bursts before even considering buying a house. Their balance sheet is 3.3 trillion and if they stop printing money the Miami bubble will resume deflating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami