Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:31 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times

Advertisements

You could image a lagoon-type beach like at Matheson Hammock, at one of the parks down there, or perhaps something like Hobe Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
It is already upscale, homes start at $400,000 in Coconut Grove with the exception of the west side.
I think the Grove already went through it's period of being THE upscale place to be, nowadays people go to Brickell or South Beach to be seen. But instead of dying out, what the Grove has done is become more local-oriented instead of touristy. Lots of good quality restaurants around there--not just expensive and cheap ingredients like some new ones in Brickell--and the Sandbar is quite a world away from the Ocean Drive.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:24 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I think the Grove already went through it's period of being THE upscale place to be, nowadays people go to Brickell or South Beach to be seen. But instead of dying out, what the Grove has done is become more local-oriented instead of touristy. Lots of good quality restaurants around there--not just expensive and cheap ingredients like some new ones in Brickell--and the Sandbar is quite a world away from the Ocean Drive.
Thats true but I would love to see more diversity in terms of the shops. Maybe clothing boutiques, small local grocery, butcher, fish market, etc. etc.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Thats true but I would love to see more diversity in terms of the shops. Maybe clothing boutiques, small local grocery, butcher, fish market, etc. etc.
Fish and meat market would be awesome!

Old 09-10-2013, 03:48 PM

984 posts, read 4,317,117 times
Quote:
^^^ Yep, right on. That's what's happening nowadays with the Grove.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Fish and meat market would be awesome!
Yeah imagine if it was like NYC or even europe. not in terms of density but in terms of service. In Brooklyn you have butcher, fruit stand, seafood shop, drycleaner (we have that in the Grove already) and tons of other stuff that caters to the neighborhood. We dont need 100 restaurants, whats the sense of that?! Grove wants to be called a village, well a village is self sustaining in every sense of that word!

Old 09-12-2013, 02:34 PM

633 posts, read 1,735,306 times
I am from germany, visiting Miami since 1998, year for year, and my fav. place in miami dade is COCONUT GROVE. I LOVE the grove. Because it is the only place which has still some flair, nice nature and is not highrise next to highrise and tourist scam.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
There used to be somewhat of a beach - Tahiti Beach, but developers took care of that.
I had totally forgot about that place. My mom had told me about it how students from UM would go there for fun and some kind of painting classes. Maybe that's why they called it "suntan U". It really is sad that it became yet another victim to Miami's FIRE economy and is now a place for the wealthy to hide out from the overfilled Miami area.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Yeah imagine if it was like NYC or even europe. not in terms of density but in terms of service. In Brooklyn you have butcher, fruit stand, seafood shop, drycleaner (we have that in the Grove already) and tons of other stuff that caters to the neighborhood. We dont need 100 restaurants, whats the sense of that?! Grove wants to be called a village, well a village is self sustaining in every sense of that word!
We can always hope for some of this village-within-a-city new urbanism with the redevelopment of a "main street" along Grand Avenue. Here's hoping Grand doesn't end up with just more condos, bars, and restaurants with a CVS at the corner. Also, Coral Gables trolley garage is nearby, why not have a stop on Grand where you can also transfer to the Miami trolley system? (please, PLEASE extend from Mercy Hospital all the way down to the Grove....)

Old 09-20-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
We can always hope for some of this village-within-a-city new urbanism with the redevelopment of a "main street" along Grand Avenue. Here's hoping Grand doesn't end up with just more condos, bars, and restaurants with a CVS at the corner. Also, Coral Gables trolley garage is nearby, why not have a stop on Grand where you can also transfer to the Miami trolley system? (please, PLEASE extend from Mercy Hospital all the way down to the Grove....)
To be honest, I think THAT is exactly what is going to happen. condos, probably publix instead of cvs and more bars and restaurants . One coconut grove blogger mentioned Miami should try and get the apple store to relocate to the grove. I think Apple is thinking about leaving the Beach. That would be a AWESOME anchor store which would then prompt like styled shops to move in also. Oh and why don't we have a really awesome coffee/tea house in the grove with live music, poetry readings etc? So much can be done. The trolley idea is a darn good idea too. You know the trolley that goes downtown Miami comes to the grove? It stops near Visaya and turns around, somewhere near there. Makes nooooo sense.

The only problem I see with developing grand west is, I cant imagine any families moving over there. The schools over there are terrible. You would have to rely on 20 somethings to fill in the gaps. But then you would probably have a very transient environment, as they switch jobs, leave the state etc. The village nature of the grove necessitates long standing residents, who build on a sense of community. I was just talking to my wife last night about various areas in Miami. We both agrees, we could NEVER imagine living anywhere else outside of the Grove. I just hope they can improve it a bit. The park master plan is a step in the right direction though. Oh and did you know they are going to have the Reggae Fest in the park along the water (forget its name) this year? It is usually in Bayfront Park, but we get it this year. Should be good for bringing in money.

PS

Here is the Grand Avenue master plan. Someone told me they felt bad because they are going to rip out all those low income apartments on Grand to build all the stuff, but how bad is that? Right now the area is crime riddled. I have two friends that have been robbed in that area, it is ridiculous. You can't allow low income to fester in one area like that. It would be better to build mixed income buildings if anything.

http://www.miamigov.com/planning/pag...VisionPlan.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami