Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:48 PM

655 posts, read 2,182,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Well it's no secret that Miami has a very high rate of this stuff...
Doesn't change the fact that it's not specific to Miami. It can and does happen everywhere, and it's not like it happens in every single area of Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 03:56 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
"Just another day in Miami"? So this happens to every single resident, daily?

Hmm. Sounds like it's one article with one victim. Seems like that same day, the other 5 million people in the metro area were pretty much okay...

I was okay yesterday! Not only did I survive the day, I actually enjoyed it

Old 11-13-2007, 04:05 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
"Just another day in Miami"? So this happens to every single resident, daily?

Hmm. Sounds like it's one article with one victim. Seems like that same day, the other 5 million people in the metro area were pretty much okay...
were all the 5 million really ok?....lets give them all a call or write letters to the poor ones without phones and ask them....fort lauderdale is somewhat right saying that most wont experience these things but there is a bigger chance of it happening to anyone in Miami-Dade county then there is in the good areas of Nashville or Charolette and lots of other cities/counties.....and there is about the same amount of chance in places like Newark or Detroit but there arent nearly as many cities you could put in that category

Old 11-13-2007, 10:17 AM

564 posts, read 1,900,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
I was okay yesterday! Not only did I survive the day, I actually enjoyed it
Me too! I've been here 2000+ days and no violent crime yet! I think that must be a record or something!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:26 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Me too! I've been here 2000+ days and no violent crime yet! I think that must be a record or something!
I've got you all beat. Someone tried to break into my car about 15 years ago. That's about it. I've been lucky, but I know many people that haven't been victimized here yet either. Even though this place is filled with crime, it's not the war zone that some make it out to be. Not ALL of Miami is a place where drive by shootings occur and drugs are sold on the corners.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:22 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
If you want to be safe you can set up safety bars on your windows, security cameras, barb-wired fences, and have attack dogs.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 PM

854 posts, read 2,862,322 times
Hehe, some problems are solved by nature itself:

Man Trying To Escape Police Killed By Gator - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami (http://www.local10.com/news/14578234/detail.html - broken link)

Old 11-13-2007, 04:22 PM

440 posts, read 1,494,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dabalina View Post
Robbers Shoot Armored Car Driver in Fla.

Published: 11/12/07, 2:05 PM EDT

MIAMI (AP) - Masked gunmen tried to hold up a Brinks armored car Monday and shot the driver, police said.
The driver was being treated at a hospital but the extent of his injuries was not immediately known, Miami-Dade police said.
As many as three men wearing ski masks approached the driver of the truck at a service station in northwest Miami, officers said. After the driver was shot, the gunmen fled in a car that was later found abandoned in Broward County, the police department said.
Broward County sheriff's deputies joined the search for the suspects.
Investigators did not immediately know if any money was taken from the truck.
I just got back from a business trip to Houston ... it is a city that I love but if you ever read the Houston Chronicle or watch the local news , it will scare the wits out of you and many days make Miami look tame ... news like the above happens everywhere , not just in Miami . Now I am not implying that crime is not a problem down here as it is , but it is pretty bad all over our great country not just in South Florida . I travel over 50 % of the time as I handle the sales in the South West and South East regions for my company and I can assure all on here that Houston , Dallas , Atlanta , Charleston , Tampa , Jacksonville , and Phoenix all have crime rates as bad as Miami and in some cases worse .

Old 11-13-2007, 04:30 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
The ironic thing is that people seem to think it's all coming from the northeast and that the north has the worst crime but in reality it's the opposite...the sunbelt has always been a leader in crime. Regardless, go look at my poll. Not many had burglars. You just can't worry about this stuff, unless your actual neighborhood is pretty much a cesspool and you really can't afford to upgrade within your region.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:34 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
I just got back from a business trip to Houston ... it is a city that I love but if you ever read the Houston Chronicle or watch the local news , it will scare the wits out of you and many days make Miami look tame ... news like the above happens everywhere , not just in Miami . Now I am not implying that crime is not a problem down here as it is , but it is pretty bad all over our great country not just in South Florida . I travel over 50 % of the time as I handle the sales in the South West and South East regions for my company and I can assure all on here that Houston , Dallas , Atlanta , Charleston , Tampa , Jacksonville , and Phoenix all have crime rates as bad as Miami and in some cases worse .
Not to be a smart azz but they have this new thing out where you can actually look at all the news stations over the internet and im sure no one knows about it yet......but i remember living in Houston when i was a kid and my parents said Miami was alot scarier to them

NEWS | Breaking Houston News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Video from KHOU.com | 11 News

CBS 4 - South Florida's Source for Breaking News, Weather, and Sports
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami