Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:10 AM

318 posts, read 625,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Permanent vacation more accurate.
He he... more like having quality of life and money. You are probably in a cubicle watching the clock. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Fantasy on your part.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Fantasy on your part.
No.

Fantasy would be a Miami where hispanics are low skilled and have conditions similar to those in california.

Miami's economy is driven by hispanics. All sectors of the economy, all types of jobs, are done by hispanics. Hispanics cut the steak here, this city was built by hispanics and sustained by hispanics. Felix, my dear hispanic forumer.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 AM

No bearing on how I responded to that aspect of the OP's question.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:40 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
No.

Fantasy would be a Miami where hispanics are low skilled and have conditions similar to those in california.

Miami's economy is driven by hispanics. All sectors of the economy, all types of jobs, are done by hispanics. Hispanics cut the steak here, this city was built by hispanics and sustained by hispanics. Felix, my dear hispanic forumer.
Oh man come on, your taking the mick now! There are tons and I do mean TONS of low skilled, slum living Hispanics in Miami. When is the last time you visited Little Havana or Hialeah? With that said, yes there are also middle class and upper class Hispanics as well. I wouldn't want to be blamed for generalizing. To try and make it seem like Hispanics are the only thing making Miami run is really rather fanciful. The same demographic has also been blamed for running Miami like a "banana republic" with high corruption and ineffectual politicians. I have NOTHING against any group. But I do take exception when people try and make it seem like their ethnic group craps out gold and spits ice cream.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Rereading the above to my original I realize where an error in interpretation originated. When I wrote the professional class is Anglo I was referring to language and business norms.(The OP wrote of finding work without knowing Spanish) A presumably non-Spanish speaking northern Anglo would have no trouble fitting into a professional workplace as English is the dominate language among peers and also strictly used in documents.(unless the company deals with LATAM then dual use)

Old 06-25-2013, 11:24 AM

Now I agree with you,

There is no job discrimination in Miami. I do have coworkers with English last names. The worst paid employee at my work site makes 42, 45k. Entry level.

Miami is a place where all ethnicities live in harmony.

At the professional level, English is used, excluding certain companies that are related to south america.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:43 AM

58 posts, read 77,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
You are from Michigan and probably "white"? You won't do well in Miami if you are a racist.
I am white, but definitely not a racist, lol.

I read the replies and the city seems interesting to say the least. A lot of the negatives about the city do not really bother me very much. I care about the job market, which I gather is actually decent for someone in my position. I draw a lot of my motivation from the surrounding atmosphere, and Miami has the climate, warmth, and beautiful beaches. Miami also has all of these parties and festivals which look like so much fun, and everything is outdoors.

Do a lot of the negatives of Miami really apply to a single guy in his 20's who is not looking to start a family? I do not really care about income disparity (as long as there is opportunity), I do not care about how good the schools are, I do not like crime obviously, but as with most cities I am sure it is centered around a few locations and with common sense I could avoid most of it. I do not care about great family activities.

Also, what is the nightlife like? Is it all basically clubs or are there good worthwhile bars/pubs? I have an image in my head where the bars cater to a specific nationality, but I might be wrong. Are the clubs in Miami worth going to if you are not rich (yet) and just average looking? Or is it basically just a big status competition like some clubs can be. I am imagining a place with world famous Dj's and everyone is having a blast, and I am also imaging a place where everyone is trying to be seen as the most important person there, and it is basically one big competition. Which is more accurate?

Last edited by Manimarco; 06-25-2013 at 12:00 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 02:03 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex =] View Post
Now I agree with you,

There is no job discrimination in Miami. I do have coworkers with English last names. The worst paid employee at my work site makes 42, 45k. Entry level.

Miami is a place where all ethnicities live in harmony.

At the professional level, English is used, excluding certain companies that are related to south america.
tell that to my dentist.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:47 AM

313 posts, read 647,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Oh man come on, your taking the mick now! There are tons and I do mean TONS of low skilled, slum living Hispanics in Miami. When is the last time you visited Little Havana or Hialeah?
Slum living? Nowhere in Miami. Closest thing you'll find to that are the dilapidated apartments in Overtown where fewer and fewer people live.

Most of Hialeah is blue collar, middle class hispanics. There are a lot of apartments, but absolutely nothing alarmingly impoverished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami