Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:06 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times

Advertisements

Western Broward or Pinecrest in Miami-Dade county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 34,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Miami Beach!!! Mid beach (41st St area) - that's the exact price range, & it's the best!!! And you just go right over 195! Check it out! Also, coming from the NE, you'll feel at home! I lived in/on Miami Beach for 10.5 years! If I could afford a house there, that's where I'd still be living!
You will not find what the OP is looking for in this area for anywhere near that price range.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,030 times
Try Pinecrest, very nice very suburbia, and still some places under a million. very large lots for the most part, close to good shopping , great schools, the commute can be rough, but that's pretty standard for all of South Fl. Good Luck

Old 11-06-2007, 10:01 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,394 times
When you say "the international airport", I'm assuming MIA. If so, I'd recommend either Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay, western Miramar or western Pembroke Pines.

If FLL would be equally acceptable to your husband, I'd recommend Weston, Cooper City, Southwest Ranches, and the western part of Davie.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:22 AM

10 posts, read 14,046 times
Default Sugarland

Sugarland is a suburb of houston as I'm sure you know. I'd pick it any day over anywhere in south florida...When I moved to Miami, (I live in a suburb too) I thought it was going to be amazing and spectacular change from Illinois...After getting here you realize that it is not all you thought it was and now you're semi-trapped because you've already moved here. It is expensive, The economy is terrrible rude and very superficial people everywhere, most People here have tremendous egos with an attitude to match the infrastructure is bad and there is constant construction because they did not make roads big enough from the start etc., The public schools are terrible(At least in dade county they are.), A lot of the counties officials seem to be corrupt and the loads and tons of tax dollars are not being put to good use at all....For example, a park by my house was supposed to be completed by 2008, just three months before the deadline and construction has not even started yet...And I don't know what people mean by saying Miami is a melting pot! IT IS NOT a melting pot! Everyone here is hispanic, and I have nothing against hispanic people or anything, but just because like the 95% of the population is latino does not make a place diverse! Diversity is black, asian, chinese, white, native american, all mixed together not just hispanics from different countires. In dade county, unless you go to miami beach, south beach, bal harbour, or north miami beach, you will swear you are living in some other country like Colombia, or venezuela... I'd say sugarland is your best bet...I almost moved over there, don't know why I didn't but when I was looking for a house there, they had 3,000 square foot homes for just 200,000!! Imagine what you could do with 800,000! ANd that was less than a year ago!! 'm not being rude, I'm just telling you like it is

Old 11-07-2007, 10:08 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjl2791 View Post
Sugarland is a suburb of houston as I'm sure you know. I'd pick it any day over anywhere in south florida...When I moved to Miami, (I live in a suburb too) I thought it was going to be amazing and spectacular change from Illinois...After getting here you realize that it is not all you thought it was and now you're semi-trapped because you've already moved here. It is expensive, The economy is terrrible rude and very superficial people everywhere, most People here have tremendous egos with an attitude to match the infrastructure is bad and there is constant construction because they did not make roads big enough from the start etc., The public schools are terrible(At least in dade county they are.), A lot of the counties officials seem to be corrupt and the loads and tons of tax dollars are not being put to good use at all....For example, a park by my house was supposed to be completed by 2008, just three months before the deadline and construction has not even started yet...And I don't know what people mean by saying Miami is a melting pot! IT IS NOT a melting pot! Everyone here is hispanic, and I have nothing against hispanic people or anything, but just because like the 95% of the population is latino does not make a place diverse! Diversity is black, asian, chinese, white, native american, all mixed together not just hispanics from different countires. In dade county, unless you go to miami beach, south beach, bal harbour, or north miami beach, you will swear you are living in some other country like Colombia, or venezuela... I'd say sugarland is your best bet...I almost moved over there, don't know why I didn't but when I was looking for a house there, they had 3,000 square foot homes for just 200,000!! Imagine what you could do with 800,000! ANd that was less than a year ago!! 'm not being rude, I'm just telling you like it is
Everything he says is true!!!!

Old 11-08-2007, 03:48 PM

73 posts, read 356,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjl2791 View Post
However, if you did choose to move to Houston, Sugar Land would be far from your only option. The Woodlands is a very nice suburban community that is MUCH closer to IAH than Sugar Land is, and it would provide many of the same amenities as far as housing, schools, shopping, etc, are concerned. At your price range, you'd also do well to consider the exurbs of West University and Bellaire, which both exist within the Houston city limits and have very convenient access to downtown, the museum district, the medical center, shopping, restaurants, and the like. They're older neighborhoods with mature vegetation and a mixture of large old homes and new construction replacing the smaller older homes.

I've never actually been to Miami, so I can't compare, but I did see this thread...and since I spent the first 18 years of my life (minus two) in Houston, I thought I'd chime in.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:17 PM

546 posts, read 2,147,282 times
OP - I've lived in Miami forever and for that price range I'd buy a house in Pinecrest. Great schools and parks everywhere. Close to pretty much everything. Never been to texas so I can't say anything about Texas....

Old 11-09-2007, 03:12 PM

21 posts, read 42,970 times
[quote=fort lauderdale;1908961]Houston Vs Miami on 800 grand...hmmm.....

1. Weston
2. Cooper City
3. Western parts of Davie

Remember, the best you could do, IMO, is to get information on this forum and go take a look at all the potential places you could like.

For example, I would die before I move to one those 3 places. they are boring to death to me but you might like them.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saviboy View Post

Remember, the best you could do, IMO, is to get information on this forum and go take a look at all the potential places you could like.

For example, I would die before I move to one those 3 places. they are boring to death to me but you might like them.
Good point. Interpreting what the poster seemed to want (newer custom homes, great schools, "Subruban") than I think those three are really the only relevant options in the Miami area in my opinion. But all he/she has to do is research into Pinecrest/Palmetto Bay here on the forums to see if she wants to live in an envrionment more like that, which is a great area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami