Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 12:01 PM

353 posts, read 813,924 times

Advertisements

A good amount of time.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 12:04 PM

353 posts, read 813,924 times
But don't we all do here? Think about it....if one day,lets play pretend here,they ban Air conditioners in South Florida, I think half of the population would move out....or if lets juts say electricity goes out for a year or more due some crazy natural disaster ....what then?

Last edited by Outofthematrix; 08-10-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 05:09 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
I dont know why whenever a thread like this pops up people have to compare 98 degrees with heat indexes of 115-120 to blizzards and which is better,there are places that get a good balance of temperatures without one extreme lasting half the year.I live in Florida and despise the heat,however I know I can deal with 100 degrees better than 5 degrees,but cold temperatures around 35-55 I love and from 55-70 is near perfect temperatures.So while I know I don't want below zero blizzards I also know I hate Miami's 7 months of oppressive heat so if you're like me a place somewhere in the middle like the Carolinas will get a good balance of temperatures,there's a reason nobody lived down here before air conditioning,it wasn't tolerable.In my perfect world I would love to be a snowbird getting out of here in late May until at least October.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:24 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
For the same reason I found 8 months of darkness and freezing temps undesirable in Vermont, I found the endless sun and summer of FL undesirable, so I moved to where there are four easy seasons. One good thing FL did do for me is make my tolerance for heat much higher. I never sweat here and don't require air-conditioning to be comfortable. Works for me.
To each their own though . . . Its a big country with lots of good stuff. Its great to find 'your' place

Old 08-11-2013, 10:24 AM

69 posts, read 92,031 times
Been here for almost 20 years. I hate the weather more each year. Never got used to it. I love sweaters, hoodies, Leandro jackets. You know, stylish clothes. Not just tees and shorts.

But I'm not a beach fan, not in love with the sun and. Being outside in SoFla.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:48 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
I just seem to run to warm weather. This winter I am going from SC to Fl.
I'm following the sunshine. ( hopefully)
January and February will be a joy because it should be a "tad" warmer then here in SC.
I love shorts and capris actually and you can dress capris up with different shirts and jackets. No problem there. In the winter months I have a variety of vests because that is all that is needed.
Really, I don't head north in the summer months. I love that we have more days worth going to the beach and have more swimming time.
I'm afraid to head north and see fall arriving too soon.
We have fall here but it is quite later and September and October are still swim times.
I don't want to hibernate again during winter months. Getting out and about is a good thing.
Cold and ice are worse, on myself, then hot heat.
But, everyone is different. If someone can enjoy the cold throughout their lifetime then that's good for them.
If they can shovel and clear their car and home areas, it is an asset to them.
We are all different in many ways. If not, we'd have some states with no people.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times
If this is your first summer or first few summers, it will be brutal. I always tell my northern friends our mean season summers are like your deep into the winter blizzard months..basically we tend to stay indoors.

In the our Florida winters around Nov to May- ish it is so nice here and evening strolls are the norm.

Yes even I miss the change of seasons here since I come from NJ but there are subtle changes if you look out for them. Come start OCT to Nov the sky changes and the sunsets begin to become amazing. Around Nov I guess we are closer to the Moon and the moonrise is huge, often times with rings around it. It is dry and around this time and we do get night breezes which night scented flowers like galan de Noche, night blooming jasmine, bell flowers and others I don't know the name of.

Come jan and feb we sometimes on good years get occasional winter blasts and then you know at least my old nieghborhood that there are fireplaces in Florida and you smell it in the air. This year because of the gulf stream and trade winds we just might be lucky

And of course spring is mild and lovely here with all the flowering trees on show.

Then comes summer and the mean season, but also the pool season when you can take night swims if you have a covered patio. It is also the season of daily thunderstorms in the afternoon and aweful heat and humitiy. Around August through October we are glued to the weather forum, channel and home depot gets real busy.

So yeah I miss the seasons, I miss the fall weather and the hush of new fallen snow, but I can travel for that and that is what we do for vacations and we visit northern families and friends.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:04 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
I dont know why whenever a thread like this pops up people have to compare 98 degrees with heat indexes of 115-120 to blizzards and which is better,there are places that get a good balance of temperatures without one extreme lasting half the year.I live in Florida and despise the heat,however I know I can deal with 100 degrees better than 5 degrees,but cold temperatures around 35-55 I love and from 55-70 is near perfect temperatures.So while I know I don't want below zero blizzards I also know I hate Miami's 7 months of oppressive heat so if you're like me a place somewhere in the middle like the Carolinas will get a good balance of temperatures,there's a reason nobody lived down here before air conditioning,it wasn't tolerable.In my perfect world I would love to be a snowbird getting out of here in late May until at least October.
And I don't know why whenever a thread like this pops up people have to grossly exaggerate Miami's weather. 98 degrees with heat indexes of 115-120? Where are you getting this stuff? Maybe on a few days of record heat, certainly not all summer. Seven months of oppressive heat? There aren't even 7 months where Miami's temperature averages 80 degrees, much less 90 or 98. In fact, there are zero months where Miami's temperature averages even 90 degrees.

Average Weather for Miami, FL - Temperature and Precipitation

Now, I'll grant you that the combination of heat plus humidity makes Miami's summers pretty uncomfortable, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with spring or the fall. How you complain about 7 months I'll never know.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:52 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
I consider it hot anytime it's above 83 degrees and oppressive over 88,with those numbers you're easily looking at 9 months of heat with 6 of them being oppressive.I know it's not 98 degrees with feel likes of 115-120 for all that time,I was just making a comparison of extremes,other than that I don't know what point your making,Miami's hot as hell for a bunch of months of the year.And don't fool yourself looking at averages,the only months the highs rarely get into the mid 80's are December through February.Yes mid October,November and March are pretty nice but there's no guarantees.And yes don't say it I need to move north!!!

Last edited by doom1001; 08-12-2013 at 12:01 AM..

Old 08-12-2013, 07:58 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
I consider it hot anytime it's above 83 degrees and oppressive over 88,with those numbers you're easily looking at 9 months of heat with 6 of them being oppressive.I know it's not 98 degrees with feel likes of 115-120 for all that time,I was just making a comparison of extremes,other than that I don't know what point your making,Miami's hot as hell for a bunch of months of the year.And don't fool yourself looking at averages,the only months the highs rarely get into the mid 80's are December through February.Yes mid October,November and March are pretty nice but there's no guarantees.And yes don't say it I need to move north!!!
The point I was making was made in the very first sentence of my post. Whenever people talk about Miami's weather, they exaggerate how bad the heat is, as you did when you posted that the heat is oppressive for 7 months out of the year. I don't disagree with you about the summer months (which is why I'd rather be in Las Vegas's 105 degree heat with no humidity than in Miami's 90 with humidity.) But Miami in the spring and/or fall cannot be described as oppressive under any sense of the word.

And I have news for you, summers in the Carolinas can be as bad or worse than Miami (depending upon whether you are on the coast or inland). In fact, you're not going to escape humid summers anywhere in the southeast United States. I've lived in North Carolina, Maryland, and DC and can assure you that August in the mid-atlantic states is pretty damn bad. You think 85-90 temps with high humidity is bad? Try 95-105 with high humidity. Moving to the Carolinas will only help you escape humidity in the spring and fall. The weather in those months will be better than Miami, but then again, you'll have to put up with the cold and ice of winter. BTW, ice storms when the temps are barely below freezing are much worse than snow and much colder temps, so don't think winters are idyllic in Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami