U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2007, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Miami
6,430 posts, read 12,751,179 times
Reputation: 2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I don't like "exclusive" lanes of any time, such as HOV or special toll lanes. HOV lanes are just the government's attempt at social engineering to force people to do something that is impractical for most. Toll lanes are elitist and benefit those who are willing to pay (that part would be fine) but they do so at the expense of others (because one less lane is available for general use).
When 95 starts the single pay lane, they will not take away a lane from the general use. So there will be the same amount of lanes plus one. What their plan is, is to make all the lanes even smaller in width so they can add a lane. At least this is what I heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2007, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Miami
6,430 posts, read 12,751,179 times
Reputation: 2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiGringo View Post
Miami should be looking to Bogota Colombia Tran Milenio and instead of adding fixed rail lines, pave the railroad right of ways, make them exclusive bus lanes and run natural gas or hybrid buses.

Some of the more honest commisioners think the busways are the way to go. But then there are commisoners J.M. that are getting paid to push anything but the bus way.

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-17-2007 at 03:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2007, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
8,368 posts, read 16,064,143 times
Reputation: 3867
Has anyone seen the result of the Busway going along south Dixie highway? It has turned into a private road for police and fire employees, with an occasional bus. Ground level rail is cheaper to run than buses, and takes less physical space. A bus can be run on railroad tracks and was done in the 1930's (look up Evans auto railer). Rail allows automation while street-level buses do not. The current busway has made a virtual bottleneck of South Dixie cross-traffic. I would prefer to see buses on public streets, and have rail along the expressways or down the median. The ferrys are an excellent idea, not sure why the abundant waterways of south Florida are not used for transportation. I am sure it would be very polular with tourists!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2007, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Heartland Florida
8,368 posts, read 16,064,143 times
Reputation: 3867
Internet Archive: Details: Chevrolet Leader News (Vol. 1, No. 2)

It's nice to think of what could be done if people like us had real input into the system!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2007, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Miami
6,430 posts, read 12,751,179 times
Reputation: 2448
Actually as I have learned by going to the commisioner meetings, the bus ways are cheaper in the long run. I know, I was surprised to learn that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2007, 04:14 PM
 
Location: America
6,671 posts, read 10,507,994 times
Reputation: 1803
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Actually as I have learned by going to the commisioner meetings, the bus ways are cheaper in the long run. I know, I was surprised to learn that too.
1. You are talking about Miami?

2. So are they going to push bus over rail then?

3. From what you gathered what is the most likely direction for mass transit in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Miami
6,430 posts, read 12,751,179 times
Reputation: 2448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
1. You are talking about Miami?

2. So are they going to push bus over rail then?

3. From what you gathered what is the most likely direction for mass transit in the area?
1. Yes
2. Not sure yet, depends on which commisioner you ask. And who is paying them.
3. Not sure, each has their own pluses and minuses. The Busways (like the one on US1 south of Kendall Drive) look like they are the overall better solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2007, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
3,644 posts, read 3,548,100 times
Reputation: 1585
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Has anyone seen the result of the Busway going along south Dixie highway? It has turned into a private road for police and fire employees, with an occasional bus. Ground level rail is cheaper to run than buses, and takes less physical space. A bus can be run on railroad tracks and was done in the 1930's (look up Evans auto railer). Rail allows automation while street-level buses do not. The current busway has made a virtual bottleneck of South Dixie cross-traffic. I would prefer to see buses on public streets, and have rail along the expressways or down the median. The ferrys are an excellent idea, not sure why the abundant waterways of south Florida are not used for transportation. I am sure it would be very polular with tourists!
You are right on. The accursed bus lane is the bane of every US1 commuter's life. It has made turning onto or off of US1 impossible. Every day I am forced to sit at a red arror instead of being able to turn at a green light because of the bus lane. Coming back I have to sit at a red light instead of being able to make a right on red onto US1 southbound. If this is our elected officials' idea of a 'cure' then I'd rather have the disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2007, 09:38 PM
 
Location: America
6,671 posts, read 10,507,994 times
Reputation: 1803
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
You are right on. The accursed bus lane is the bane of every US1 commuter's life. It has made turning onto or off of US1 impossible. Every day I am forced to sit at a red arror instead of being able to turn at a green light because of the bus lane. Coming back I have to sit at a red light instead of being able to make a right on red onto US1 southbound. If this is our elected officials' idea of a 'cure' then I'd rather have the disease.
elevated trains for the win?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2007, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Miami
6,430 posts, read 12,751,179 times
Reputation: 2448
elevated trains would be great, but we don't have the money for it from what I get from the commisioners. Also many people see them as an eye sore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top