Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:16 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,745,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
The homeless population was huge because the Camillus House which served them was located right in the heart of downtown on NW 1st. Avenue. Since then they have built a brand new facility at NW 7th. Avenue west of I-95 hence the visibilty of the homeless has diminished considerably.

This is their new shelter:

Looks more like a hospital and it is a full fledged facility that not only houses the homeless but treats all addictions & provides healthcare, also has an educational program for job training.
At least Miami takes care of their homeless unlike Orlando which now jails group of volunteers who feed the homeless in a downtown park!
I once volunteered in their soup kitchen for thanksgiving and I can say they run a very tight ship and are staffed with some of the nicest folks you can ever meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 01:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Well the thing is most of the homeless are harmless and at worst an annoyance when they are panhandling. Every city has this problem.
Perry335654 I have heard of other cities rounding up their homeless and giving them a one way Greyhound bus ticket to Miami.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:59 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
I should also add, Camilus house isn't the only homeless shelter down there. There is another one, I can't remember the name, it is on 2nd avenue I think, as soon as you go under the metromover heading north.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:13 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
^ The Miami Rescue Mission. I have been in there before with a colleague of mine to meet one of the pastors that is a friend of his.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ The Miami Rescue Mission. I have been in there before with a colleague of mine to meet one of the pastors that is a friend of his.
Im thinking about another one. it is a person's name. Ok, do you know where the old cemetery is? There is this really huge, beautiful red brick condo next to it? Right across the street from it is a stalled development that has just been sitting for like two years now. Then if you head south from that, on your right is a shelter. You know the one I am talking about? Its annoying I cant remember the name. I think it is Chapman Homeless Shelter or something like that. I saw the Arsht Center neighborhood master plan, I don't know what the city is planning long term in that area, but it doesn't include this place I am talking about, given what the map rendering shows.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:36 AM

97 posts, read 140,918 times
YES! FINALLY! Pedestrian friendly = more people walking = more activities = more business = more alive streets = safer = MASS TRANSIT!

Miami might finally become a real big city. Hopefully this won't take forever to happen like other things...or get g ores like Miami 21...-_-

Old 12-13-2013, 03:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonte View Post
YES! FINALLY! Pedestrian friendly = more people walking = more activities = more business = more alive streets = safer = MASS TRANSIT!

Miami might finally become a real big city. Hopefully this won't take forever to happen like other things...or get g ores like Miami 21...-_-
Its already a real big city. A lot of development plans for any city end up being just hype.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:46 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
The fact is that an "urban core" is just an excuse to sell off run down areas to suckers before the market collapses again. When automobiles and suburbs became commonplace almost everyone fled the cities for a better way of life. Agenda 21 aside, there is no way you can convince people to be warehoused in a small area and be as happy as they would with more elbow room. Since there is no industry, there is no reason to pile people up in cities anymore. The exception would be if inner city living was cheap enough to entice younger people, or the retired would feel safe enough to give up the yard work and pile up in those pop up condos.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:27 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The fact is that an "urban core" is just an excuse to sell off run down areas to suckers before the market collapses again. When automobiles and suburbs became commonplace almost everyone fled the cities for a better way of life. Agenda 21 aside, there is no way you can convince people to be warehoused in a small area and be as happy as they would with more elbow room. Since there is no industry, there is no reason to pile people up in cities anymore. The exception would be if inner city living was cheap enough to entice younger people, or the retired would feel safe enough to give up the yard work and pile up in those pop up condos.
Except that nowadays suburbs are built up as townhouse communities and condos, so the traffic congestion is the same or worse than downtown, and you can't walk, bike, or ride transit anywhere to avoid the traffic. Also nowadays younger people are willing to live with roommates (often the same or cheaper than their own place in the suburbs!) just to be able to live in those "popup" condos. And also gas and car repairs used to be much easier on the wallet. Nowadays suburbs are not nearly as much "the better life" as they were 50 years ago. One major thing keeping suburbs popular with families is the better public schools, which are not as relevant for young professionals. Nowadays many people prefer to live close to things, meaning things are "piled up" in cities. Where I work every year we get coworkers moving closer in to the city because they're simply fed up with the traffic. Perhaps suburbs became too popular for their own good?

Old 12-14-2013, 11:47 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
they are removing urban furniture to get rid of the homeless? @_@
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami