Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 06:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times

Advertisements

Some history of the area and what it once was.

Key Biscayne to Westwood Lakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 08:59 PM

26 posts, read 78,283 times
Wow, cool history, I can't believe our house was selling for only $5k, and veterans were making $35 per week back then. It's crazy how times change. One thing I will definitely agree with is the quality and durability of the homes built back then. Even though our home was built in the 50's, it's as tough as a rock. That baby isn't going no where. That type of quality and craftsmanship is hard to come by nowadays.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:51 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,267 times
Thanks Tallrick! The old house does have a lot of memories.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:40 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
A friend's grandfather knew Frank Mackle and serviced the typewriters in their Coral Way office. Very different than today's bubble head developers. Back then Miami was not in the stream of drug money, so they had to build homes people could actually afford. Banks were tight and careful who they wrote mortgages to, so the Mackle way of selling property opened up home ownership to the lower middle class. When I built my new home I used the same techniques to build my 1950's style all concrete home, which is only 1500 square feet. No drywall in this baby, and terrazzo floors and it's off grid too. Once today's funny money system fails, I can see a return to those tiny homes. As for crime, the name "the square" is new information to me.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:36 AM

14,927 posts, read 12,123,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Some history of the area and what it once was.

Key Biscayne to Westwood Lakes
Interesting article, thanks!

Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 PM

253 posts, read 434,102 times
I live in that area. The burglaries have been on the uptick in recent years. My sister left her home for 15 minutes and had her back door jimmied open and a few things stolen. Neighbors reported young adults hanging around the hedges at the side of her home not long before it happened. An elderly lady two houses down from me similarly had her home broken into from the back door. It prompted my neighbor to install a loud system, "Warning! You have entered an area protected by a home security system! Leave immediately!"

A couple of years ago my aunt had two young guys come to her front door and convince her to take a look a look at a supposed problem in her back yard. When she left with one of them, she realized the second guy hadn't followed and that she had left her front door unlocked. She raced back to the front of the house just in time to see the second guy exiting. He denied it but they jumped in the car and took off. Sure enough, the guy stole her purse and some items of value.

Lots of suspicious activity. I've seen cars stopped at intersections late at night for long periods, as if they were casing the area. It happens too frequently to be normalcy. I've had people come to my door posing as salesmen for home security systems. They ask questions about the age of your system and how sophisticated it is. It seemed like a ruse to find out if you had a system. When I asked about the company they worked for they babbled a name I didn't recognize and obviously didn't like the topic. One of them told me they had installed a system for my neighbor. I asked the neighbor about it and he had no idea what I was talking about. I contacted the police and they said they were well aware of that practice.

The police are indeed trying to put a stop to the problems. I've seen more frequent presence in the area. One officer stopped at my door about a year ago and told me he lived in the area and it was a priority. Overall it seems to have quieted down somewhat but I'm still on guard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami