U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 PM

551 posts, read 2,825,057 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me a little info on the bad areas of Miami Beach? I'm moving down in a couple of weeks and am trying to find an apartment...my two options are at 13th & Drexel (a block west of Espanola Way) and the other is further north...at Dade Blvd & Prairie, right by the Miami Beach Convention Center. Should either of these places be avoided? And, I realize that most people are going to respond with "Miami should be avoided altogether"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:06 PM

448 posts, read 1,707,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Can anyone give me a little info on the bad areas of Miami Beach? I'm moving down in a couple of weeks and am trying to find an apartment...my two options are at 13th & Drexel (a block west of Espanola Way) and the other is further north...at Dade Blvd & Prairie, right by the Miami Beach Convention Center. Should either of these places be avoided? And, I realize that most people are going to respond with "Miami should be avoided altogether"
Miami Beach is pretty safe over all. Just have common sense and don't go out in the middle of the night to walk near dark streets. Of all Dade County, I would think that Miami Beach, with its huge crowds of tourist, would be among the safest areas/cities in So.Fl. Welcome and enjoy the sun.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 31,461 times
Quote:
Depends what you are looking for. The 13th & Drexel area is much closer to the action and to the beach. Parking and traffic will be a pain at times. The Dade & Prairie area is also pretty high traffic but I imagine parking would not be a problem. You can walk to Lincoln Road and the golf course nearby. Happy to answer any questions. There are not really any areas of Miami Beach that are bad, but some are more desirable than others.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:11 PM

1,770 posts, read 7,465,862 times
Quote:
And, I realize that most people are going to respond with "Miami should be avoided altogether"
No they won't, Miami and Miami Beach are two entirely different cities that feel worlds apart from each other.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 PM

16 posts, read 207,393 times
uhh i live on 76st and collins and miami beach overall isn't safe. i guess it depends on the kind of person your are. if your a wanna be ganster then yes, youre get your ass beaten, it all depends but overall, no...its not all that safe. take it from me i lived here my WHOLE life and relocating soon cause the weather, commute and crime is terrible not to mention the pieces of shyt jobs and super ultra combo over price tags on everything.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:12 AM

1,352 posts, read 5,783,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGONZ001 View Post
Miami Beach is pretty safe over all. Just have common sense and don't go out in the middle of the night to walk near dark streets. Of all Dade County, I would think that Miami Beach, with its huge crowds of tourist, would be among the safest areas/cities in So.Fl. Welcome and enjoy the sun.

Nice "poisitive" post ....everyone should see that you arent some negative trolll..anyways you are right Miami Beach is one of the safest areas in Dade county but just take the precautions that are stated in this quote too.....

Also if you want a less rowdy area look at North of South Beach....if you want to be around the action then stay near South Beach....good luck

Old 11-14-2007, 12:28 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,722,309 times
I live on the beach and can offer this guidance.
The West side of the North side of Southbeach is going to offer you the most convenient life. Almost anything you might need is there (except for Target and Home Depot!). To the West of Meridian Ave (runs North and South in the middle of Southbeach), you will find groceries, movies, a post office, drug stores, banks, hardware, gyms, restaurants, tire/auto service, fast food, restaurants, boutique shops, chain stores, bakeries, gas stations, vets, bars, water access, parks, etc. all within walkng distance for those who don't mind 15 minutes on foot. At the most, everything is accessible by bicycyle. The nearer you are to Lincoln Rd the richer the experience. The best part is that the West side of SOBE is NOT touristy. It's locals who live their lives in their little urban tropical neighborhood. It's been my experience that housing costs in this area are directly related to offstreet parking, washers and dryers, outdoor living space and amenities. If you want it all, you will pay dearly.
Regarding the Convention Center location, I would carefully consider what happens to traffic in that area during Boat Show, ArtBasel, AutoShows, HomeShows, etc.

Regarding crime, it's my experience that crime happens most where the tourists are. Oftentimes, crime is tourist on tourist. Funny thing how crowds, late night drinking and testosterone lead to an increase in crime, huh? :-) I have walked major roads late at night on the West side and have never felt unsafe. I have also not been a victim of crime.
Crime stats for Miami Beach are only tracked against the full time residents of the city (less than 90,000). However, the reality is that the crime is commited among the those 90,000 plus the city's 6 million annual visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or