Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 04:00 PM

353 posts, read 814,394 times

Advertisements

Reasons and stories....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 06:14 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
I would regret moving up there, especially Philly, yuck!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
Seriously I moved here when I was 12 from Elizabeth NJ In 78, this was a breath of fresh air and also a culture shock. I never regretted moving here although I do miss Jersey from time to time since I still have family and friends there. jersey had the seasons and it is quite different.

I suppose you are posted this because you regret moving here, why? Maybe if we know we can point you to other locations in south florid pa that would make you happier... Also how recent was your move? New Jersey has changed quite a bit recently so maybe what you are looking for doesn't exist in either place.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:24 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times
Moved from Philly to south FL in 2002....been here 11 years. Dont regret it one bit. I cringe when I have to go back to Philly. I'm glad I made the move.

Cheers to Florida. Amen!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
What part were you from in Jersey?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
When I see the crime stats of philly and Baltimore( OMG Baltimore has the same murder rate as Colombia!!) I absolutely cringe.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Does Yonkers count?

I lived in Manhattan between 1992 and 1996, then moved to Yonkers, then moved to South Florida in 2000.

I still like NYC a lot. To visit.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:38 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post

I lived in Manhattan between 1992 and 1996, then moved to Yonkers, then moved to South Florida in 2000.

I still like NYC a lot. To visit.
Manhattan offers a worldwide career and cultural venue, if one can afford to enjoy especially the cultural aspect, while Miami has a much more narrow focus. That difference is the only regret: of course Miami is about three times less expensive, but if I could live as comfortably in Manhattan as in Miami, I might opt for Manhattan.

I wouldn't give any consideration to the rest of the NY-NJ area, but maybe Boston or perhaps DC. However a similar issue arises in a place like Boston: even if you can afford, say, $800,000 on housing, it is still an old piece of crap, even worse than a fixer-upper in Coral Gables, for example, with extreme cold to boot and higher taxes than in Miami, though you have access to a much wider range of, and better, educational facilities and culture. On the other hand, Miami is a young city, give it another century or two, it might join the ranks of the elite global cities someday, but not today.

To sum up, in the meantime you have to be rich to enjoy Miami, but super rich to enjoy Manhattan or even Boston (or London, etc.).

Of course if the criteria is family and friends, then it's a different set of considerations.

In the end, though, rich is in the heart.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 06-14-2013 at 03:47 AM..

Old 06-15-2013, 02:24 PM

65 posts, read 73,298 times
Very interesting question and I eagerly wait for others' answers.

We have just made the move from Upstate NY to Miami. It was not a move by choice. Three years ago at the height of the recession my company decided to cut down its expensive NY office and move everyone to other sites all over the country and one of the sites was in Miami. Long story short, after 3 years of long distance, part year residence, uncertainty, out of all places Miami is the city where we both managed to get good jobs. So here we are.

If I could be perfectly honest, we would never have made the move by choice. We strongly prefer NY/NJ in terms of weather, landscape, culture, not to mention overall job market, school systems, approximity to families and friends.

But since we had to make the move, we decided to embrace Miami for what it is. And we are finding many things here that we do like. Friendly people, easy weather (especially if our parents would like to join us), great food, more relaxed pace. We are taking up cruising in place of hiking and camping. The goal is to make this experience a very positive one, both for us and for our children.

Again, to be perfectly honest, I still don't see Miami as the permanent home. If a good opprotunity comes up in the Northeast we will happily move back. But it will likely to be in the distant future. Five years from now or later. And who knows, maybe by then I will have grown to love Miami so much that I will not want to leave for anything in the world.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:39 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
stick around a little longer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami