Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:19 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times

Advertisements

Bale

I hope I didn't offend you, I didn't mean too. Now on to the topic. Im not sure if you have lived in NYC or how familiar you are with NYC, but I have lived in both Miami and NYC and I assure you, you can not compare UES to Brickell in any meaningful way. The incomes in the UES far outpace Brickell. Also look at this

The Richest Urban Neighborhoods In America - Business Insider

That is a list of richest neighborhoods in America, not just in NYC. Miami ranks twice, but Brickell isn't among those rankings. I would compare brickell to downtown brooklyn or something like that, but not the UES.

I didn't take issue with your preferences by the way, everyone has their own way of going about life. I just took issue with the price comparison, because from what I know, it wasn't accurate. I was also pointing out, someone could live in NYC and pay the same amount of rent they would here in Miami. But as you pointed out, SOMETIMES that comes with less space. I have a friend who lives in Kew Gardens in Queens and he has a 3 bedroom, that is bigger and 50 dollars less a month than my two bedroom in the Grove. NYC is doable, but for some, other cities are preferable. Just depends on one's own tastes as you alluded too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:56 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Bale

I hope I didn't offend you, I didn't mean too. Now on to the topic. Im not sure if you have lived in NYC or how familiar you are with NYC, but I have lived in both Miami and NYC and I assure you, you can not compare UES to Brickell in any meaningful way. The incomes in the UES far outpace Brickell. Also look at this

The Richest Urban Neighborhoods In America - Business Insider

That is a list of richest neighborhoods in America, not just in NYC. Miami ranks twice, but Brickell isn't among those rankings. I would compare brickell to downtown brooklyn or something like that, but not the UES.

I didn't take issue with your preferences by the way, everyone has their own way of going about life. I just took issue with the price comparison, because from what I know, it wasn't accurate. I was also pointing out, someone could live in NYC and pay the same amount of rent they would here in Miami. But as you pointed out, SOMETIMES that comes with less space. I have a friend who lives in Kew Gardens in Queens and he has a 3 bedroom, that is bigger and 50 dollars less a month than my two bedroom in the Grove. NYC is doable, but for some, other cities are preferable. Just depends on one's own tastes as you alluded too.
No offense taken, I read all your posts with great interest. About six months ago, I did some research very specific to my personal interests, and the numbers that I cited are the ones that I came up with; by the way, my research also included specific neighborhoods of Rome and specific neighborhoods of San Francisco, in addition to the specific neighborhoods of Miami and New York. You just prompted me to clear up what I meant by the italics, which can be easily overlooked in this type of format.

I haven't lived in the NY area in almost 25 years, but I know that the UES would be a culturally ideal place based on my personal interests at this stage of my life. But the numbers just don't work for me, while Miami does: part of that is sheer amount of money (not enough to live well in UES), part is relatively low taxation, part is warm temperatures, part is geography, part is that I'm okay with "Latin" culture under US administration.

No argument with your numbers on a metropolitan-wide basis.

In that sense, I can add anecdotally that I have a nephew from Queens, lives here in Miami with wife and kid. Moneywise they come to the same conclusion as you, cost of living about the same, but wife has mother here in Miami, and that makes the difference for them.

If this thread had been a general discussion on cost of living comparisons, I would have responded differently.

Last edited by bale002; 06-25-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
No offense taken, I read all your posts with great interest. About six months ago, I did some research very specific to my personal interests, and the numbers that I cited are the ones that I came up with; by the way, my research also included Rome and San Francisco. You just prompted me to clear up what I meant by the italics, which can be easily overlooked in this type of format.

I haven't lived in the NY area in almost 25 years, but I know that the UES would be a culturally ideal place based on my personal interests at this stage of my life. But the numbers just don't work for me, while Miami does: part of that is sheer amount of money (not enough to live well in UES), part is relatively low taxation, part is warm temperatures, part is geography, part is that I'm okay with "Latin" culture under US administration.

No argument with your numbers on a metropolitan-wide basis.

In that sense, I can add anecdotally that I have a nephew from Queens, lives here in Miami with wife and kid. Moneywise they come to the same conclusion as you, cost of living about the same, but wife has mother here in Miami, and that makes the difference for them.
Funny you are looking over seas. I am flirting with the idea of Senegal right now. We will see. My wifes friend left Madrid for Rome not to long ago. She said it was like pulling teeth to get into Rome or anywhere in the EU for that matter. Because of how bad the economy is in Europe right now, they seem to be favoring EU residents all the more. I was thinking about France at one time, would be a nice adventure i think.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Funny you are looking over seas. I am flirting with the idea of Senegal right now. We will see. My wifes friend left Madrid for Rome not to long ago. She said it was like pulling teeth to get into Rome or anywhere in the EU for that matter. Because of how bad the economy is in Europe right now, they seem to be favoring EU residents all the more. I was thinking about France at one time, would be a nice adventure i think.
Recently in Italy they raised the effective tax rate from around 43% to more than 50% - that ruled out Rome -, while in the US it is 17% at the federal level, and in Florida there is basically only property tax, which is about the same as in much of the northeast US.

That list regarding Miami refers to neighborhoods where the movie stars live, not really representative, while it also includes some bread and butter neighborhoods of San Francisco, Chicago, Washington DC, Manhattan, even Brooklyn, and I was glad to see a few in Boston, like Back Bay, an old hangout years ago, analogous (italics) to Brickell in Miami.

Good luck with your flirting overseas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami