Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:16 AM

9 posts, read 13,042 times

Advertisements

I know this questions has been posted before and I have read through hundreds of them to get a better idea....I am hoping for some clarification. I keep hearing how all of Miami-Dade is a trash heap, don't move here unless you can afford Key Biscayne, etc. HOWEVER, my husband's family business is thriving in the Miami area (locations in Coconut Grove, Sunny Isles Beach, and Miami) and his family have offered him a job there. We are set on moving - so don't try to convince me to move to Jax or Seaside. Although, if he got a job in Seaside/Destin/Seagrove I would move there in a heartbeat. We are looking at this as a fun family adventure, and plan on taking full advantage of all of the fantastic family activities there are in the SE FL area. Anyhow, here is what we are looking for specifically and my biggest concern is SAFETY. We have 5 children and we are accustomed to letting them play in the backyard (fenced) ride bikes in the street, and play in the park or walk to a friends house. I understand that there is no "safe" place near Miami. But, I refuse to believe that there are NO neighborhoods that are relatively safe. Meaning: petty crimes can occur, but are the exception. I have looked up crime statistics by city, and I have found that Miami is actually lower in crime than Atlanta and we have family there that we visit often. They have never been the victims of crime, even living in the city. So, here we go:

Must Haves:

1.) Safety - again relatively safe. Play in backyard, I like to run, bike riding, etc. We use common sense and are aware of our surroundings. We also plan on getting an alarm system and have a weapon for protection.
2.) Commute - my husband would like to have no more than a 45 minute commute to these areas where he will be working : Coconut Grove, Sunny Isles Beach, and Miami Springs.
3.) Near a safe park - we currently live walking distance to a beautiful park with trails and a greenway and would love to continue to do so. We are an active family who enjoys being outdoors, even in muggy hot buggy weather!

Wants:
1.) Near a great homeschool co-op or hybrid homeschool program. Any homeschoolers chime in here?? I have had a difficult time finding anything on the web. Our kids are currently enrolled in an umbrella program at a private classical school where they attend a one day a week tutorial. Would love to be close to something like this.
2.) Walkable - would be great also if the neighborhood had non big box/commercial restaurants and shops within walking distance.
3.) Near the beach - this is of course, a dream. Probably not possible - but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Our budget is going to be $1800-$2000 for renting (will probably rent the first 6 months we are here while looking) and $250-$300k for buying. We do not need a huge house - 2500 sq ft is more than enough. We keep our material possessions to a minimum and use our money for traveling and having fun!

We live in Nashville, and have lived in the rougher areas but those don't even compare. The area we were in was an artsy, eclectic, transitional area with a lot of great restaurants, older homes, and terrible schools. There were projects, but they pale in comparison to Miami. There was crime, but it was pretty low considering. Schools are not an issue because we home school, although being close to a great co-op or hybrid home school program would be fantastic!

It would be really helpful if you could mention actual subdivision names, so I can search within them. Also, if you know of any new home builders with subdivisions that would be great too. So far I have only found Lennar.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
2500 sq are mansions here, this ain't Texas. We have very limited space be ause we have the Everglades to the West and the Coast(or Bay) to the East

You need to up your budget or decrease your requirements. A house like you describe is gonna be at least $3,000

Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 PM

10 posts, read 13,509 times
Minimum $3000 a month in rent in Maimi unless you go into the ghetto and you don't want to do that.

Which location exactly is your husband working at? Or will he be rotating between all three? Because those three are far apart from each other.

BTW 2500sq ft are NOT mansions...Those are actually common sq footage.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:51 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLviaTN View Post
I know this questions has been posted before and I have read through hundreds of them to get a better idea....I am hoping for some clarification. I keep hearing how all of Miami-Dade is a trash heap, don't move here unless you can afford Key Biscayne, etc. HOWEVER, my husband's family business is thriving in the Miami area (locations in Coconut Grove, Sunny Isles Beach, and Miami) and his family have offered him a job there. We are set on moving - so don't try to convince me to move to Jax or Seaside. Although, if he got a job in Seaside/Destin/Seagrove I would move there in a heartbeat. We are looking at this as a fun family adventure, and plan on taking full advantage of all of the fantastic family activities there are in the SE FL area. Anyhow, here is what we are looking for specifically and my biggest concern is SAFETY. We have 5 children and we are accustomed to letting them play in the backyard (fenced) ride bikes in the street, and play in the park or walk to a friends house. I understand that there is no "safe" place near Miami. But, I refuse to believe that there are NO neighborhoods that are relatively safe. Meaning: petty crimes can occur, but are the exception. I have looked up crime statistics by city, and I have found that Miami is actually lower in crime than Atlanta and we have family there that we visit often. They have never been the victims of crime, even living in the city. So, here we go:

Must Haves:

1.) Safety - again relatively safe. Play in backyard, I like to run, bike riding, etc. We use common sense and are aware of our surroundings. We also plan on getting an alarm system and have a weapon for protection.
2.) Commute - my husband would like to have no more than a 45 minute commute to these areas where he will be working : Coconut Grove, Sunny Isles Beach, and Miami Springs.
3.) Near a safe park - we currently live walking distance to a beautiful park with trails and a greenway and would love to continue to do so. We are an active family who enjoys being outdoors, even in muggy hot buggy weather!

Wants:
1.) Near a great homeschool co-op or hybrid homeschool program. Any homeschoolers chime in here?? I have had a difficult time finding anything on the web. Our kids are currently enrolled in an umbrella program at a private classical school where they attend a one day a week tutorial. Would love to be close to something like this.
2.) Walkable - would be great also if the neighborhood had non big box/commercial restaurants and shops within walking distance.
3.) Near the beach - this is of course, a dream. Probably not possible - but it doesn't hurt to ask!

Our budget is going to be $1800-$2000 for renting (will probably rent the first 6 months we are here while looking) and $250-$300k for buying. We do not need a huge house - 2500 sq ft is more than enough. We keep our material possessions to a minimum and use our money for traveling and having fun!

We live in Nashville, and have lived in the rougher areas but those don't even compare. The area we were in was an artsy, eclectic, transitional area with a lot of great restaurants, older homes, and terrible schools. There were projects, but they pale in comparison to Miami. There was crime, but it was pretty low considering. Schools are not an issue because we home school, although being close to a great co-op or hybrid home school program would be fantastic!

It would be really helpful if you could mention actual subdivision names, so I can search within them. Also, if you know of any new home builders with subdivisions that would be great too. So far I have only found Lennar.

Thanks in advance!

I will offer you this advice..........visit first.

signed.....recently moved from FLA to TN

Old 05-17-2013, 01:49 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
Yes, definitely visit and take a look at the neighborhoods and stuff down here before doing the move.

If you could improve the budget a little (to something like $2,100-2,500 or +) it would help quite a bit, especially in getting to live in a fine nice n' safe area.

Taking into account everything, especially commute and safety, I'd probably recommend somewhere in Miami Shores or Biscayne Park. Also farther south The Roads neighborhood, and also (most of) Miami Springs.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:51 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
If you didn't have to be so close to Miami and to the beach, I would recommend Weston.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
2500 sq are mansions here, this ain't Texas. We have very limited space be ause we have the Everglades to the West and the Coast(or Bay) to the East

You need to up your budget or decrease your requirements. A house like you describe is gonna be at least $3,000

Sorry, had to LOL at your comment. I don't live in Texas either and a 2500 sq ft house is pretty middle of the road. I also said OR LESS. Meaning anything up to 2500 sq ft. I really don't want to get caught up in the size of the house here. I'd like to know what neighborhoods specifically, central to the areas I mentioned that are relatively safe?????

Anyone???

Old 05-17-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I will offer you this advice..........visit first.

signed.....recently moved from FLA to TN

We will absolutely visit first. However, I'd love to have a few local opinions before we head down. We will get a realtor, but still would like local advice. Do you have any advice to give me? Congrats on your move to TN. It's beautiful here. We love it, but are excited for a new adventure!

Old 05-17-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobMAX View Post
Yes, definitely visit and take a look at the neighborhoods and stuff down here before doing the move.

If you could improve the budget a little (to something like $2,100-2,500 or +) it would help quite a bit, especially in getting to live in a fine nice n' safe area.

Taking into account everything, especially commute and safety, I'd probably recommend somewhere in Miami Shores or Biscayne Park. Also farther south The Roads neighborhood, and also (most of) Miami Springs.
Thank you for actually answering my question!! We really won't be able to stretch the budget much farther. I know property values are ridiculous in FL. Super crazy. We live in a large brick house on over 1/2 acre and bought it for $249k. Granite, travertine, everything. So I'm not expecting it to be super fancy, but I would like it to be somewhat safe. I will check those areas. Thank you!

Old 05-17-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeonnow75 View Post
Minimum $3000 a month in rent in Maimi unless you go into the ghetto and you don't want to do that.

Which location exactly is your husband working at? Or will he be rotating between all three? Because those three are far apart from each other.

BTW 2500sq ft are NOT mansions...Those are actually common sq footage.
Honestly, we are not sure at the moment. I have a feeling that eventually he will be overseeing all 3 stores and will need to travel around. I'm having a hard time just from looking at maps on Zillow, etc exactly how far the commute would be to those areas from other areas. I have never been to Miami before so I have no clue. We will get a realtor, but I would like advice from locals. I don't need the house or neighborhood to be perfect and lilly white. But I would like it to be somewhat safe. Otherwise, what's the point?! Do you have an opinion on Plantation?? From searches, it looks like it fits into our price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami