Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 05:03 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Because you have a lot of money. Lets talk taxes in NY and California.
You are trying to apply Joe Shmoe, check to check living problems to, the guy who is ultra wealthy. The guy who has a lot of money isn't worried about paying NYC taxes, if it was a issue, NYC wouldn't attract the international jet set crowd it does. I don't even think there is ONE neighborhood in Miami that could compare to the Upper East Side in Manhattan in terms of sheer wealth, and those guys are not dumping the city because of taxes, it isn't a problem for them, they are rich after all. I think the only area in South Florida that comes close is West Palm, if I remember right. I remember we had a debate about this on these forum about a year or so ago, and if I remember right, W. Palm was up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:25 PM

93 posts, read 312,215 times
I saw Vanilla Ice working at a car wash in Hialeah.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:33 PM

57 posts, read 181,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, I am a millionaire and I choose to live in Miami (Beach). Different strokes for different folks as they say. You happen to think that Venice, Italy, is the best city in the world and you couldn't pay me enough to live there. Doesn't mean that either one of us is right or wrong.

My wife just returned from a trip to Austria, Switzerland, and Germany, and she said that whenever she mentioned to a local that she lived in Miami Beach, their eyes would light up and they'd be really impressed. She thought it was humorous because she was enamored with the cities she was visiting and the locals were all enamored with the thought of living in Miami Beach.
Well I am an art historian so I see the world very differently than you guys. Miami is so not for me...! Venice is the most beautiful city in the world but the last place I want to live in, because its on water and hard to get around. I always tell that to my students.
Those people from those countries your wife visited probably lit up because they live in very cold places and Florida is warm. My partner is from Northern Italy and lived in Switzerland for 10 years and I am sure his eyes would lit up with envy too knowing someone that lives in Miami, only because its warm, he hates the cold. Are you originally from Bethesda, MD?

Old 11-23-2013, 10:26 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by november4 View Post
Well I am an art historian so I see the world very differently than you guys. Miami is so not for me...! Venice is the most beautiful city in the world but the last place I want to live in, because its on water and hard to get around. I always tell that to my students.
Those people from those countries your wife visited probably lit up because they live in very cold places and Florida is warm. My partner is from Northern Italy and lived in Switzerland for 10 years and I am sure his eyes would lit up with envy too knowing someone that lives in Miami, only because its warm, he hates the cold. Are you originally from Bethesda, MD?
Not originally, but I lived in Bethesda/Chevy Chase for many years while I was working in Washington.

I'm not sure what being an art historian has to do with seeing the world differently, but you're entitled to your opinion. Have you traveled much? Venice wouldn't be in my top 20 most beautiful cities in the world. Hell, I don't even think it's one of Italy's most beautiful cities! But that's just my opinion.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:54 PM

147 posts, read 280,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
For real! This thread started out with someone asking why did the celebrities who were here in the 90s leave, but it turned into a name-dropping frenzy.
I know....with this logic that people are using.

Let's just talking about all the celebrities that live in Aspen or Austin. Heaps of celebs live there too.

I'm talking about Miami being a hot spot for the jet-set during the early 90s and ending at the turn of the millennium.

Sort of like St. Barths being the place to be during the 70s. Of course celebs still go there, but St. Barts time has long been gone.

Hippies still go to Goa, but it's hey-day was in the 60s!!!!!

Do you get it! It ain't about Vanilla Ice going to a Heat's game!!!!!

***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-24-2013 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Flaming/Personal Attack

Old 11-24-2013, 12:17 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
***mod cut***

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah i've been there View Post
among them: Pop singer whitney houston, italian movie goddess sophia loren, rapper vanilla ice, spanish crooner julio iglesias, broadway impresario harold prince, led zeppelin guitarist jimmy page, designer paloma picasso, author anne rice and bee gees robin, maurice and barry gibb.

And most famously sylvester salone, madonna, and gianni versace. Even oprah had a big condo on fisher island during the 90s.

What was it that made them go there. Besides obvious reasons like weather and parties---because those things are still there.

And why is it not like that today?

And i say the 90s because based on old articles i've been scanning the internet on the subject it seems that they all moved there at the beginning of the 1990s and all suddenly just left around 1998/1999.

Example: Madonna buys her coral gables mansion in 1992 and sells it in 1998...among other celebs.

Any thoughts? Curious to see if miamians have further insight in this.

madonna miami home | madonna joins galaxy of stars who call miami home - baltimore sun

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-24-2013 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 11-24-2013, 12:21 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,004,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You are trying to apply Joe Shmoe, check to check living problems to, the guy who is ultra wealthy. The guy who has a lot of money isn't worried about paying NYC taxes, if it was a issue, NYC wouldn't attract the international jet set crowd it does. I don't even think there is ONE neighborhood in Miami that could compare to the Upper East Side in Manhattan in terms of sheer wealth, and those guys are not dumping the city because of taxes, it isn't a problem for them, they are rich after all. I think the only area in South Florida that comes close is West Palm, if I remember right. I remember we had a debate about this on these forum about a year or so ago, and if I remember right, W. Palm was up there.
No, I am giving a reason why someone would prefer Miami over NYC. Someone asked, and I answered. And to think the ultra wealthy dont care about taxes is insane. They just don't like writing checks to the government. They hire accountants and lawyers to figure out how to save money because what they pay in taxes in one year is more than what most people make in their life times.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:26 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
First celeb was Gloria Estefan and she was a huge deal in Miami. Then Miami Vice kind of organically turned South Beach into a hip scene that not too many people were aware of--but there was a definite buzz in NYC about it in the late 80s. JFK Jr., Daryl Hannah, their friends, Dick Wolfe, European photographers, models started hanging out there. Then Versace--Madonna was friends with him so that may have been why she came. Stallone went to college in Miami and kept coming back, and is still hanging around South Florida.

After South Beach got really hip, it wasn't a nice little close-knit community that felt like a small town--it all changed. Madonna may have left because Versace was murdered. But, it's like when you live in NYC--nobody really thinks about famous people being there--you don't really see them too often and you are living your own life--work, home, etc. There were no big events that made people come and go, other than it evolved into a magnet for celebs and partiers.
True. In the six years that I lived in Miami, 3 of them in Miami Beach, I never saw a single celebrity...well, if you don't count the MTV awards in South Beach, and having police block us from crossing the street to the bus stop because some rapper and his black SUV entourage needed to go to their hotel....didn't matter when I told the police I could give a crap who it was, I just wanted to get to the bus stop so I could get home. (Yes, I had a car. No, I would not bother driving it in South Beach, you can walk faster.)

And I missed the damn bus and had to walk 60 blocks home. But I don't count that as a "sighting", I didn't see him, I didn't care who it was, I just wanted to get home. So, you don't see them, and you don't care to see them, you do, as the poster said, your own thing.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:10 AM

165 posts, read 276,915 times
Fun + Investments and tax write off

Old 11-24-2013, 11:58 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
All the international buyers? Miami has more international buyers purchasing homes than any other city in America? You taking the mick? First lets be clear, you spoke about your situation in NYC. We are not talking about Joe Shmoe who has to shlep to work every day. We are talking about people with enough money that they don't need to work a 9 to 5. So their experience in NYC is going to be FAR different than yours. Hell, when I lived in NYC, if I named dropped the people on my block alone, it would shock a lot of people. But thats childish, so I wont. I bring my background up to show, my life in NY (which is where I am from) is far different than your experience as well. You bringing up your preferences is really apples and oranges, when the conversation is about Stars and why they are no longer here.

Look at this article, Miami isn't on the list of places Chinese are buying up:

Chinese To Spend Billions On American Real Estate - Forbes

This one mentions south florida, not Miami in particular, I wonder why

Foreigners are buying U.S. homes - Oct. 21, 2011

List of 21 cities dominated by rich people, Miami isn't there:
Cities Where The Most Rich People Live - Business Insider

10 metro areas with the highest concentration of high income households
Where the rich people live - Feb. 12, 2013

^^

Miami not on the list.

My point is, Miami isn't all that. You guys need to stop reading the Miami Mullet Wrapper (miami herald). They talk up how hot the condo market is here, total bullocks! You go downtown and brickell and those condo buildings are still pretty darn dark. I posted a article on city data a year or so ago, that showed how the Realtor Association was double and some times triple counting sales, to make the Market seem far hotter than it actually was. Don't believe the hype.

Now your talking down Chicago, i don't think you must have spent a lot of time there. I have, my inlaws are there. You can't even begin to compare the wealth in that city to Miami, its laughable. Miami doesn't even have something on the level of a Evanston for example or a Naperville (a suburb of Chicago). Naperville was the first place in my life, I saw people with airplane hangers for garages (LITERALLY). I mean they had airplane landing strips in their back yards and they parked there mini jets in their garage/air plane hangers. Not to mention, cities like Chicago have OLD money. Miami is new money and a lot of people living on credit, faking like they have, what we call up north "long money".

But I don't want this to be a, lets crap on Miami debate. I like Miami. I think it has a LOT of potential, but I have travelled enough to know and understand, it still has a LONG way to go, and it still needs to sort out its priorities.
Ok, first of all, you seem to be emotionally invested in the popularity of Chicago, so I don't think you are being objective. I don't care how much old money is there, how many airplane hangars there are or where your in-laws live--I personally dislike it, and I don't see any wealthy people rushing to live there. And I simply do not believe that anyone with enough money to live anywhere they choose would prefer Chicago to London, Paris, Rome, Geneva, Berlin, Venice, Vienna, LA, San Francisco or many other cities. Your Forbes list of "Where the rich live" focuses on American wage-earners, which does not encompass wealthy Americans who do not work or the global community.

I lived in NYC for 10 years and still have an apartment there. Money doesn't change the cement and livability of NYC--just the size of your home, where you eat, etc. I actually enjoyed NYC more when working than when not.

You are correct--Miami is second to LA regarding international buyers and investors.

I am from Connecticut, which is also up north, and have never heard the term "long money," so perhaps it is a midwestern term, not a northern term, though people with new money seem compelled to talk about it, and people with old money usually consider it tasteless to discuss. The data in two of your cited articles dates back to 2011 so may not be totally accurate. I don't see Chicago on any lists--I wonder why?

Miami Still King to International Homebuyers | Multi-Housing News Online

Where The Rich Want To Live - Forbes

What Foreign Homebuyers Love Miami the Most?

France Solidifies Position as a Top Market for Miami Real Estate

Miami cracks Top 10 luxury residential markets | Miami Today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami