U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:30 AM

6,968 posts, read 14,499,002 times

Advertisements

City officials are starting to realize that for an urban center to be of any real use, it has to be user friendly. This means safe, wide, and well maintained sidewalks. It also means providing shade, especially when it gets so blazing hot here. To this end, the city commission will vote tomorrow on an initiative that would:

"Start the process of turning the city streets into a Downtown Pedestrian Priority Zone, an initiative that would widen sidewalks, create tree-lined canopies, reduce clutter, slow down traffic and make right turns on red lights illegal."

You can read more about it here link

Brickell has a similar long term goal according to the "Brickell Area Streetscape Implementation Guidelines", which you can find here link

This is really an exciting time for urbanist living in Miami, as the city is really starting to take meaningful steps to compete with other major cities, in providing safe, walk-able streets for pedestrians. Now if they can sort out their shoddy construction issues with condos and a lack of well-paying intellectual jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 08:54 AM

6,853 posts, read 18,293,355 times
This is awesome news! We've needed downtown to be fixed to attract people back to downtown. Hopefully this will get rid of many of those tacky electronic stores and bring in more mainstream stores.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:04 AM

In one article (not sure if it is the one I linked to), it said there was a law passed that allowed homeless to take certain liberties in public. Such as nudity, making a fire for cooking and relieving themselves. This in my opinion is to much. They want to do that, then give them a area outside of the city center to be able to do all these things. That homeless issue downtown is a MAJOR issue in my concern. There are certain streets (further north, way from Flagler) that i don't feel safe going down.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 AM

6,853 posts, read 18,293,355 times
They will have to deal with the homeless issue in downtown if they want to make downtown a place to go after dark, or even for the daytime visitor for that matter. Who wants to walk down a street that smells like pee or filled with homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:31 PM

2,953 posts, read 3,581,216 times
Thanks OP, I wasn't aware of Brickell's plans, and I had found it odd that the Herald article didn't even mention Brickell...where most of the recent growth has been.

I think the heat is an over-rated problem and the "elephant in the room" is that people don't feel safe walking around. Most walking, apart from fitness walking, would be in rush hour and evenings, when direct sunlight is less of an issue. No doubt it's critical for people to feel safe walking in the evening and nightime, not just at lunch hour! In addition to the crosswalks, lighting, and traffic regulation, I think we need more police patrol on foot and bike in downtown and Brickell. But of course somebody needs to be willing to pay those cops...

The downtown homeless nowadays are much less than 5-10 years ago, and the trend will continue with the redevelopment of Park West and parts of Overtown (such as AAF station and World Center). It's becoming more like the homeless situation in Miami Beach, which is not a huge problem.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:11 PM

hurricane good points

They also need to develop the west side of downtown. Its a bunch of run down shops right now. They need to tear that stuff down, make street level shopping and above store apartments/condos. This should encompass every square each of that west side. you do that and your homeless problem diminishes. Well that and a police presence as you stated.

As for overtown and that area just west of the Adrienne arsht which is a dead zone check this out:

Area Just west of Adrienne Arsht:

Master Plan - Town Square Neighborhood Development Corporation (TSNDC) - Town Square Neighborhood Development Corporation (TSNDC)

Overtown

http://www.miamicra.com/seopwcra/doc...Plan082002.pdf

Pharrell Williams And Chad Oppenheim Have Huge Plans For Overtown: Ice Cream City - Architectural Craziness - Curbed Miami

http://www.miamigov.com/planning/doc...Masterplan.pdf

i think in another 10 yrs overtown is not going to look ANYTHING like it does today. I also think long time residents will be left out of the picture.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:40 AM

8,287 posts, read 10,843,395 times
The homeless population was huge because the Camillus House which served them was located right in the heart of downtown on NW 1st. Avenue. Since then they have built a brand new facility at NW 7th. Avenue west of I-95 hence the visibilty of the homeless has diminished considerably.

This is their new shelter:

Looks more like a hospital and it is a full fledged facility that not only houses the homeless but treats all addictions & provides healthcare, also has an educational program for job training.
At least Miami takes care of their homeless unlike Orlando which now jails group of volunteers who feed the homeless in a downtown park!

Last edited by MiamiRob; 12-12-2013 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 01:43 PM

MiamiRob

Some of the homeless didn't get the memo. There are still streets FULL with them in the north east corner of downtown. I drove through there once around 2 in the morning, it looked like the movie 28 days later. I hate to see how it was back in the days.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:55 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,950,005 times
A lot of the homeless come from the northeast as Miami is a haven with more desirable weather in the winter, so this will always be a problem.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/1...urn-court.html

http://watchdog.org/106552/battle-co...miami-streets/

Wow! from 8,000 to 800 homeless that is a drastic decline but still needs work as this city is going more urban with all of the new construction of condominiums.

Last edited by perry335654; 12-12-2013 at 02:14 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 02:14 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,912,744 times
Yes the homeless are still downtown and Hubby tells me every day there will be plenty panhandling. Although they have taken steps to help by removing benches .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami