Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 02:13 AM

529 posts, read 1,145,025 times

Advertisements

My fault, i thought it was just a survey because of the structure lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
The only time I can get Comcast to negotiate is if I want more than internet. I guess they know I can't get UVerse so they know I won't leave. I envy people who live where there is cable and UVerse. I just can't go back to ATT DSL. Need good internet for work and DSL is as slow as molasses in my neighborhood.

I didn't realize you were talking about an efficiency. I was talking about a regular 1 bedroom apartment with a bathroom and kitchen. The op needs at least a two bedroom place. Remember, he said he's a family of four so an efficiency won't cut it.

My cell phone contract is up in February. I can't wait to get on a pay as you go plan. My son is using the TMobile one and I think he pays $45 a month? If you want a new phone on a pay as you go the Nexus 5 isn't a bad option. A lot cheaper than an unlocked iphone or Samsung.
Still, I'd like to hear what everyone has to say on it, because I'd like to see if others are able to rent and survive so cheap.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 AM

46 posts, read 113,676 times
So far,it seem that all kinds of insurance are expensive...I understand now all the populism from politicians...So,if u have the avg income,u just...survive...

Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonaproudmiamian View Post

A2) Mortgage. 230 k house at 3.5 % with a twenty thousand down so 210 k financed
A3) HOA fees none since we deliberately looked at a place that had none
A4) Home maintenance,service..
A5) House insurance,flood,hurricane etc...insurance 3k no flood and taxes for this year 2k

Effectively a monthly mortgage payment with taxes and insurance of 1525 but we have a on site rental income of 600 a month so 975.00 when all is said and done.
Y

B1) Federal income taxes family of 2 with two college aged sons (schools were both paid off with florida prepaid)we have dual incomes but live off of only one as our life plan so 65k gross
B2) State taxes none in Florida
B3) Municipal taxes7 percent

C) Private insurance we have to pay for my health insurance since I am self employed I am 49 we pay this year 250 a month, next year it WILL be 400 a month for a 5k deductible.

D1) Car loan ( if any ) none since we paid off both cars and plan to only repair the ones we have till they die.
D2) Car insurance we have no frills bare min insurance on both cars about 2k for both
D3) Car fuel+maintenance +parking + extras 3.30 a gallon hubby drives from cutler bay to dadeland station I go to doral area and baptist hospital area twice to three times a week. Hubby's yearly metro rail parking and cost is about 1200k

E1) Electricity bill fixed power bill so about 230 a month we have it at 74 at night and 75 during the day while it is hot and we have a pool pump that runs from 10 am to 4 pm.
E2) Water bill have sewer here so it is high so about 60 a month
E3) Sewer bill see above
E4) Cable tv,sat tv, landline phone,internet billcomcast with Internet about 100 a month
E5) Cellphone bill for both phones about 120 a month I have a 3G smart phone plan hubby has regular

F) Food normally it is just the two of us and both of my twenty something boys, but I also have a grandson so about about 700 to 800 a month but that includes pampers, and other household items that doesn't include food alone
We live very frugally and our boys earn their own money and do not live with us, except one might have to come back with us next year. Our life plan for the past five years was to live off of one salary to help us for retirement and since I sell heavy equipment and parts for a living it is not stable and some months are good some months are not. I am 49 and hubby 54 so our goal is to build as much as we can towards paying off the house and having retirement. So we do NOT dip into what ever I make which on bad years it can be as low at 30k on a good year it could be over six figures. We also do not live the south Florida "lifestyle" and could care less for any bling.

If you have young kids there is a lot more expense but it can be done.

Last edited by Cubanchic; 12-16-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 AM

Private insurance at ...$5K deductible..?
Does than mean u pay..any bill up to ..$5 K every time u r admitted into a hospital..?

Old 12-16-2013, 10:18 AM

That is health insurance that is private, already checked with ACA plans and they are even higher and with a higher deductible. What that 5 k is out of pocket cost per year the insurance covers dr visits and wellness plus RX. If I had a hospital stay I would be required to pay 5k towards my bill. Considering that a emergency trip to any hospital could be thousands it is insurance to not go bankrupt. We have enough savings to cover this if it should ever happen.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Oy,your income is generous,by euro standards, but...many steep bills.
.U make "a lot",u lose..a lot...
Families which make less than 50K must live...very modestly...

Old 12-16-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonaproudmiamian View Post
Oy,your income is generous,by euro standards, but...many steep bills.
.U make "a lot",u lose..a lot...
Families which make less than 50K must live...very modestly...
Yeah but your taxes are high that covers your insurance, and schooling is better. If it were not for our jobs hubby works for the county and has benefits and my business carters to south america, me and hubby would have moved to someplace where the cost of living wasn't so high. But we also have family and the grand child here so we deal the best we can here just to be next to them.

50k can be done because we know of families that make that and lower and they survive, it is just what expectations you want and they areas you live in. Where we use to live before buying this house was very working class and for a while I lived as a single mom and supported my two young boys with less then 30k a year. You have used cars that you get the min required auto insurance. You don't go out to eat much but enjoy parks, beaches and other free activities. The grade schools are ok but you help your children with school work and studies so they may qualify for a magnet program.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:02 AM

107 posts, read 164,101 times
Lol!

Old 12-16-2013, 01:01 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,938,804 times
This is for a married couple without children.

A1) just under $1k. 800 sq. ft. 1/br in an older building but a convenient, safe neighborhood.
A2) ---
A3) ---
A4) $5 for light bulbs?
A5) --- (do not carry renter's insurance)

B1) comes out to ~15% in the end.
B2) --- only sales tax
B3) --- only sales tax

C) Medical + Dental is around $400, through employer. We have the

D1) --
D2) $80/month....but has been over $200!
D3) Gas ~ $100. I also get a monthly transit pass through work, $70/month. Car repairs come up every few months, anywhere from $200-500. I get high mileage synthetic so my oil changes run around $50 4x per year.

E1) Summer A/C @ 76 night/78 day: $150. Winter A/C at 75 or below: $100. As low as $50 when it was actually cool one year and I didn't run the A/C at all. It's a very old, inefficient A/C unit (which comes hand in hand with the older building.
E2) --- included in rent
E3) --- included in rent
E4) $100 (vonage global plan + internet, basic cable included in rent)
E5) $130 ($110 is wife's iPhone, $20 for my tracfone with triple minutes and low usage, LOL).

F) $400-500 for groceries. This is where we splurge. Oriental groceries, and fresh fruit and vegetables, occasional shopping at Whole Foods and Fresh Market...not cheap!

So all together, living expenses of roughly $2.5K for a couple living in a cheap 1 br apartment that's still a 45 minute rush-hour drive from work and an hour+20 mins. by bus + bike. With 2 children, I'd count on adding $1.5-2k on top of this. Hence, the "married without children" for the time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: