Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 03:20 PM

34 posts, read 71,314 times

Advertisements

I'm from Europe and hoping to study in Miami next year.
What concerns me a lot is language issue in Miami and other Florida's counties.
Do I really need to know Spanish???
And what about racism? I've heard that "whites" are not well welcomed in southern states...

Old 11-20-2007, 03:25 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,811,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaliculus View Post
And what about racism? I've heard that "whites" are not well welcomed in southern states...
The only place you need to know Spanish is in Miami-Dade. I live in the most heavily Hispanic community in Broward County, speak not a word of Spanish, and I way beyond survive. This is true in most of the nation.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 PM

440 posts, read 1,491,995 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: insults cut
My friend there is as much or more racism in Europe than in the U.S. ... you will be fine here . Depending where you live in Miami Dade County really is a gauge on whether you should know at least some Spanish ... if you plan on living in Coral Gables , South Miami , Brickell , Pine Crest , Aventura , Miami Beach you will be fine .... Westchester , Hialeah , Carol City , Sweetwater parts near Flagler street you will need some Spanish .

Last edited by mbmouse; 11-21-2007 at 12:09 PM..

Old 11-20-2007, 04:20 PM

854 posts, read 2,854,282 times
Hi, I'm also from Europe (Germany), don't speak a word spanish and live in Miami. Yes, it would definitely be helpful to know some Spanish, but I thought it would be much harder. But I'm looking forward to attending nightclasses in order to learn spanish at the Miami-Dade-Community-College starting January 08.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:51 PM

398 posts, read 1,406,333 times
Whites not welcomed in Southern States? LOL Dude, it is a fact that at this pace, in 100 years, the White race will be almost completely extinguished (with tears in my eyes) and if there is one las White reservation, just like we have indian reservation, that will be somewhere in the deep South.

Now in Miami-dade, yes they are not welcome, cause this republic is a stolen land where Spanish has been imposed by force as the official language. I speak Spanish, understand Spanish, and don;t have words and time to write here the atrocities I hear every day against Whites and Black Americans.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:53 AM

11 posts, read 39,478 times
Lightbulb Illiterate in Miami

Hello Canaliculus and everyone who will read this...

I could not help laughing at this post. Every time that some one complains or wonders why Spanish speakers don’t learn English and speak it mainly is really not realizing the important problem that creates this issue. We all need to live and this is mainly achieved through communication. Many people are Pragmatic! If they have to deal with a majority of Spanish speakers they really don’t see where they could benefit form learning another language. This is wrong, everyone should be willing to learn as much as possible because it will some day! Please don’t confuse me for a Scientologist… (That’s a joke between me and a friend inside City-Data Forum)

If you’re coming to Miami you really should learn Spanish! "What?" Yes, learn Spanish because your probably smart enough learn another language. "Right?"

If you become Multi-lingual you can and will be more succefull, case and point!

Stop worrying about if English or Spanish rule the world. or a least here in Miami, if you don’t learn to bend your thinking, like the young palms trees down here during a Hurricane, I can surely see you were you'll be... just like everyone else complaining and announcing to the WORLD that they are just too old and stubborn (ignorant) to change their lives for a much easier flow.

Finally, I really understood your question about the "Racist Southern States."
If you intentions are to come to the US and "Dress in a WHITE HOODED outfit, I can see where, "what you heard would be correct!" Please educate yourself and rise from Ignorance and Mediocrities for benefit!

*Please forgive for writing like an idiot and offending those, who are highly educated here…*

Old 11-21-2007, 10:02 AM

548 posts, read 536,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamDoubleZ View Post
Hello Canaliculus and everyone who will read this...

I could not help laughing at this post. Every time that some one complains or wonders why Spanish speakers don’t learn English and speak it mainly is really not realizing the important problem that creates this issue. We all need to live and this is mainly achieved through communication. Many people are Pragmatic! If they have to deal with a majority of Spanish speakers they really don’t see where they could benefit form learning another language. This is wrong, everyone should be willing to learn as much as possible because it will some day! Please don’t confuse me for a Scientologist… (That’s a joke between me and a friend inside City-Data Forum)

If you’re coming to Miami you really should learn Spanish! "What?" Yes, learn Spanish because your probably smart enough learn another language. "Right?"

If you become Multi-lingual you can and will be more succefull, case and point!

Stop worrying about if English or Spanish rule the world. or a least here in Miami, if you don’t learn to bend your thinking, like the young palms trees down here during a Hurricane, I can surely see you were you'll be... just like everyone else complaining and announcing to the WORLD that they are just too old and stubborn (ignorant) to change their lives for a much easier flow.

Finally, I really understood your question about the "Racist Southern States."
If you intentions are to come to the US and "Dress in a WHITE HOODED outfit, I can see where, "what you heard would be correct!" Please educate yourself and rise from Ignorance and Mediocrities for benefit!

*Please forgive for writing like an idiot and offending those, who are highly educated here…*
I have had the experience of traveling around the world for business. And I see many countries where several languages are spoken.

Countries can change over time. America is located near Mexico and Cuba, and as time goes on we will naturally have more and more Spanish speakers in our society.

And estimates say that even just counting the Hispanic people that immigrated legally, the hispanic population will be greater than the caucasian population within 25 years.

So Spanish is here, English is here. No amount of complaining is going to change anything. America is going to have to learn to function as an English/Spanish bilingual country, it is as simple as that.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:09 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,811,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFlorida View Post
And estimates say that even just counting the Hispanic people that immigrated legally, the hispanic population will be greater than the caucasian population within 25 years.
This simply isn't true. The white (non-Hispanic, this is genuinely the stupidest word ever coined) population will be outnumbered by the minority population, with Whites still making a plurality of the citizens, increased social mobility in the Hispanic population, and (hopefully) a first generation of assimilated children.Here goes another Miami thread into the immigration forum.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-21-2007 at 10:22 AM..

Old 11-21-2007, 12:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,249,803 times
Quote:
Sorry Canaliculus but I am going to have to lock this thread. I know you were asking to clarify rumors you have heard in Europe about Miami. Unfortunately, some folks on this forum can not answer your question without turning the thread into and argument/debate about racial topics.
I will try to sum up everyones answers to you without the heat included.
No, you do not need to speak Spanish to live in Miami but it would be helpful.
Racism is alive and well everywhere in the world but not to the extent you have been told when speaking of Miami. I think it would be safe to say just about every race/nationality is represented in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami