Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:00 PM

440 posts, read 1,495,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
The homeless will not move out of that area....Miami has been growing for years..this is nothing new.....you must not be from Miami.....homeless have always been in the downtown area....ever since i remember they have made thier home near the old Miami arena and then they scatter around the north side of downtown every now and then....Where do you think all these homeless people will go if you're so positive that downtown will be cleaned up?

It's good that you had a blast in downtown but it sounds more like you are just trying to give a different way of looking at downtown then what the reality of it is....basically..you see a post about what downtown is really like and you figure you can change peoples' minds by putting up that you had a blast there....exactly where did you go that it felt like you were in paradise downtown?

THASPECIAL .... this person was probably in the "Design District " not in Downtown Miami .... the Design District does have some cool bars , clubs and restaurants ... Downtown Miami does not .... and you are correct about the homeless issue ... I do not think any amount of expensive condos will force the homeless out of the area . Also just curious why do you seem to become so angry when anyone posts a perceived positive about Miami ... why lose sleep over someone liking an aspect about Miami ?

I like the nightlife in Miami Beach , but I would not live there .... the area cannot be all bad if it was then so many tourists and celebs would not party in Miami ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 05:34 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
A interesting part of the equation is the condos. With all these condos on the market and from what I have heard builders, contractors and flippers say many are empty and not sold. I am wondering what will happen to the area, will it become worse off because of the over zealousness off the housing market down here. I am also curious to see what is going to happen in south florida as the economy starts to slow down more and people stop traveling as much.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:01 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclehead View Post
THASPECIAL .... this person was probably in the "Design District " not in Downtown Miami .... the Design District does have some cool bars , clubs and restaurants ... Downtown Miami does not .... and you are correct about the homeless issue ... I do not think any amount of expensive condos will force the homeless out of the area . Also just curious why do you seem to become so angry when anyone posts a perceived positive about Miami ... why lose sleep over someone liking an aspect about Miami ?

I like the nightlife in Miami Beach , but I would not live there .... the area cannot be all bad if it was then so many tourists and celebs would not party in Miami ?

I like the sports teams and the tropical look and the atmosphere of Miami....it is my hometown and i love being from Miami....I just post on things because i think some people like to embelish and make realities seem watered down to prove how positive they are.....like the statements the guy i replied to made about the homeless in Miami and how he had a super great time there ......he must have been speaking of Brickell ave or the design district...Not Downtown though

Old 11-20-2007, 07:26 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
I am curious too. The condos will be the last to make a recovery. They are saying its going to take 4-5 years to sell all of those condos. We will probably hear of more law suits as those that bought these condos at their high prices sue the developers who have to lower their prices to sell these condos. And still some of those condos that get sold will still be empty because people from South America/Europe will buy them and only use them as vacation homes most likely. I don't think that our tourist industry will take a huge hit as many of our tourist are from overseas. But if the commisioners don't change downtown Miami to a place people want to hang out, party, dine, etc on the weekends. Downtown will still be dead from sunset to sunrise and on the weekends.

But I am curious to see how the rest of Miami-Dade county will handle the slow down. I think we have already seen the start of it, with the rise of crime in some areas where crime wasn't a major issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
A interesting part of the equation is the condos. With all these condos on the market and from what I have heard builders, contractors and flippers say many are empty and not sold. I am wondering what will happen to the area, will it become worse off because of the over zealousness off the housing market down here. I am also curious to see what is going to happen in south florida as the economy starts to slow down more and people stop traveling as much.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:00 AM

440 posts, read 1,495,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I like the sports teams and the tropical look and the atmosphere of Miami....it is my hometown and i love being from Miami....I just post on things because i think some people like to embelish and make realities seem watered down to prove how positive they are.....like the statements the guy i replied to made about the homeless in Miami and how he had a super great time there ......he must have been speaking of Brickell ave or the design district...Not Downtown though

OK , fair response that makes sense ... it just seems like some of your other posts had an "angry " tone to them , maybe I was perceiving your posts incorrectly

There is a lot of stuff about Miami that I do not like either , but I just cannot get myself to hate the place ... probably because I have great friends that live there and I have had great times on Miami Beach and in Key Biscayne as well .

Old 11-20-2007, 10:56 AM

670 posts, read 1,743,195 times
Ok, maybe it's my age. I remember the things that Tallrick mentions.
Here are my 2 cents:
1st. I do not beleive that neither downtown nor the Arena area will be "gentrified." There has been talk about cleaning up and bringing life to downtown Miami after dark for over 35 years! Biscayne Blvd will not revert back to it's glory days of the mid 50s (before I-95) in my lifetime. The crack whores will always be just a couple of blocks West on Miami Ave. All this hype is just that; developers' hype.
Now, Brickell is another story.
And as to Tabacco Road. I've posted about a year ago about my experiences there.
Before the blues there was Pac-Man. It was a late night hang out for lawyers, prostitutes and bartenders during the 70s and 80s. Anyone remember?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I am curious too. The condos will be the last to make a recovery. They are saying its going to take 4-5 years to sell all of those condos. We will probably hear of more law suits as those that bought these condos at their high prices sue the developers who have to lower their prices to sell these condos. And still some of those condos that get sold will still be empty because people from South America/Europe will buy them and only use them as vacation homes most likely. I don't think that our tourist industry will take a huge hit as many of our tourist are from overseas. But if the commisioners don't change downtown Miami to a place people want to hang out, party, dine, etc on the weekends. Downtown will still be dead from sunset to sunrise and on the weekends.

But I am curious to see how the rest of Miami-Dade county will handle the slow down. I think we have already seen the start of it, with the rise of crime in some areas where crime wasn't a major issue.
*sigh* things just don't look good man.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:38 PM

564 posts, read 2,045,666 times
Homelessness is definitely a problem throughout America, and especially in America's downtowns. There's a significant homeless population scattered throughout the streets in large downtowns all across America, including New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Houston and Philadelphia.

That said, I think Miami's streets could be better lit downtown at night. It's always had a feeling of being spooky, and I think the dark streetscapes contribute to this.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:42 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,608 times
The metro-mover now is free??? it has to be money laundry. LMAO!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,569 times
to clickhere: Moderator cut: orphaned
Honestly, he asked you a simple question - WHERE did you go in DT Miami on saturday night to have a good time ? I'd like to know as well. I live in Miami Beach, am I qualified ? If it was Brickell or Bayside, even though not exactly considered downtown - I get it ! But someone planning to visit Miami or move here will be misled by your info when they end up in our dark, dumpy, scary DT at night surrounded by construction mess and vagrants.
I understand you love this city and want to be optimistic, but it has to be based on something besides your wishful thinking. Want to compare South Beach nighlife to Ibiza - great ! Miami(downtown) to Manhattan ? Are you nuts ? Or is it me ?

Last edited by mbmouse; 11-21-2007 at 09:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami