Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 02:43 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,309,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLrunner View Post
I don't see how this area can support, downtown, midtown, Brickell CitiCentre and World Center.......I do find it interesting that Brickell CitiCentre is already going vertical and as far as I know has not announced any anchor tenants, and World Center is not even ready to break ground and has announced major tenants.......
apparently the people who are backing Brickell citiCentre are the same people who run Bal Harbor. Bal Harbor is losing tons of tenets to Design District, so I think the management team at Bal Harbor shops are trying to put the press on the Design District by getting high end shops into Brickell CitiCentre, but as you and others have said, can this city support all of that? I honestly don't believe so, but we will see. We have all this retail stuff coming in, but I don't remember the last time I heard of a major corporations relocating downtown and providing high end jobs. I know there are claims of all these supposed foreigners Miami is getting, but I have my doubts about that. Besides they seem to flock to the beach, not the city center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 03:52 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,957,484 times
I agree that it is a little questionable where these people will come from. But lets be honest, I think the people at Macy's Bloomingdales and other large corporations know more than us. Miami is a shopping mecca for tourist, especially from South America, things are a lot cheaper here. Maybe Aventura Mall will suffer a bit? I definitely think at least on large shopping area in Downtown will do very well since there are none. Two. Well with two each ones is going to have to offer its own thing. Seems like WorldCenter wants to be more like a mall and I do think Citi Centre will be more upscale. If that is the case it can work.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,309,505 times
FlyMIA

You could be right. Time will tell.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
FlyMIA

You could be right. Time will tell.
Yep. Who knows. I am sure people are doing their research. I just hope that with WorldCenter we don't get some mall and then development stops. CitiCentre is set, we know what we are getting because it is all being built Only thing not going up right away is the large office building. That is some time away though. There is still a occupied building on some of that land.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:33 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,793,163 times
Let's just hope that they don't end up like the OMNI did.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,917,282 times
I'm sure all the condo developers and mortgage loan officers back in 2007 also "knew more than the rest of us..."

Hard to sit back and put on the brakes if you're caught up in Bubble 2.0.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I'm sure all the condo developers and mortgage loan officers back in 2007 also "knew more than the rest of us..."

Hard to sit back and put on the brakes if you're caught up in Bubble 2.0.
I agree. But I am talking about corporations here that are not "too big to fail" Also with the condos the majority of these condos are being paid in cash. Developers lost a lot money in the crash too and they learned their lesson. At least one would hope!

Old 12-07-2013, 01:15 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,917,670 times
Much of the retail space coming to Miami will be supported by convention business. So, they're not forecasting the retail need based on current or forecast residents of the city. City growth + tourism + convention visitors.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:51 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,917,282 times
^This sounds reasonable. I suppose it's how things work in, say, Las Vegas too.

At least we locals can have access to amenities that otherwise our local economy wouldn't support.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:38 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,917,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
^This sounds reasonable. I suppose it's how things work in, say, Las Vegas too.

At least we locals can have access to amenities that otherwise our local economy wouldn't support.
There are some advantages to living in a tourist city. Whether they outweigh the negatives is another story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami