Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 05:31 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You could not be more right about the mass transit and big companies. IMO that is Miami's biggest weakness for anything. Whether we are talking about celebrities or college students looking for jobs. Both should be priorities for the county and city governments. As for Shopping yes Miami is no NYC but after NYC, LA, maybe a Chicago and San Fran maybe Miami's shopping is top notch. We have all the luxury brands down here. Many have multiple locations. It is no NYC and it will never be NYC. NYC will always have more things, including more celebrities. That is just a given.

What can happen is Miami close the gap. But that will take a lot of things working together and going right.
You know, I think after they finish the two malls (one in brickell, one in downtown proper) and then they finish building out The Design District, we will be on the way. But we still lack quality boutiques, that will be the final straw i think. I do think Miami can compete though. If I were the city, I would try to make Miami attractive to ateliers to come and open up small shops, give them a entire street with easy access to mass transit. Something like bond street in London.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 9,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Miami is nice, but after you get over the supposed jet set life style, you slowly start to realize this place is run like a team of monkeys are behind the control panel. If you have a lot of money, why would you settle for Miami? You could live in NYC and have world class EVERYTHING. The same goes for Chicago, DC, Boston etc. Do not get me wrong, I like Miami, but I like Miami for it's potential, not for what it has to offer today. It is like buying a video game system that can be upgraded via software. You first get it and your like, this is cool for the time being, but I know it can have x, y and z which would make it SOOOO MUCH BETTER. So you wait, because you know that the people who put the system out will eventually sort out the kinks, and there is enough to keep you busy with in the mean time. Well that is Miami. The difference is, the update never comes, or it comes in a very ridiculous, unhelpful sorta way. A way that leaves you scratching your head, as you try to sort out "how could the people in charge be so darn stupid". So, when you have money, you wake up one day and say "welp, that was fun, on to the next thing".
If you think DC has world class everything, you would be sadly mistaken. Actually, I think your analogy describes DC to a T lol. The District has gone from a decaying crime s***show ala Detroit to a legit functioning city in the last 10-15 years. It gets better every year. The whole city is blowing up with development. The DC government is still not the best, but they are rapidly getting much better.

DC has been fun, but I am definitely looking for a change and South Florida is up there.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:24 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
Maybe someone mentioned this already, but I remember going to Bowie's China Club. You could still stay at a relatively decent beach area Deco hotel for cheap.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:37 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Because the Russians came and scared them all away
haha One of the reasons I like going shopping here during season is that it gives me many opportunities to practice my Russian.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:38 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,362,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee1000 View Post
If you think DC has world class everything, you would be sadly mistaken. Actually, I think your analogy describes DC to a T lol. The District has gone from a decaying crime s***show ala Detroit to a legit functioning city in the last 10-15 years. It gets better every year. The whole city is blowing up with development. The DC government is still not the best, but they are rapidly getting much better.

DC has been fun, but I am definitely looking for a change and South Florida is up there.
I only visited DC briefly. Literally for ONE day. Was really impressed with what I saw. Was trying to get a job there actually. Cost of living there is out of control! During my research of the place I saw that there is a building boom going on in the District right now. It is a pretty impressive place. I know someone from DC who was telling me how much they miss home and how much they HATE Miami. Maybe your experience will be different though. Stay east of 95 or South of Dixie and I think you will be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami