Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,864 times

Advertisements

Wow thanks for all the suggestions lots of option for the two trees I want to plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 02:42 PM

32 posts, read 34,481 times
Just don't plant palms. We have more than enough palms already, and I can't understand why people are so obsessed with them when they provide so little shade in a place where shade is such a wonderful thing.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:55 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,823,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Just don't plant palms. We have more than enough palms already, and I can't understand why people are so obsessed with them when they provide so little shade in a place where shade is such a wonderful thing.
Most palm trees require less work than trees and are more hurricane resistant. I still agree with you that trees are better. They provide shade, help reduce electricity costs, provide food and shelter for wildlife, increase the value of homes, provide better air quality and some provide flowers.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
I believe also that it sets Miami apart from other cities with having a prodigious and diverse amount of palms as it it makes it way different for tourist visiting Miami to see attractive trees as the Coconut and Royal Palms just to name a couple.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 AM

32 posts, read 34,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I believe also that it sets Miami apart from other cities with having a prodigious and diverse amount of palms as it it makes it way different for tourist visiting Miami to see attractive trees as the Coconut and Royal Palms just to name a couple.
I guess "attractive" is a matter of opinion.

I find trees from the oak family to be far more attractive. I know they can't grow here, but maple trees are FAR more beautiful than palm trees. I'm always in awe of how lovely trees are up north, and don't miss the palms one bit when I'm traveling.

Not saying get rid of the palms, just stop focusing on them. There's lots of other attractive tree species that provide much more shade.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:48 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
I think the reason many people don't plant tress is because of the root structure and hurricanes, no one wants a tree toppling over on their house. Most trees in Miami have shallow roots and so the roots only go down a foot or two because they hit coral rock which the roots can not penetrate. And when the roots can't penetrate, the stability of the tree during a hurricane comes into play. Hence why large trees in Miami have to be thinned out yearly to allow the wind to pass through. Otherwise we'll see those large trees toppled over on the news like we do after some storms.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
I think Palms are the most beautiful kinds of trees. I love them.

OP, try Plumeria. It's a lovely, tropical flower found all over Hawaii and the Caribbean. Some grow in SoCal here and they smell amazing!

Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
I guess "attractive" is a matter of opinion.

I find trees from the oak family to be far more attractive. I know they can't grow here, but maple trees are FAR more beautiful than palm trees. I'm always in awe of how lovely trees are up north, and don't miss the palms one bit when I'm traveling.

Not saying get rid of the palms, just stop focusing on them. There's lots of other attractive tree species that provide much more shade.
The point I am making is this is something different, northerners can see all the Maple trees they want but no palm trees are seen up north(or very few) until you come to South Florida in its magnitude. Believe me I am from Jacksonville and love Miami for its diversity in palm trees, yea they don't provide shade but are pretty in their own way, the novelty wears off down here living with them day in and day out.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:10 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
I don't mind palm tres at all. I just prefer a mix. The one thing I do hate is the universalization of the palmetto palm. I don't care that it's a native, it is way overused and no where near as attractive as 95% of the other growable palms in SoFla.

Old 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I don't mind palm tres at all. I just prefer a mix. The one thing I do hate is the universalization of the palmetto palm. I don't care that it's a native, it is way overused and no where near as attractive as 95% of the other growable palms in SoFla.
I agree with you there, only if they are in a cluster are they anywhere near presentable, stand alone they are drab and somewhat ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami