Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 AM

11 posts, read 13,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
You're calling and following up on the jobs you're applying for right?
Are you contacting the managers of the departments of the jobs you're applying for?
I've been meaning to do that but when I'm applying online it doesn't list any contact so that I can have some sort of following up routine. The only thing I can do to follow up is apply on those head hunter websites and follow up with them to be proactive but they basically leave me dead in the water with no answer. But I'll take your advice and look a lot harder for some sort of contact information because tonight I'm going to apply to a job that I would really love, wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:35 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson2k10 View Post
look a lot harder for some sort of contact information !
Do this.
It can make a HUGE difference.

Here's how I got my first job down here when I was still up north.

Made a list of companies that might have positions I was experienced in and wanted.
Found the contact information of who the owners/managers were.

I called them (they didn't have jobs posted anywhere) and explained that I wanted to move to Florida, had experience in their industry, and could they offer me any advice.

That way, I didn't put anyone on the spot.
One of the people I contacted asked me to come down for an interview.
It was because I called them that the job materialized.

Best of luck!!!!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 13,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Do this.
It can make a HUGE difference.

Here's how I got my first job down here when I was still up north.

Made a list of companies that might have positions I was experienced in and wanted.
Found the contact information of who the owners/managers were.

I called them (they didn't have jobs posted anywhere) and explained that I wanted to move to Florida, had experience in their industry, and could they offer me any advice.

That way, I didn't put anyone on the spot.
One of the people I contacted asked me to come down for an interview.
It was because I called them that the job materialized.

Best of luck!!!!
Wow! your post literally amazed me because that's something I didn't even think of. Especially that you came from the North with the desire to find a job and move to Florida. I guess tonight I will have to do Google search of companies that have IT work in the Miami-Dade county. But seriously thank you because I was literally running out of ideas on how to land a job down there and was also discouraging is that I know I have the experience and paperwork that qualifies me to get a job in my field easily. If you dont mind me asking what is your field of expertise? Also how difficult was it for you to land a job in Florida? and what is a long process as well?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times
Quote:
Wow! your post literally amazed me because that's something I didn't even think of. Especially that you came from the North with the desire to find a job and move to Florida. I guess tonight I will have to do Google search of companies that have IT work in the Miami-Dade county. But seriously thank you because I was literally running out of ideas on how to land a job down there and was also discouraging is that I know I have the experience and paperwork that qualifies me to get a job in my field easily. If you dont mind me asking what is your field of expertise? Also how difficult was it for you to land a job in Florida? and what is a long process as well?
I've been down here since '95 so times were very different.

However, when I got my current job, my boss told me one of the main reasons she hired me is because everyone else just sent in their resumes and I was the only one who called her.

Keep in mind that most people will be flattered if you ask them for advice.
I think that was the key.
As I said, I didn't ask for a job, just advice and if they knew of anyone who was looking for someone with my background. From the time I made contact to the time I moved down.. I think it was about (2) months.

At the time, I was a buyer for custom made windows/doors.. nothing too fancy, but there weren't a lot of people with the experience.

I also remember that first company telling me that they'd never hire anyone who moved down here without having a job lined up because they felt they didn't want to hire someone so irresponsible (their words-not mine).

Be prepared for possible rejection when making your phone calls, but just keep going.
If you really want it, you can make it happen.
Again, best of luck!

Last edited by cfbs2691; 08-26-2013 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,905 times
My experience is that recruiters seem annoyed if I bother to call them. I never get the job by being interested in the least. I have to act not interested in positions for them to come my way. I know that defies conventional wisdom, but it has served me well. I cannot argue with experience.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I've been applying to many job openings outside of New England because I want to go to a warmer client but I feel like there's no hope with the number of applications I've filled out already. I understand the odds are against me because I'm not local and they're plenty of other candidates that are just as qualified as me locally, but I keep my head up high and keep plugging away. A head hunter recommended me to apply in MIA and I've been doing just that because I can relocate their with some family members etc. My resume's don't get denied like they did in the past when I had no experience and no certs. But with sum years under my belt as well as some certs my applications don't get sent back to me. So should I consider that a good thing? All I know I've achieved most of my goals and this is one of my last one. To experience Florida before I get tied up and end up being stuck in the miserable weather in New England. Don't get me wrong I love where I'm from and the people around me but I wanted to do this for myself since I'm goal oriented, and I never want to be that guy to say "what if? or I wish I moved down their when I had the chance". In addition originally I was supposed to move to Florida in 2007 but I decided to get my self an education and experience so I would be able to get a career going in order to support myself out there. Please, if anyone has any recommendation on what should I do please let me know, thanks.
I wouldn't feel bad. The economy is still very bad, and you have tons of people fighting for the same jobs. So its not easy finding something else, believe me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami