Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 07:00 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times

Advertisements

Come back in 50 years, and let's see whether we finally have a Metro line to Miami Beach and Aventura and a tunnel under the Miami River and sewers that don't break and leak. Bonus points if we also come up with a solution for sea level rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 08:36 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Come back in 50 years, and let's see whether we finally have a Metro line to Miami Beach and Aventura and a tunnel under the Miami River and sewers that don't break and leak. Bonus points if we also come up with a solution for sea level rise.
well Hurricaneman1992 hopefully we won't have to wait 50 years to see a Metrorail line to Miami Beach however the citizens of Miami Beach did vote for the 2002 county wide Transit Tax and you then had the Mayor oppose the rail line after the vote when people started talking about "Undesirables" arriving on Metrorail!
What a absolute joke!

As for sewers Miami isn't the only city having to replace aging infrastructure either but hey! that's politics!

Sea Levels rising? That is a Federal responsibility not a local one. If Miami is going to drown because of rising sea levels it will do so along with New York City & New Orleans.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:40 AM

636 posts, read 611,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post
Having grown up in the Chicago area, I find much of the discussion here fascinating. I don't recall people ever talking much back in the day about whether it was a "world-class" city -- they were too busy complaining about the politics (when the first Mayor Daley was in office and his cronies were being indicted on a daily basis), the sports teams (this was the '70s and the Cubs, White Sox, Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks ranged from mediocre to downright horrific) and the weather (no comment needed). But when outsiders raised these criticisms, the reaction would be swift -- and angry.

You have to see the areas the tourists don't visit to really know what Chicago is all about. IrishTom is so right about that.
Interesting...since living here it's definitely occurred to me that the long term "native" Chi people are much less fixated on international status and recognition than the transplants (like myself). And I totally agree, tourists need to see more than the Loop, River North, and Wrigleyville to truly appreciate this place.

As for Miami, IMO it's criminally underrated as a city. I could understand why some people may not be able to realize its depth as (somewhat similar to LA in this regard) it can be a difficult place to get to know. My only real complaint is the public transpo could be a little better, which could allow people to see more than what's in the immediate vicinity of their hotels, downtown, and south beach.

Then again, most tourists that go anywhere don't seem to be very adventurous or genuinely curious about different aspects of the places they visit.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:16 AM

471 posts, read 621,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escondudo View Post
Is Miami a world class city?
Yes.

It attracts more than 23 million tourists per year.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:07 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
Miami actually doesn't feel like a "world class" city to me like NYC, Chicago, LA.

It's getting there, but the other day I got a gift card to "maggiano's Italian restaurant" a chain restaurant located throughout the US and when I looked up to see where I could use it..... to my surprise there is not one in all of Dade county lol. Kind of basic IMO.
Also, I was looking to do a TEFL certification which is a certification to teach English to Foreign Learners and no courses offered in all of Miami. lol lame. Fort lauderdale has one tho!!

idk, Miami has some world city aspects to it, but it's not full-on.... yet
Need a much more extensive metro system and a more solid middle class population.

Old 06-26-2015, 11:38 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Miami is ranked a Gamma World-Class city,as we are lacking in some things but strong in others. Don't forget we are the youngest big city in the U.S. at almost 119 years old (July 28th) and to be the 3rd largest(U.S.) and the 18th(WORLD) skyline is quite an accomplishment.

Is Miami World Class? | Boom or Bust: Miami

Old 06-26-2015, 01:33 PM

636 posts, read 611,750 times
OptimusPrime - if a sizable middle class is part of the criteria for a world-class city, than pretty much anyplace in the US is on the verge of losing that distinction.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Yes.

It attracts more than 23 million tourists per year.
I read Orlando had over 50 million, is it then world class? Because it looks like Rube Valhalla to me.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:02 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
well Hurricaneman1992 hopefully we won't have to wait 50 years to see a Metrorail line to Miami Beach however the citizens of Miami Beach did vote for the 2002 county wide Transit Tax and you then had the Mayor oppose the rail line after the vote when people started talking about "Undesirables" arriving on Metrorail!
What a absolute joke!
I'm not sure who all those "people" were...surely they were not the 70% of more of Beach residents who voted in favor of the PTP. The current Mayor is much better, and they've actually already taken the first steps to start the Baylink loop on the Beach side. But even if the Miami Beach mayor was in full support, the County mayor went ahead and used the PTP money instead to fill in budget gaps which should have been addressed in the County's general budget....effectively double-dipping from us taxpayers.

Quote:
As for sewers Miami isn't the only city having to replace aging infrastructure either but hey! that's politics!
True. Still needs to get done though. Parts of the City are actually still on septic tanks too--even locations zoned for industrial use! Not good when you want to attract tech industry.

Quote:
Sea Levels rising? That is a Federal responsibility not a local one. If Miami is going to drown because of rising sea levels it will do so along with New York City & New Orleans.
You can't just put it all on the Feds since "should taxpayers in Colorado and Utah really have to pay for sea level rise so people can party in Miami and New Orleans?" New York, OK, since that's our financial center, and the stock market is right there in the at an at-risk area: lower Manhattan. So in that case, yes, everybody in the US had better care care. But climate change in general is definitely a national issue that needs to be addressed by the Federal Government. However, as slow as climate change is, it is likely the Federal Government will not act in time to help us here on the "front lines." And if they did, saving New York would be top priority.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:54 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I'm not sure who all those "people" were...surely they were not the 70% of more of Beach residents who voted in favor of the PTP. The current Mayor is much better, and they've actually already taken the first steps to start the Baylink loop on the Beach side. But even if the Miami Beach mayor was in full support, the County mayor went ahead and used the PTP money instead to fill in budget gaps which should have been addressed in the County's general budget....effectively double-dipping from us taxpayers.

True. Still needs to get done though. Parts of the City are actually still on septic tanks too--even locations zoned for industrial use! Not good when you want to attract tech industry.

You can't just put it all on the Feds since "should taxpayers in Colorado and Utah really have to pay for sea level rise so people can party in Miami and New Orleans?" New York, OK, since that's our financial center, and the stock market is right there in the at an at-risk area: lower Manhattan. So in that case, yes, everybody in the US had better care care. But climate change in general is definitely a national issue that needs to be addressed by the Federal Government. However, as slow as climate change is, it is likely the Federal Government will not act in time to help us here on the "front lines." And if they did, saving New York would be top priority.
Sea level rise not only affects "party" cities like Miami & New Orleans or is that what you think of as Miami only being? Besides what does rising sea levels have to do with the subject at hand anyways? I don't see the correlation on whether or not Miami is a world class city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami