Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 03:57 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderNYC View Post
I just renewed my NY state drivers license and the fee was $130, most other states its like $30.
DL Renewal is Florida is $48...

I just can't see how Miami is more expensive or as expensive as NYC is. Everytime I compare expenses with family that live in NYC I am WAY ahead of them. The only thing I get them on is home owners insurance...

And at one point, I did live in a Condo off on Brickell Ave...

I am not saying Miami is cheap either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Hey Hurricane, the Venezuelans and Brazilians that own the condos are filthy rich.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:04 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
The funny thing is that brickell and downtown condos are a total waste of money. The good thing is that when the Fed blows up the dollar, those foreign investors will be dumping those condos and running for the exits as fast as people did when Argentina crashed its currency.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The funny thing is that brickell and downtown condos are a total waste of money. The good thing is that when the Fed blows up the dollar, those foreign investors will be dumping those condos and running for the exits as fast as people did when Argentina crashed its currency.
The value is in the location (and demand), not the quality of the condos. The condos are just plain junk, cheap made; it is sad because Brickell is an excellent location, too bad the condos they threw up are poor quality.

I rent in Brickell and love the location, but I cannot ever bring myself to buy a condo here.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:00 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The value is in the location (and demand), not the quality of the condos. The condos are just plain junk, cheap made; it is sad because Brickell is an excellent location, too bad the condos they threw up are poor quality.

I rent in Brickell and love the location, but I cannot ever bring myself to buy a condo here.
it is that bad? have you noted any exceptions?

Old 12-04-2013, 10:50 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
it is that bad? have you noted any exceptions?
I am sure there are exceptions, but I have not come across any, nor do I personnally know anyone that lives in an exception. I have looked at condos to buy around the Brickell area, none are impressive given the price asked. But like I stated, the location drives the value. I am looking for location, but I also want value in the property itself.

Bad of course is subjective, many people are use to it and have never lived in anything else and sum it up to "that is just how it is". That is BS, I have lived in high quality condos where the small annoyances of the neighbors, outside, etc, were non-existent. And where the construction quality down to the light switch was high quality.

Condos in Brickell; paper thin walls, I can hear everything my neighbors say (when I have them, I do not have any now); applicanes are GE but cheaply made like half of my stove stopped working and dishwasher broke, and the hadnles to the faucets break easily. Thank goodness for hurricane proof sliding glass doors or I am sure they would be cheap as heck to hearr everything outside (I face the water, but for those facing the street). The AC breaks every 6 weeks (they cannot fix it, design problem with the water drain, and the main unit on top of the building needs repaired every three months it seems). Impossible to set the heat, it will either never turn on, or never turn off. A few of the electric plugs do not work. Carpet pulling up. Elevators stop working or only one will work, etc.

Yes, some of this is maintenance, but a building this new should not have these problems. I have lived in much older buildings and never had these issues come up to even get fixed.

These are just things I have come across, people I know have came across numerous problems as well. I am surprised though how many people think this stuff is normal.

I could accept all of this, but I cannot accept the noise. The paper thin walls are just an idiotic way to construct condo buildings. Who in the world thought it would be a great idea to allow everyone to listen so easily to their neighbors? And it is these walls which cannot be changed, which is why I am not purchasing a condo here unless I come across a better constructed one. (actually most getting a house, but would love to reside in Brickell if could)

Old 12-04-2013, 10:59 AM

141 posts, read 306,628 times
No.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I am sure there are exceptions, but I have not come across any, nor do I personnally know anyone that lives in an exception. I have looked at condos to buy around the Brickell area, none are impressive given the price asked. But like I stated, the location drives the value. I am looking for location, but I also want value in the property itself.

Bad of course is subjective, many people are use to it and have never lived in anything else and sum it up to "that is just how it is". That is BS, I have lived in high quality condos where the small annoyances of the neighbors, outside, etc, were non-existent. And where the construction quality down to the light switch was high quality.

Condos in Brickell; paper thin walls, I can hear everything my neighbors say (when I have them, I do not have any now); applicanes are GE but cheaply made like half of my stove stopped working and dishwasher broke, and the hadnles to the faucets break easily. Thank goodness for hurricane proof sliding glass doors or I am sure they would be cheap as heck to hearr everything outside (I face the water, but for those facing the street). The AC breaks every 6 weeks (they cannot fix it, design problem with the water drain, and the main unit on top of the building needs repaired every three months it seems). Impossible to set the heat, it will either never turn on, or never turn off. A few of the electric plugs do not work. Carpet pulling up. Elevators stop working or only one will work, etc.

Yes, some of this is maintenance, but a building this new should not have these problems. I have lived in much older buildings and never had these issues come up to even get fixed.

These are just things I have come across, people I know have came across numerous problems as well. I am surprised though how many people think this stuff is normal.

I could accept all of this, but I cannot accept the noise. The paper thin walls are just an idiotic way to construct condo buildings. Who in the world thought it would be a great idea to allow everyone to listen so easily to their neighbors? And it is these walls which cannot be changed, which is why I am not purchasing a condo here unless I come across a better constructed one. (actually most getting a house, but would love to reside in Brickell if could)
I have a friend who lives a block away from the Jade. It is almost as if you two were comparing notes. He has said the SAME things you have! That really sucks! The people who just except it, are they Floridians? Maybe they don't know any better.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
I kind of find it hard to believe that developers with a high-quality reputation would stake their name on cheap poor designs and materials as I have read on other forums that they are well-known here in Miami. So it can't be all of the condos in Brickell, as that would be ludicrous, I am sure as in the last boom there were many buying and then flipping to make a profit.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I kind of find it hard to believe that developers with a high-quality reputation would stake their name on cheap poor designs and materials as I have read on other forums that they are well-known here in Miami. So it can't be all of the condos in Brickell, as that would be ludicrous, I am sure as in the last boom there were many buying and then flipping to make a profit.
what does "buying and flipping to make a profit" have to do with shoddy construction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami