Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 04:41 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,850 times

Advertisements

The Miami Hurricanes are moving away from the Orange Bowl and are going to start playing their football games at Dolphin Stadium permenantly (at least for the next 25 years).

Who thinks they should have stayed in the Orange Bowl? and since they are no longer there what do you think should be done to the Orange Bowl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 05:56 AM

345 posts, read 976,506 times
On the one hand, the Orange Bowl was one of the most historic stadiums in football; on the other hand, it was pretty clear the place was pretty much falling apart. So I can understand why U of M would want to go to Dolphin Stadium.

The best solution for UM would be for them to eventually get their own on campus stadium.

I'm a big Marlins fan and am always concerned about that team's future, so I'd like to see the Marlins get a ballpark at the Orange Bowl site. What I think would be nice would be for a small portion of the Orange Bowl grandstand to be saved and incorporated into the Marlins ballpark. That way, a part of the past sports history gets preserved for future generations.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:55 AM

518 posts, read 2,225,813 times
UM really had no choice financially when it came to the OB vs. Dolphin Stadium, and I think the argument that they had to make the move to be competitive in recruiting is a pretty strong one.

It's unfortunate that the students will have to go farther to see the games, but I also think UM may start attracting more fans from Broward and Palm Beach. If UM starts winning again, they might even steal some fans from the Dolphins, who continue to raise ticket prices while putting mediocre teams on the field.

The logical thing is for a Marlins ballpark to replace the Orange Bowl -- but it almost makes too much sense to ever happen. The city of Miami is capable of screwing up almost anything, and it's scary that the corrupt political hacks who run the city and county now hold the key to the Marlins' future.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:25 AM

448 posts, read 1,855,524 times
It doesn't really matter. We all know that the idea behind the move is to make space for a Marlin's stadium. Once the Canes move, the county is going to "decide" that the Orange Bowl is unsafe or vacant, and that the land would be better used if turned into a baseball stadium. We have great government.....

Old 08-24-2007, 12:00 PM

604 posts, read 4,620,936 times
unfortunately the orange bowl can't accommodate fans like dolphin stadium. We have season tix but to get a parking pass was additional $500. Only available parking was somebodies driveway for $20+ (NO BLOCKIE!) and you prayed you didn't get blocked in, what is was always happened and you sit on the trunk of your car for 2 hrs waiting for the dumbas* to unblock you!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:32 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
You know that this is a scheme, they want the Orange Bowl vacant to build that "White Elephant" baseball stadium which will fail in a few years. The city sold a lot of the parking land they used to have around the Orange Bowl and has harassed those who parked off-site and of course the MetroFail does not go there. The neighborhood is a dump, and it's an awful long walk from the rail to the OB. Expect millions of your tax dollars to be wasted on this nonsense. UM charges too much for their games anyway.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:25 PM

448 posts, read 1,855,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
You know that this is a scheme, they want the Orange Bowl vacant to build that "White Elephant" baseball stadium which will fail in a few years. The city sold a lot of the parking land they used to have around the Orange Bowl and has harassed those who parked off-site and of course the MetroFail does not go there. The neighborhood is a dump, and it's an awful long walk from the rail to the OB. Expect millions of your tax dollars to be wasted on this nonsense. UM charges too much for their games anyway.
Hey tallrick, glad to hear from you again. This forum was getting boring without you. I agree with you. The whole story is that the county/city wants the Orange Bowl demolished and use that land to build another White Elephant. Wake up Miami!!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:05 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
Makes my day that someone actually misses me..LOL! Also nice to see other people who are too smart to fall for Miami schemes.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:23 PM

1,352 posts, read 6,272,850 times
Does anyone think they will move some of the retired names - (Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar, Vinny Testaverde...ect. and the championships they won) - of UM alumni into a certain place in Dolphin Stadium?......or What is going to happen to those names that were all over the rafters of the Orange Bowl?

I just ask this because i grew up in Miami and am a big Hurricanes fan and i haven't lived there for about 10 years but have visited and just want to get a sense of things from locals that live there right now....Thank you

Old 08-24-2007, 10:57 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,749 times
The OB was a great old building whose time has come,look at Major league baseball,just about all the great baseball stadiums are getting replaced,it had to happen.As far as what's going to happen to the OB site,I would think if this city wants to hold on to the Marlins then they better start working on a new baseball stadium right away,as from what I hear the UM contract at Dolphins Stadium says there won't be baseball played there starting in 2011,so where are the Marlins gonna play????If a baseball stadium does ever materialize there they better come up with some sort of monorail/metrorail station to get people there as I can't imagine having to go there by car with all the great parking!!!!LOL.Even if they were to make some sort of underground parking garage,from experience it seems these aren't very convenient when everyone is getting out at the same time,I'm thinking of when I went to Yankees game in New York and parked in a garage and had to sit there for 1 1/2 hours waiting to get out.A UM stadium on-campus would be great but at least I would always be comparing it to other college stadiums.Simply put UM is not a big school like UF or FSU and there's not enough students who go to the football games so that might not necessarily be the best option,maybe if they were to build a smaller stadium,but then ticket prices for big games would be through the roof!!Maybe the best place for UM right now is Dolphins Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: