Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:42 PM

70 posts, read 109,969 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am a 34 y/o AA female looking to get the hell out of expensive a$$ DC. I hate it and the pretentious people who live here. I have visited Miami and I think it is the place for me. I want to live somewhere where it is warm year round and I have access to beautiful beaches and different cultures. My question is what area of Miami would you all recommend?

I don't have a car, so I would need access to transit until I can buy a car, I also want to be able to get to the beach quickly. I am looking to spend between 700 - 1k a month in rent. I have a Masters degree in HR,so I hope to be able to find a job with a decent wage.

Any advice will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:07 PM

9,296 posts, read 14,184,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentina Cavalli View Post
Hello All,

I am a 34 y/o AA female looking to get the hell out of expensive a$$ DC. I hate it and the pretentious people who live here. I have visited Miami and I think it is the place for me. I want to live somewhere where it is warm year round and I have access to beautiful beaches and different cultures. My question is what area of Miami would you all recommend?

I don't have a car, so I would need access to transit until I can buy a car, I also want to be able to get to the beach quickly. I am looking to spend between 700 - 1k a month in rent. I have a Masters degree in HR,so I hope to be able to find a job with a decent wage.

Other places on the planet besides DC are expensive and contain pretension people, Miami is no exception.

Different, at least on US soil, as you point out, are the beaches and warm temperatures year round.

Without a car, and with access to the beach a priority, your best bet is Miami Beach itself. At your price point, probably a studio or one bedroom in an old building several blocks from the beach.

The really hard part would be landing a job: you need to have an already stellar career behind you - but that does not appear to be the case - and/or good contacts in Miami - which does not appear to be the case as well. And even if you do land a job, that it be reasonably commutable from Miami Beach.

Good Luck!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:20 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,146,996 times
Hello!
I used to live in DC as well, before moving back to San Diego for the weather, and my parents' jobs. Weather was HELL in DC! And it was expensive. But I do miss it now and then...

Anyways, Miami won't be cheap, but better than DC. The problem is that DC has more jobs, and the jobs there pay higher, than in South Florida. Given that you won't have a car, I'd recommend a walkable area. Coconut Grove and South Beach definitely have that, and many people in SoBe bike or rollerskate everywhere. I really loved the Coconut Grove area. It has an outdoor mall named Cocowalk, and good restaurants, like Jaguar. I walked everywhere on my visit there, I had no need for a car. BUT, Miami does have some sprawl, so for sure you'll need one at some point.

Best of luck to you! I hope to move down to Miami some day! Let us know how everything turns out!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 PM

882 posts, read 1,452,590 times
Hi there,

I can't really advise you on location, but my wife and I (who are not AA if it matters) are also about to move from DC to Miami ... I just wanted to note that in our recent experience investigating our move, Miami is neither cheaper nor any less 'pretentious' than DC, in fact I'd venture to say that on the whole, Miami is about even on both accounts, probably more pretentious if the sheer number of practicing plastic surgeons and leased Aventadors is anything to go by.

That's not to say that it's not a wonderful place to live and work, and like all cities it has its pluses and minuses. But if you're expecting a cheaper more down to earth place than DC, I'm not sure Miami will live up to those expectations.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,950,939 times
If the two top reasons you are moving is because you are sick of pretentious people and an expensive city those are the wrong reasons to move to Miami. You price point won't get you much that is fairly low for Miami. Not having in a car in Miami can be a big negative unless you can find a place right near the metrorail or people mover and even then it's NOTHING like the D.C. Metro which is fantastic!

Think long and hard about moving here. I highly reccomend you spend a week or two here in the summer and stay away from the big tourist spots for most of the time.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:35 PM

69 posts, read 91,687 times
Don't move here without a car. I mean, you CAN if you want to live that bohemian SoBe life, but I wouldn't recommend no car.

And find a job first. As mentioned earlier, the job market can be rough here and the wages are less than the NE.

For the money you're looking to spend, you'd be in a not-so-awesome part of Biscayne corridor or a pretty shabby apartment in a mostly decent area. I say mostly decent, because crossing the living on one side of a block, versus another can up your odds for break-ins and tranny-hookers on the corner at 2 am.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:51 PM

984 posts, read 4,290,073 times
Sorry to say, but it looks like it wouldn't be a good match for you down here. I surely think you should consider Metro Ft. Lauderdale - is much cheaper to live, plus it doesn't have as nearly as many of the pretentious fake wealth style people, not to mention it's safer. Miami-Dade is loaded with pretentious people and has a quite rubbish cost of living (it isn't far off Metro D.C.'s). Job situation and the economy is definitely worse (than D.C.) Also something along the near $1k monthly rental price range will only get pretty basic places in reasonable/worthy areas, or decent sizable 1bd/1ba apartments in below average neighborhoods. Not having a car, even temporarily, would further make the issue worse.

Take a look at the Sticky map with all neighborhoods rated by quality of life/standards of living and also at the same time look at rental sites to see where this price range would get you currently. Somebody recommended spending some more time when traveling here - I'd second that, and as said, spend more time in the areas that are not touristic oriented (vis a vis the suburbs, plus from the Midtown area and northwards, and from Coconut Grove/Coral Way district and southwards).

Last edited by JacobMAX; 05-20-2013 at 10:11 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 PM

249 posts, read 416,366 times
DC and Miami = similar cost of living but Miami wages are lower, public transportation is a joke, plenty of pretentious people and since you said you're an African-American I think its worth pointing out that AA neighborhoods are just awful down here

Old 05-21-2013, 11:06 PM

319 posts, read 620,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentina Cavalli View Post
Hello All,

AA? African U.S. American?

There is discrimination towards your ethnic group in South Florida. I am letting you know, probably the only member here honest enough to tell you the truth.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 AM

70 posts, read 109,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Other places on the planet besides DC are expensive and contain pretension people, Miami is no exception.

Different, at least on US soil, as you point out, are the beaches and warm temperatures year round.

Without a car, and with access to the beach a priority, your best bet is Miami Beach itself. At your price point, probably a studio or one bedroom in an old building several blocks from the beach.

The really hard part would be landing a job: you need to have an already stellar career behind you - but that does not appear to be the case - and/or good contacts in Miami - which does not appear to be the case as well. And even if you do land a job, that it be reasonably commutable from Miami Beach.

Good Luck!
I have almost 10 years of experience in HR. What constitutes a "stellar" career?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami