U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 AM

15 posts, read 42,841 times

Advertisements

Ok so I know what you're thinking.. Who in their right mind would want the sun shining in through the windows and into the living room all day long in a place as hot as miami?! Well I guess I'm out of my mind because I really want sunlight as I'm inside a lot. I'm not worried about the AC bill. What's the best direction to be facing? In l.a I have lived facing both east and west. I loved east for the sun in the morning till the afternoon but after that it got depressingly gloomy. Now I live in a house facing west and although we don't get the morning sun through our windows we have the afternoon sun and a beautiful sunset. Of course in l.a when you're facing west you get the ocean view. Miami is the opposite of course. Which direction is more desirable in miami? South east? Also is it considered nicer to face the ocean/beach than the bay?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 02:17 AM

2,888 posts, read 5,077,346 times
You must be referring to a condo on the water because if your are inland you won't be seeing the ocean or bay regardless of where you are facing. Aside from the view the westerly exposure would receive the most sunlight.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:27 AM

64 posts, read 172,258 times
Since Miami is north of the equator, I'd say to face south.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 AM

6,853 posts, read 20,653,427 times
Oceanside or Bayside, it truly is a preference. Your house will be hotter bayside, bayside also gets the sunsets and less wind. Bayside you have the view of the city lights. Oceanside gets beautiful sunrises, condo is cooler because you don't get the afternoon sun, oceanside gets lots of wind (some days you won't want to be on your balcony its so windy).

Which way to face is based on a few things. Here in Miami the sun in the summer sits on northside of ones house and moves to the south side of ones house in the winter. That's why people plant their vegetable gardens in South Florida on the Southside of their house, where we get more sun in the winter.

If you want the benefits of a breeze going through your house, then you want a house that the front of the house faces east or west. The hottest part of the day in South Florida is in the afternoon. So the hottest part of ones house will be the west side of the house typically. During the winter months the Southside of your house will be the warmest part.

So the OP is living in a house that is facing the right direction, its the architecture and landscaping that plays a huge roll in how much sunlight one gets into their house.

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-14-2013 at 10:29 AM..

Old 05-13-2013, 10:33 AM

9,324 posts, read 24,722,065 times
I built my home with windows shaded with steel screen grates. My lab has windows all around. The heat was so intense that I surrounded both with landscaping to block the sun. Unless you have a high powered air conditioner you will find that sunlight is your enemy. The infrared rays penetrate glass easily from the sun but are hard to leave your inside surfaces. It is far cheaper to have electric light than sunlight if you use air conditioning. Now in my old home the roof was a patio so if I wanted to see a sunset, that was easy.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:37 PM

15 posts, read 42,841 times
Thanks for all your helpful replies guys. It's 110 here in L.A today, and the sun is setting. Plenty of sunlight in my living room (happy feel!), but the AC is running full blast. I'm leaning towards south-east for the miami condo but I'm gonna rent at a few different places until I decide what works best for me.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:48 AM
r_k

836 posts, read 1,977,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
... Here in Miami the sun in the summer sits on northside of ones house and moves to the south side of ones house in the winter.
That's only true of places in the tropics. Miami, being a couple of degrees north of the Tropic of Cancer, always has sun to the south (at or near noon).

Old 05-14-2013, 11:18 PM

2,953 posts, read 9,262,874 times
Doggiebus has a good point. The sun, while not technically north of our lattitude at miday, even in summer, seems to be for all intents and purposes. It rises in the NE and shines in at that time of year in north facing windws. At miday, with the sun overhead, all Windows get plenty of light, even if not directly bleeding in. In the late afternoon the sun sets in the NW, shining direct light into north facing windows in the evening as well.

In South Florida, moreso than a direction you want to situate your home, make sure it doesn't have awnings or evergreen plantings that wil cast shadows and reduce light, since this is what you desire. A north facing window might be sad or cold in the north, or even the south...but here, it really doesn't make a difference. Most people here make a decision based on the view out of the Windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: